GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help deciding on a $250-300 UL  (Read 3813 times)
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 01, 2009, 05:46 PM »

OK, I know this has been covered in many areas.  But I dont have acess to flying many of these.  I am currently still learning...  My only UL is a Shadow.  Lovely kite, but the learning curve on it for me is just fustrating.  I know all my inputs are way to large.  I do have a premier widow.  Great kite for the money, I have a lgihter bridle on it which has helped me practice in some low winds but not quite low enough.  So, here in lies my quandry.  I want a slow moving, slightly forgivable full size kite.  I have flown a few Nirvanas and like the style of them.  But cant afford a $400+ kite.  So my debate thus far is a WidowMaker UL, Mantis UL, and a heavily suggested Genesis UL.  I havent flown a WM or a Genesis.  Would love a suggestion, trying to even look out for a used one, or if there is a better option in some opinions  that would be apprecaited.  I live inland WA, so I am forced to deal with light winds much more than normal winds.  I am looking for a trick oriented kite though, precision is fun, but I am trying to learn tricks..   Lips sealed
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:02 PM »

Get a Talon UL. It'll run about $350 delivered with today's exchange rate but well worth the money.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:06 PM »

I'd recommend either a Vendetta UL - from Viper Sport Kites

http://vipersportkites.com/vipersportkites_007.htm

Or a Exile UL - from Blue Moon

http://bluemoonkites.com/exile.htm

You cannot miss with either ... and both are within your price range.

Both made in the US, both top quality construction, both proven designs from proven designers / builders.

-Frazer
DWayne

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:21 PM »

The Vendetta UL is a great kite, but more of a light than a true UL.

Denny

fworley
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:37 PM »

Yeah - there's something to that - its true.

You an always drop the upper spreader and the tail weight ...

But ... its never going to fly very well in less than 3mph.

On the plus side though - it handles gusts and bigger winds better than most UL's

And this is a monster of a trick / comp kite ... its damn near the *perfect* all round kite ... and I've bought more than a few of them.

-Frazer
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:34 PM »

Get a Talon UL. It'll run about $350 delivered with today's exchange rate but well worth the money.

Denny

Denny

Maybe I missed something, but it seems the specs on the Talon UL is about the same as the Vendetta.  With the bigger sail area on the Vendetta, I doubt there is significant difference in the wind ranges.  Now I admit that is speculation on my part since I have never flown the UL model of the Talon, but I can't see enough difference in the specs to call one a "true" UL vs the other.

The Vendetta and Exile ULs are both great kites and I have flown both in winds you can barely feel (2 mph?)  They did fine.  In the price range you are discussing, the Blue Moon Muse UL would fit the bill too.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Will Sturdy

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:30 PM »

The Vendetta UL does require a good bit more wind than most others. When there is not quite enough wind for most standards though, it is a really sweet kite.
Having flown both it and the talon, the talon does go a bit lower without loosing much trickability.

The talon is a different style than the nirvana/vendetta type kites. Not bad at all, and it does a lot of things better, but it is very different.
dhayden

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40 PM »

I appreciate the advice guys.  No one has any experience with the genesis?  A little lower in the price range, but maybe the extra $ is worth the vandetta?
Beachbum
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 09:01 PM »

I would stay away from the Genesis.  Though a great kite, you can get alot more with the Vendetta and Talon.

I'm a fanboy of both the Vendetta and the Talon, but I would have to give it up to the Talon due to what you're looking for. 

Worth every bloody penny.
DWayne

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 09:21 PM »

The Vendetta UL needs about 3 mph the Talon UL needs about 1.5 mph.
The Talon is bit more trick friendly IMO.

Denny

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:00 PM »

Id get a widowmaker UL or an Exile UL.
Both are nice, great quality, trickable, the whole 9 yards.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 11:29 PM »

All the kites listed are going to take more wind than the Shadow, which is truly almost an SUL.

People are listing preferences based on their own experience, of course, but recognize your Shadow is a lower wind trickster than any other listed in this thread. Personally, with a bridle adjustment, I consider the Shadow to be an exceptional low wind trick kite (with a lot of oversteer, granted).

As I've said before, if you can't decide or fly before you buy, get the one you think is the prettiest. You're going to be looking at it for a long time.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 11:35 PM »

++1

Keep the Shadow whatever you do.  I can't tell you how many times that kite has saved the day for me.  It will fly AND TRICK in net to nothing and eagerly with some drive.

For its low mass, it is a ton of fun.

6 kite tom
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43 AM »

Blue Moon makes the best UL kites. Ken's kites are framed as UL's, but fly like SUL's. The advantage being a heavier framed kite, that will trick in very low winds. The Exile is the trickier, then the Mantis, but the Mantis will fly in lower winds. I've flown my Mantis UL, when people on the field where struggling with their SUL's.

The Talon is a free style kite, that is very well mannered. It rolls up and pitches, very easily. Blue Moon is probably better at the rotation stuff, while the Talon is better at the pitch tricks.

Jay
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29 AM »

Vendetta, Exile, Talon. Close your eyes and pick one.

When the wind is low enough and you can see the leaves blowing on trees 40 feet up but it's not blowing on the ground you're better off with the Shadow probably because it's going to be so light that even if you do manage to get your kite up in the air it's not going to be there long enough for you to try mastering a new trick and then it's back on the ground. For wind like that you might as well enjoy your Shadow.

You'll need to have a reliable wind speed to work on learning tricks
so any of these kites would be good. I have a Widow Maker standard which I love. I also have an Exile which is very nice but is harder to trick than the WM when the wind picks up a bit.They both go pretty low so I imagine the ULs would be even better.

Don't think that there's one kite that's going to be hugely better than another. They're all good but the pilot's skill is what makes the difference. Pilot skill takes time and trial and error. If the wind is too low it CAN be more frustrating. So pick a kite that looks good to you!

Bob D.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document