GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 10:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help deciding on a $250-300 UL  (Read 3673 times)
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 08:02 AM »

....and then of course there's the new UL on the block, the DS UL, which is also worthy of consideration. Undecided
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:03 PM »

The Deep Space UL definitely, but my favorite is also the Talon UL.

No one has any experience with the genesis?

LevelOne's Genesis is an older sail design and will probably be replaced by the Eternity, of which an UL version is available.
Pricewise the Jumping Jack Flash UL is another option, brilliant for very little wind, a real inland design.
IMHO the Sin from Kitehouse is also very capable in low winds.

Just to throw in some more choices ...  Roll Eyes
and to confuse you more. