GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 04:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: favorite beginner kite and why?  (Read 8759 times)
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 10:39 PM »

Roll Eyes GEEZE Roll Eyes

SO Many simple to fly and Ideal over looked kites in this topic. Again we are talking about ""TRAINING"" a Newbie here and not many Instructors will take a First or second day student out in much more than 12MPH winds for kites get to ""FAST and get OVERWELMING!~!""

Lets first start with the Premier Addiction and Jewel kites. The addiction is a softer to fly and is better suited for the ease of flight with its high Camber leading edge in the 8 to 10 Mph winds. The Jewel is also Grwat in that range.  Both come in at about 65.00 bucks if you shop around.

The Jazz by Prism A Much smaller kite again for the beginner that will NOT over pull or over welm any student. The quantum is a Large kite and I have to say when the winds come "UP" it has Limited adustability to slow it down and Dump the air out and soften it up after a certain point...

The New Dodd Gross kite line has a couple i have yet to fly but they just got in the shop.

The Cherry Bomb is a decent smaller kite that turns and does figure eights for a first day person as well.

The list of Smaller 60" ish kites goes on either with a Straighter leading edge or a Higher Camber one. There are FEW good kites that will get a Newbie past Circles and figure eights and a few others tricks. Yet a BUNCH of kites that will do ONLY that and the rest with GREAT difficulty and drive them Bonkers and to the edge and Brink of quitting...

Again we are talking about ""TRAINING"" a Newbie here and not many Instructors will take a First or Second day student out in much more than 10 to 12MPH winds for kites get to ""FAST and get OVERWELMING!~!"" I personally want students to be doing POINTING turns and not to be PULLING back and Over powering any new kite this day and age.

Keep all the New kids  YOUNG and OLD HapPY and our Limited sport Growning in the right direction...

ED S
misterbleepy
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 03:13 AM »

My favourite would be the Benson Outer Space - here's why:

It's the kite I learnt how to fly, recover etc. on, and it effectivley taught me itself.
Cheap frame, but pretty tough anyway.
Nicely balanced flight - not too sensitive, but no enormous inputs required either.

I used it to (try to) teach my 9 year old nephew on, and he had no trouble handling it at all - not too big, fast, or hard pulling, and less twitchy than some smaller kites too.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05 AM »

If they're really raw a 6ft flexi.

A beetle or whatever is great once they get past over correcting and waving their arms above their head but before reaching that stage the flexi is great:
  • It wants to stay in the air no matter how hard they try to stall it
  • It is insensitive to input so copes with massive over correcting
  • It feels exciting in inexperienced hands
  • It bounces

... then move onto the beetles etc. once they can steer
After struggling with beetles etc. misterbleepy's 6ft-er was a revelation when I gave it to my kids  Cool
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:08 AM by inewham » Logged

fworley
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 07:11 AM »

We started with some junker (needed too much wind) with plastic handles, then a Beetle (no ground recovery), then an Easy Lite (too much oversteer).

The main problem with all of these choices really was they were too small ... and quick.

I'd put a beginner on a bigger kite ... something slow and not prone to oversteer, with sufficient mass and frame to allow easy ground recovery.

The Prism Hypnotist is a good choice with its RTF packaging.

-Frazer
streamhawk

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 09:48 AM »

While I agree with many of the aforementioned choices, for the true beginner, I wouldn't overlook something like a Prism Snapshot 1.4 foil, nothing to break, can get someone in the air and doing figures in a small amount of time without the fear of crashing.

Bill
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38 PM »

i have to say the quantum also, i was lucky enough to start with one very exciting VERY durable now it is hard to get my girlfriend to fly anything else because she trusts it, although she is coming around to the zephyr which i never did. 1 thing that any new kite pilot should look 4 is a kite  that comes with a training video or get 1 if they dont have good help to get started, i did not and it could get frustrating  KO
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:45 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 07:50 PM »

I dont know if they still make the Alpha+. I owned several of them (still have one) and like 'em a lot, but the stock frame isnt very robust, at least compared to a purpose built tough kite like the Quantum. I'd train someone on the Q. over the A. Its a more modern  kite

Allen, AKA kitehead
DaveH
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 06:26 AM »

