GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing a spreader?  (Read 2276 times)
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 30, 2009, 01:22 PM »

OK, Here's the story followed by the question with a minor disclaimer first.

I have already ordered a direct replacement, so urgency is not so great.

Story
I was out flying my Hypno a couple days ago. When finished, I started dis-assembling it to put it back in it's bag. Like the goof that I am, I didn't dis-assemble it in the right order. Instead of removing the lower spreaders from the LLE connecters first, I tried pulling it apart at the T. Dumb move! When it was almost apart I heard a crack crack sound.  Cry Sure enough, the female spreader had some minor cracking on the end, but nothing separated from the spar. I have not flown it with the cracked spreader in fear that it might break and tear the sail.

Question
Has anyone found a reliable way to repair a cracked lower spreader?

Thoughts
One thought I had was to superglue a sleeve or section of ferrule around the cracked area and extend just beyond it a little for safety. I would also do the same on the male side opposite the T to keep the kite balanced.

So, what are your thoughts?
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:53 PM »

Not worth it.  I use $30 lower spreaders in my kite, so believe me I don't offer that advice lightly  Wink  In my experience, you'd be best off just waiting for the replacement rod.  Every in-flight spreader failure runs the risk of a sail puncture, so why screw around with that if you don't have to?

And I have never pulled the spreaders out of the LLE connectors, I leave them in at all times.  If the standoffs and upper spreader are out, most sails are slack enough that you should be able to pull the spreaders (one at a time) out of the center tee.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:55 PM »

A quick fix I have used is.... insert a ferrule in the cracked area, wrap the area with thread, and then appy a liberal amount of nail polish. Drys hard and strong. I have flown along time on a split spreader, just remember it could break again, although none of mine ever did. I keep a little fixit box in my bag, and thread and nail polish are in it.

"Do what you like"
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:12 PM »

i repair mine same as ezme6 , and use CA glue instead.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:58 PM »

I think its a good excuse to get a backup kite!  Smiley

break one - just grab the next and fly it until you get the other repaired.  Perhaps a Zephyr.....

6 kite tom
fworley
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:12 PM »

[Bingo chilese=on]For the benefit of the noobs out there ... this is that Ron Graziano chappie above

RonG at NJSKC06

And that kite ... he designed and built that .... and people will pay $1000 for them ... (I &%#* you not)

So ... when he posts ... you should listen ... I know I do.[/Bingo chilese=off]

Bodging repairs to spreaders is a bad idea ... for obvious reasons ... don't bother ... get a replacement

-Frazer
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:14 PM by fworley » Logged
RonG
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 04:18 PM »

For the benefit of the noobs out there ... this is that Ron Graziano chappie above

.....fighting to fly a ballet in a butterfly fart of a wind  Cheesy

Seriously, to each his own, but for my money there's too much stress on a lower spreader to trust a sail to an improvised repair.  My sails only cost me materials + my sewing time, so I imagine the stakes are even higher for someone who's paying a big chunk of hard-earned cash for their kites.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:23 PM by RonG » Logged
Winged V

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:40 PM »

Assuming the rod is not crushed and has a minor crack Heat Shrink with adhesive has worked for me.Never had failure with that repair.

I have been known to do this to spreaders to protect that stress area with new kites.

ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 04:57 PM »

I think its a good excuse to get a backup kite!  Smiley

break one - just grab the next and fly it until you get the other repaired.  Perhaps a Zephyr.....

Good thing Lam throws in a few extra spreaders..... Cheesy

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:15 PM »

Good thing Lam throws in a few extra spreaders..... Cheesy

Ah - you must have got a different deal than I did!

The only extras he included with mine were a few tricks!  Smiley

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 06:47 PM »

I'm with RonG. New spreader. If you want, reinforce the new spreader with heat shrink or a strong adhesive before the first flight.

Give the kite shops a little business. I always order 4 or 5 of any spar and over time, you get a nice little supply built up. Cuts down on shipping cost per spar.

Always listen to Mr. Graziano, unless he tries to sell you a Wonder Bread Machine. Wait, you should probably still buy it.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document