GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New, Shiny, Vented Fearless  (Read 1765 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: September 28, 2009, 10:14 AM »

Lam brought this to Whidbey this last weekend and we all had a great time with it!

Usually, the winds are very light at Whidbey, but not this year - there was plenty of wind. The kite was in the air 8 hours a day for both days.  It easily flys from 4 or so on up - at one point we were flying SUL, Light, and Vented versions all at the same time.

What a blast - a Great weekend!

[attachment deleted by admin]

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:15 AM »

Here's another picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

6 kite tom
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:21 AM »

Got a little time on this kite. Thanks Tom.  What a spectacular kite.  4 mph to who know what.  People were flying their SUL's and while the mango Fearless vented is flying.

Snap pop and give a little that kite lays back and says to you "now what".  Think about it and let kite know what to do.

Congrats to Lam for designing a fantastic kite.

Have fun with it Tom
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:25 PM »

Got a little time on this kite. Thanks Tom. 

You are more than welcome John.  Eli and I had a great time flying all weekend - its our favorite festival!

The wind is in the 20s right now at Kite Hill.  I will try to get out after work and see how it likes that range.  I think I'll try the wind brakes on it as well.

6 kite tom
fworley
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:38 PM »

A vented kite which flies like a dream in 4mph ...

Hmm ... not very likely its going to kick ass then in vented wind ranges is it ?

And yeah ... I realize that Lam has mastered the Dark Arts of kite making and can produce kites of
such exquisite quality, refinement and infinite wind ranges ... the likes of which all other kite makers
of the world can only dream of ... (and all for *only* twice the price of mere mortal kites) ... but anyways ..

I don't believe it ... and I had Sea Devils ... a full set of them.

-Frazer
Beachbum
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:03 PM »

I realize that Lam has mastered the Dark Arts of kite making and can produce kites of
such exquisite quality, refinement and infinite wind ranges ... the likes of which all other kite makers
of the world can only dream of

He uses orphan hair for thread, teeth for weights in the frame.  He sprinkles Holy water on sail to melt out the vents.

Still a nice kite.  I would love to try one of the production models.
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:21 PM »

And yeah ... I realize that Lam has mastered the Dark Arts of kite making and can produce kites of
of the world can only dream of ... (and all for *only* twice the price of mere mortal kites) ... but anyways ..

-Frazer

Better stay away from Fearless then, my friend.  Its a slippery slope...

They get under your skin - before you know it, you've got a whole bag with no room for anything else!  Smiley

6 kite tom
fworley
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:39 PM »

Better stay away from Fearless then, my friend.  Its a slippery slope...

They get under your skin - before you know it, you've got a whole bag with no room for anything else!  Smiley
I think not - once bitten and all that ...

Sea Devil's ... yeah nicely made ... one trick ponies in my book ...

Too many compromises in the quest for yo-yo's ... nasty flatspins, limited turtle moves ....

I'll stick to affordable, well rounded kites from here on out.

-Frazer
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 04:16 PM »

A vented kite which flies like a dream in 4mph ...

Hmm ... not very likely its going to kick ass then in vented wind ranges is it ?

I don't believe it ... and I had Sea Devils ... a full set of them.

-Frazer

No body believes what you say anyway Frazer....must be the air you breath Cool

"Do what you like"
Beachbum
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18 PM »

Sea Devil's ... yeah nicely made ... one trick ponies in my book ...

Which trick is that?

I have noticed that the Light does tricks much better (Looking) than the standard.  The axels were definitely better as were the backspins.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:51 PM »

Actually, I'm with Frazer on this one.

I do believe that the kite may fly in 4 mph with those tiny vents, but I would be really surprised if this kite didn't get overpowered by 15 mph.

I do have a mid-vent Master Control and a UL Skymaster, but no real experience with the Sea Devils or Fearless.

Lam does make a really nice kite, but that kite looks like it has less than adequate venting to be called a vented. Maybe a mid-vent.

I am open to being proven wrong.

Anyone flown this in winds over 12 mph?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 05:38 PM »

Actually, I'm with Frazer on this one.

I do believe that the kite may fly in 4 mph with those tiny vents, but I would be really surprised if this kite didn't get overpowered by 15 mph.

I do have a mid-vent Master Control and a UL Skymaster, but no real experience with the Sea Devils or Fearless.

Lam does make a really nice kite, but that kite looks like it has less than adequate venting to be called a vented. Maybe a mid-vent.

I am open to being proven wrong.

Anyone flown this in winds over 12 mph?

The Standard easily flys into the teens.  I've flown the Standard into the mid 20s with no issues, other than having more pull - but the kite was not over-powered at that point (no shudder or signs of stress).  The Vent pulls much less than the Standard in the same wind which is what I think was a design goal. 

The winds were certainly into the teens at times when we were flying over the weekend, but nothing too wild.

I agree that this might be classified as a mid-vent due to the amount of venting. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:16 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document