GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help with the Duplex  (Read 3873 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:07 AM »

ok, so backspin one rotation one way, flic flac, backspin one rotation the other way, repeat as needed.
Sounds simple, right?  The individual elements are easy for me, even the BS cascade.  But putting the flic flac in there just hasn't worked.  On some kites you can get a one rotation back spin and I thought that was the secret, waiting for the kite to stop. Doesn't seem to be so.  And when i wait for the kite to come center in the fade and pull while its rotating I get all out of shape. Any ideas?

thanks,

Dave
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21 AM »

Dave, on the Flic Flac, don't wait my friend...go for it. Watch the BS rotation, time it and hit the Flic Flac. No need to wait on the BS to stop. Even if you did you'd ruin the flow of the trick.

Witness, the Duplex.

Good luck with it! Tongue

DaveH
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:38 AM »

Sweeet!  Thanks man, that's very helpful.  Tutorial rocks as always.
Tom P

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:36 AM »

i like to do a slightly different version, wherein you backspin twice each time... and, instead of flic-flacs, you do 360 degree flic-flacs.  Doing everything double is twice as much fun!   Smiley

Excerpt lyrics from Rush:
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 12:42 PM »

i like to do a slightly different version, wherein you backspin twice each time... and, instead of flic-flacs, you do 360 degree flic-flacs.  Doing everything double is twice as much fun!   Smiley

This from the guy who brought us the jitter-bug technique? 

I find the duplex hard...so I call. 

VIDEO please.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
John Welden

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:23 PM »

You may want to try it in light winds, just enough to keep your kite flying. The lighter winds will allow you to use much softer inputs. Practice giving enough input so the kite only wants to rotate around once for the backspin. Worry about the flick flac after you've got the backspin control down.

For some kites it helps to bring the kite into the fade with one wingtip lower than the other. You'll have to experiment with how to get there.  It helps to get the backspin going when the fade isn't level.

Remember to go easy at first and work up to aggressive inputs. Get those backspins and flick flacs nice and controlled.  You'll have it down in no time.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 03:21 PM »

I find the duplex hard.

obi

Me too. Setting up the flic flacs to get the opposite rotations on the back spins is what's killing me.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Tom P

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18 PM »

This from the guy who brought us the jitter-bug technique? 

I find the duplex hard...so I call. 

VIDEO please.

obi

This is an older video, but it shows it (i.e., duplex type stuff) some.  i fly better now. 
(There's no Jitter-bug stuff in this video  Roll Eyes... sorry!)

Sport Kite Video...Learning to Fly, part 2

Excerpt lyrics from Rush:
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:55 AM »

I find the duplex hard.

obi

Me too. Setting up the flic flacs to get the opposite rotations on the back spins is what's killing me.

Denny

Let the kite go a little past horizontal before popping it into the pancake - this will give the one wing high attitude necessary for a good backspin
Then pull it back into the fade, but one wing will be high. This should make the BS rotation easier.
As you get better at it, you can work on trying to flatten it out some.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:30 AM »

Thanks for the video proof!  Carry on.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:27 AM »

Let the kite go a little past horizontal before popping it into the pancake - this will give the one wing high attitude necessary for a good backspin
Then pull it back into the fade, but one wing will be high. This should make the BS rotation easier.
As you get better at it, you can work on trying to flatten it out some.

Thanks Will. I've been trying to time the input to pancake so it comes just before the wing comes back to horizontal. I'll try letting it go just past horizontal and see if that makes it any easier for me.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document