GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: favorite beginner kite and why?  (Read 8775 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 03:18 PM »

The only issue is the collapsed packing situation in order to fit it into the neat fu(n)ky case.

Cheers,
Mike
One of the things that's nutty about Quantum is the mandatory LE break down so it'll fit in the bag.  Not beginner friendly.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 02:54 AM »

The bag does extend to hold it without breaking it down, but it's a pretty funky setup with the extension being made of a light taffetta and leaving an opening that your spreaders could sneak out of. I prefer a full padded bag with Velcro to hold it half size when broken down, but it keeps costs down.

Entry level kites get those padded bags with pockets for the linesets, as your collection grows don't you dislike padded bags altogether? You can't get as many kites into the duffle with them.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
rxburner
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 02:56 PM »

The early Quantum had the built in extension, but they droped it in the later versions.

Prisim is a great place for a beginner. We should keep an eye on the E3 for the beginner that can afford more that $80.
Rx
Tom P

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2009, 01:08 AM »

If you can afford it Shocked... get a few kites (eventually).  Some kites are better at certain tricks than other kites... and that may be a big help in learning a particular trick.  Getting kites for different wind conditions is prudent, in the process.

Later on, you can get a nice (more expensive) polyvalent kite Tongue (that is more geared to be in expert hands).

Excerpt lyrics from Rush:
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 06:02 PM »

Rev 1.5 SLE or 3 wrap leading edge for quads. Same as for dual line kites, bigger sail is slower and more time to think before lawn darting. The 3 wrap leading edge has more flex, so it mutes some of the wobbly inputs. The SLE is more responsive to inputs and bobbles.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:11 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
kiwi49er
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 06:54 PM »

I teach em on one of my 2 old Prism Legacys. If the wind is up I put a tube tail on it.   You can't beat the old hemp core spines for nose impacts.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:56 PM by kiwi49er » Logged

Andrew
Grumbledown

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2009, 03:23 PM »

Hey, that's me with the Wolf up there on page one!

Anyway, I want to throw in my vote for the Quantum.  It's very durable, and even though it doesn't HAND out the tricks, it still does everything I can throw at it.  It requires decent sized inputs, which I think is a good thing when you're new and haven't fine tuned the motions yet.

It's not going to fly in the lightest winds, but that's something that takes a lot of practice starting out anyway, and if you learn to keep the Quantum up when the wind starts dropping, you'll really appreciate the lighter kites later on.
DaveH
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 03:39 PM »

The bag does extend to hold it without breaking it down, but it's a pretty funky setup with the extension being made of a light taffetta and leaving an opening that your spreaders could sneak out of. I prefer a full padded bag with Velcro to hold it half size when broken down, but it keeps costs down.

Prism has made some fairly odd choices, bag wise.  I can't stand the QP bag and unless you're flying the airlines, what's up with that Zepher bag? 

Anyway, I agree the E3 might be a nice choice for those willing to invest.  I've helped a number of flyers get started with the E2.  The latest editon might provide a seamless transition to modern tricking.
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2009, 06:16 PM »

Level One Jump

Gets down low into "light", good enough mass for rotations, easy 2 pops, way tricky than any other beginner kite I've flown, nice build construction and quality.   
Spz0
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 09:29 AM »

NTK's Cherry bomb is a great first kite for training on (turns, precision flying, etc...) with not much pull at all, but not so good to train on freestyle tricks.  Inputs have to be very quick, due to lack of wingspan.  I enjoyed the Quantum for that.  With the bigger wingspan, it slows down the tricks and inputs considerably, making learning basic tricks easier.  I would recommend grabbing both.  I just ended up adhering some ripstop over the breakdown ferrules on the leading edge to reduce line snagging (since I never break it down) and replacing the elastic leading edge tensioners with 150# bridle line.  Even if you cover the breakdown ferrule, you can still break the kite down -- its just more of a blind process to re-insert the lower leading edge.

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 10:17 AM »

I would get a cheap Beetle until you can learn to keep the kite in the air, fly the window, and land safely.

Then, get a Silver Fox 2.5 UL and fly that until its worn out.

By that time, you will know what to buy next.

6 kite tom
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 09:39 AM »

I would like to add a vote for the Beetle.  I have both the Quantum and Beetle.  There have been a number of light wind days when the Beetle was the only kite that would launch and stay up.  You will learn much more with a kite that accepts lighter wind conditions if that is all you have.
Burke
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 04:43 AM »

As I saw posted earlier in this thread, newbies (or their moms) freak out when you start talking more than $10 for a kite.

Once they get past that barrier, as has been pointed out there is a wide range of kites that are very newbie capable.

Now, I myself am a relative newbie to dual line flying.  Many years ago, I started out with a Prism Vector.  An excellent kite for a newbie.  Very rugged.  One piece leading edge.  Light enough to fly in pretty low winds yet capable of handling a pretty good gust.

Sadly, I foolishly let that kite get away from me after I discovered quads.  Oh, to have another one.

Over the years since, I have toyed with the idea of trying dualies again.  I would hunt around, buy one, try it out for a bit and trade it off.  I never could find one that clicked with me.

The main problem I was having was wind range.  Where I live, from May until well into September, the winds are LOOOOWWW.  I'm talking go to your favorite kite field and practice your indoor flying low.

Everything I was trying out would not fly and I could not afford the true SULs to try out and see if I liked dual line flying, so I would sell or trade them off and try again a year or so later.

Then this weekend, I acquired the dualie I have been looking for.  It is rugged enough for a newbie to thrash around a bit, yet light enough to fly on the gentlest of breezes.  I'm talking about the Desire UL.  With the flexible solid carbon frame it can take quite a beating and keep on flying.

I took it out yesterday for the first time and flew it in almost no wind.  It was great!  Then I put it in the hands of my son-in-law, a true newbie, and he had a great time with it.

Yes, it is a bit pricey for mom to buy for her wired out little kid to try and see if they like flying kites, but for those who have tried out the Walmart specials and know we like fooling with these things but realize this $5 stunt kite is a pile of junk, something like this kite is a great beginning for someone who needs a kite capable of flying in low winds.

There, I have put in my two cents worth.

Good Winds and God's Blessings,
Burke
iwannafly

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14 PM »

Let me start with a sorry. Not only am I new to flying, but also to forums. So if this post is misplaced - Sorry.
In reading some of the topic related to beginners, I have noticed a lot of recomendations for the Prism Quantum and a few other kites in the same price range. Problem is I can't justify the cost for a first stunt kite. I have a feeling that for the most part I'll be spear fishing at the lake or using it as a lawn dart:'(

The Beetle is a better price and seems to well recommended, but I was wondering if anyone was had a chance to fly NTK's ASTRO? I only ask about this kite because my daughter thinks it looks cool and chances are I'll have to share it with her. For the price I think would rather buy 2 of these to practice with and destroy before stepping up to something like the Quantum.

Any Ideas?
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36 PM »

spend 50 here on a beetle it is all you need to get started you wont want a quantum after that more like a muse or exile the beetle is a really fun little kite and will take you a long way HAVE FUN KO ps steve are host would be happy to sell u as many as you need speaking of steve HEY steve where is the donation button

have fun kurt
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change