When it comes to size what often happens is the new flyer will by the cheapest kite available.  That usually means small.  If they live anywhere other than the beach it can often be hard to find enough wind to get these type of kites in the air.  And once they do they're just too twitchy.  Being an inland flyer I try to steer new flyers toward a kite that will fly well in the available local wind. 
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 10:01 AM »

When I teach people to fly I get out my Nighthawk. Before I learned about full size kites, I thought the Nighthawk was a regular sized kite. Now I know better (3/4 sized kite?) and even though it moves faster than a larger, slower kite, it'll do a bunch of stuff. It can take a lot of abuse because it's built like a tank. And it comes with lines and straps too.

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 11:17 AM »

I'm still liking the Quantum.

Besides its being what I have in the bag for the purpose, it reacts slowly enough to input to not be getting out of hand so, once a newbie gets the hang of it; I can leave them to their own devices without having to worry too much about innocent bystanders.

The other thing is that it reacts correctly to input. It may not be too exciting for a seasoned flyer, but; at least it doesn't do anything too untoward for a newbie and gives a good idea of what to expect when they move up to something a bit tastier.

Plus, its got enough pull in low to medium winds to allow even a beginner to maintain control where more advanced kites can get a bit feathery on the lines.

Also, while it might be a bit much for smaller flyers when the wind gets up, it's just fine for adults and who didn't like a hard pulling kite when they were just starting out?

MSRP-wise, it's gotten a bit up there. You can still find it for a decent price if you look around though.

It's hard to beat as a basic learner/beater.

For a talented newbie, it'll get old fast but otherwise..

In the cheap/small category the Cherry Bomb is good.

Don't know how cheap those are these days or if they are still out there.

It's not bad though.

I just wanted to add:

While there are much better kites available; IMO there is still a place for the Learn-To-Destruction kite. Get it all out of their systems with something that isn't too sexy but will take a beating and make it possible to pick up good habits before moving on to the $200.00-400.00 real kite.

They may only be flying it for a Week or so but still.. it's a worthwhile investment in the long term. By that time they will either be looking to upgrade or will have quit.

YMMV
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 11:27 AM by JimB » Logged
turbo23
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 01:23 PM »

+1 for quantum, its what I started on, and prism's website provides excellent for beginners.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 03:11 PM »

I dont know if they still make the Alpha+. I owned several of them (still have one) and like 'em a lot, but the stock frame isnt very robust, at least compared to a purpose built tough kite like the Quantum. I'd train someone on the Q. over the A. Its a more modern  kite

They still make the Alpha+ .... I have a soft spot for that kite.  It's like a big galumpfally black lab in low winds. 

Didn't you have a frame mod for that kite at one point?  Could have sworn you did, but that could just be senility. 

The only thing that drove me crazy about it was that it always seemed like the lower spreaders were too short and a sudden gust popped the spreader at the center T.  A larks-headed elastic made that much easier to live with.

ATB,
Sam
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02 PM »

The rubber band technique is a must for the ALPHA if you're going to do any tricks or crash..............need I say more?

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 05:31 PM »

That's a real good example of why I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. Spreaders popping out is not nice behavior.

Yes, I flew one framed in P200s for a long time. Fun kite. In some ways the stock kite flew better but I was going for sheer durability and wind range with the reframe. I beat the snot out of that kite.  Smiley

Trick-wise, it's not a very modern kite. Based on the Jam session sail shape.

Turns out I still have two. One with the beefy frame and one stock. I'll have to get one out of the garage one of these days and do a bit of nostalgia.

Allen, AKA kitehead
portley777

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 03:07 AM »

I'm no Prism junkie by any means but the Quantum is a fine beginner kite. I have a friend who has one and has crashed it into all kinds of coral and crap in fresh winds...and it gets up like the terminator for more. The only issue is the collapsed packing situation in order to fit it into the neat fu(n)ky case. He assembled it a few times with the bridle connected on the wrong side of the connectors (somehow) which could have been nasty. His wife has sewn a full length case for him to avoid mishaps. It has a strong pull which he likes very much. I had a "High as a Kite Rascal" which is very tough but a POS in comparison.

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change