GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 10:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad news about a kitebuilder, flier, friend  (Read 4759 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: September 25, 2009, 03:21 AM »

I received the following this morning from Hank Manseau:
With a most saddened heart I am sorry to have to tell you that our dear friend, Marty Sasaki, passed away, in hospital, last Saturday morning of sepsis.

Marty's body will be cremated sometime this week.  Marty’s long-time and dearest partner, Joanne Klys (rhymes with “eyes”), is responsible for all arrangements.  She is planning to have a memorial service for friends and family in Arlington, MA, sometime later.  Marty also leaves his immediate family -- mother, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew -- in California.

Joanne is responsible for dealing with a monumental number of decisions which have been compounded by Marty’s sudden passing.  She has created this email address through which we can communicate our condolences: “marty_nirvana@verizon.net”.  She is also planning to have a memorial web site for Marty on line in the next few weeks and will disseminate that information as soon as the site is up.   

I have included (below) the obituary which Joanne will send to the Boston Globe for publishing on Sunday the 30th.

Deceased, September 19 – Marty Shigeo Sasaki, 55, of Arlington, after a brief illness. Son of  Kumiko Sasaki of Hawthorne, California and of the late Kenneth Sasaki; brother to Gwen Brockman of California; uncle of Clay Brockman and the late Amanda Brockman; and special friend of Joanne Klys of Arlington. Marty was born in Hawaii, spent his childhood in California, and lived his adult life in the Boston area. He was educated at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and followed a career in software engineering.   Master Woodworker, Champion Archer, Musician, Kite Builder, Model Plane Builder, Writer, Photographer, Fisherman, Amateur Magician, Science Guru. Mentor and Treasured Friend.  Marty pursued the simple things in life and encouraged all those around him to have fun.  He touched so many.  And everything he did was magic.

Burial will be private. A memorial service is planned for a later date. Contact “marty_nirvana@verizon.net ” with comments.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:18 AM »

Sad news indeed. Rest in peace Marty.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:46 AM »

RIP Marty.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:33 AM »

I am in New Orleans and just popped on to see what was up.

This is not what I wanted to see.

Only knew Marty through e-mails and 4 of his kites. If the kite reflects the man, then Marty was a very smooth, reserved and quick to respond person who loved the good breeze.

God bless Marty. I'll be flying your kites when back to Las Vegas.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Charly
Trade Count: (+23)

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:34 PM »

I.m with john here.  I never met Marty in person.  I only got to know him through his e-mails and his kites.  RIP Marty you will be missed.

Charly

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store and not a government agency!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:13 PM »

From rec.kites to GWTW, Marty was one of my favorite "voices" in the kite world. I've missed him for quite a few years now and always hoped he'd be able to get back into kiting some day.

The vented Katana is one of my favourite venteds. Marty said he'd make me one if he ever got caught up with other projects. I'll appreciate John's that much more now.

Smooth winds, Marty

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:17 PM »

From rec.kites to GWTW, Marty was one of my favorite "voices" in the kite world. I've missed him for quite a few years now and always hoped he'd be able to get back into kiting some day.

Huh Get back into kiting?  He was President of Kites Over New England (KONE) in 2008 and remained on the Board of Directors in 2009. I think of late, most of his postings were to the NEKITE mailing list.  I remember his sign-off musings in his last "Letter from the President" in the KONE Newsletter bringing a smile to my face.  I expect it will continue to do so everytime I think about it.

I have snipped it here in the hopes that it brings a few more smiles.

ATB,
Sam

I'll close by relating what I've been during these wintry months. My winter past-time is losing gloves and mittens. I've really refined this to an art. I must be doing things subconsciously, usually I first lose one glove, often the left glove. I buy a new pair, and then lose the right glove of the new pair, so I have a mismatched pair. This continues until spring comes.

During the past storm I visited the downtown Boston REI store and purchased a new pair, having lost my left glove about a week earlier. These were very nice, warm, comfortable, and not too expensive. When I got on the bus at Harvard Square to go home, I had already lost one of the gloves, the left one, so now I have two right gloves. Sigh.

Kite flying gloves are different. I've had a pair of work gloves that I use for kite flying that I've had for years. I use glove liners with these when it gets cold. I guess I have my priorities straight.

Marty Sasaki

p.s. I think I've finally found the solution, I found some warm, inexpensive gloves at Walgreen's so I bought 4 pairs. That should last me through February at least.

-- Marty
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:41 PM »

Huh Get back into kiting? 

I meant kite bulding, of course.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:32 PM »

Sad day in kiteville indeed.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:48 PM »

I flew in comps with Marty during the early and mid-90s, stayed in occasional touch throughout the years following... Fine individual, he will be missed.  Sad

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Kitestu
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42 AM »

I found out a while back.  Same day, I went to Harkness Park and flew my only two kites I had of Marty's, in a silent memorial to this Gentle Giant.  I have never heard an unkind word uttered by this warm man.

In the halcyon days of 2002 to 2005, we flew there every Sunday afternoon.   At our best, we had five of us flying his wonderful Katanas in team.  There was Dan Dyer,  Doug Coates, myself, Ellen (now at another Coast Guard Station), Michel Gagnon, and a few other passers through.  I have never seen such crowds drawn by any kiting event as those team flies.  People would sit in the grass for hours watching, making animated remarks.

Etta James’ “AT LAST” was Marty’s favorite team flying song – nice and slow and easy, to cover our mistakes, he told us.  I dropped out when Marty started using that Profile China kite.  I hated that kite.  He had always promised he would make Katana venteds for us.  I tried to push him and I found out later he had lost his job and had no money for the kites.  He never told me that, I learned it from someone else who knew the scoop.  I felt so bad about my behaviour.

We still flew Sundays.  I always enjoyed talking with him and listening to his intelligent discussions among us.  So smart about kites and so much else.  Especially loved his engineering talk about his beloved airplane gliders they flew indoors for longest duration and flight contests.

He made me a wonderful UL  red white and raspberry Katana kite that I fly often, as I did that day of remembrance.  Coincidentally, I acquired a Standard Katana #12  from Steve Tapp only weeks before Marty’s death.  I had always wanted one.  Must have had a premonition.

It is a shame and so ironic that he was felled by sepsis.  This would never happen in his native Hawaii.  All the peoples consume coconut in all its forms.  Coconut oil is especially used in cooking and foods.  Coconut oil has lauric acid as a main ingredient.  In our body, we use it to kill bacteria, viruses, funghi, and parasites.  It works by attacking the cell wall of all these critters.  And, unlike antibiotics, never loses effectiveness.  A mere 3.5 tablespoons a day of unrefined coconut oil completely protects against everything, including Swine virus and the accompanying opportunistic bacterial infections.

Coconut oil is a medium chain fully saturated fatty acid – so stable can be used to 350 degrees F and totally resists attack by free radicals.  It is also one of the healthiest oils.  In fact, almost never makes us fat.  It is oxydized  directly by the liver.  Want a sugar free immediate pickup, have a lump of coconut oil.  Sorry for the aside.

I shall always remember Marty fondly.  My deepest sympathy to those suffering his loss.  I shall fly his kites in one of the sites he flew in and loved.  And I shall remember him with affection.  Jim Stuhler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum