GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 01:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: favorite beginner kite and why?  (Read 8460 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:01 AM »

I've had the opportunity to help some new flyers in the last couple of years.  They always had their own kites and I couldn't help notice what kites worked well and what didn't.  Since I don't know much about what's offered in this market I figured it would be useful to develop a list of kites, and reasons for the choice, folks prefer for the new flyer.  I like the Quantum because its big enough to provide some feedback and fly in reasonable winds, stands up well to abuse and offers performance growth which doesn't penalize the initial flying experience, too sensitive, etc.  So what do you think?
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:25 AM »

I agree completely with Dave. Prism - Quantum

Best kite in my book for a beginner, and tough as nails!

In any case, 60" is a minimum width for a good beginner kite.

roisinroisin21

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:22 PM »

I second the quantum   Dano

Mine has the end off a fishing pole for a standoff,insulation tape to build out a canabilised top spreader and a Umbrella shaft for the center Tee. Still comes out to fly . Perfect for a begginer

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:23 PM »

I've been saying the Quantum for years too, for the price you're getting a sweet kite. For a true beginner I would still say Quantum because of its smoothness, constant speed through the window, good presence & feedback on the lines. But now that the price of the Quantum has risen some others are approaching its value for the price range.

If you felt the flier would find a faster more radical kite to their liking and you've seen they have the basics under their belt, ie: not spinning right into the ground on launch, the Premier Wolf is another choice. It's pretty bulletproof too, but a little edgier and responsive, it's faster, a bit radical while still retaining good precision and is just plain fun.

High winds and the Wolf

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:38 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:20 PM »

If your teaching children, especially smaller kids, the Quantum can have a bit too much pull. If the wind picks up at all it will be too much kite for some.

I like the HQ Floater for teaching children how to fly. Light pull not real fast ( under 10mph) and if the wind gusts, it won't pull their little arms out of their sockets Kiss It has been very sturdy and never broken after lots of nose plants. It's no trick kite but will do some basic slack stuff. It's been replaced with another model but I'm not sure of the name.

Another kite I've used for new flyers is the NTK Pyro XS. Nice slow forward speed and light pull yet it'll do a lot more in the tricks dept. This kite is not as sturdy as a Floater or Quantum though. I've had to replace a couple of spars.

Now if your teaching tricks an Eolo Over would be great or Silver Fox 2.3 maybe the Acrobatx,  etc.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:51 AM »

I'm kinda partial to the Alpha +.  It has a lot of similarities to the Quantum, and just as robust IMO, with a vast supply of replacement parts.  It has another added feature...............an inexperienced hand will find it far easier to trick when he/she gets to that stage.  Smiley

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:44 AM »

I personally love the Beatle for teaching, or one of those "go fly a kite" Parastunters.
They're both capable of taking multiple blows when they're driven into the groud and the beetle has a few good tricks in its book. In my opinion it 540's well for a beginer kite. When I had the quantum, nobody wanted to fly it, they said "it was to big to learn on" and were STUCK to that idea. But whatever, to each 'is own I guess.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:37 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Pyro & Pyro XS have been discontinued. You're correct and I recommended them myself as being a fantastic value for a very capable kite.

Another good value in the Quantum's price range is the New Tech Techno, fully framed in Skyshark P200's, ready to fly. Flies well, probably as trickable as the Quantum. I don't reach for ours often but have seen it flown well by others.

New Tech Pyro XS and Techno Sport Kites

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 08:43 AM »

I'll say the Prism Hypnotist. Everything you like about the Quantum, but in a more capable kite.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
f86sabjf
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:19 AM »

I would have to say the old??? E2 not to easy to break and it can move up with you for a while. Prices should come down too for used ones making it an easy capable kite to get into ..
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:53 PM »

+1 on th e2, it's my noob trainer, big wing kinda slow
although i was forced at cleveland kite fest one year to train on a psycho Huh

Sine Metu!
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 03:14 PM »

Vote  +1 for the Hypnotist, pretty bomb proof, mine's held together with stuff found generally in the 'make and do' box.The kicker for me though is that it comes with the DVD, the gift that keeps on giving for a beginner.

WinterDaze AoF
DaveH
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29 PM »

Interesting stuff!  I had a Techno last year.  Big and kinda slow, and you're right, quite trickable.  Good choice. I had a little kite club going at the school i worked in last year and left the Techno as a parting gift for the students.  I'll bet they're having fun with it.  A couple if 12 year old girls in that club had New Tech Big Bangs.  They had a positive experience learning on those. 
I've always thought the E2 was a bit quick, in turning speed, for learning.  But is is really tough, and once past the beginning stage is a truly forgiving trick trainer. An adult friend of mine learned on one a couple of years back.  Now he tricks it pretty well.  I keep hearing good things about the Hypno, I've got to give one a pull.  I've learned a bunch with this thread.  Nice stuff Wink
DaveH
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 06:33 PM »

Jim,
you've found the Alpha to be pretty rugged? Nice looking kite.  I flew one at the beach one year.  Flew nice too.  And you're right, easy trickin'.  The kid who owned it busted it up a bunch of times that weekend so I wasn't too sure about its durability.  Nice to hear its tough.  He was one of those ham fisted kind of kids.  Probably would have broken anything.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02 PM »

Yeah--Ham fisted like me!  First real kite for us.....we now have three, but it has trained a bunch of friends and foes alike.  Broken every stick in it at least twice and punched six or so holes in it from newbie crashes and relaunches............Got my first axel and yo on it and with the 'rubber band technique' on the LS's and a bunch of tedlar it is up for some more abuse Grin

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document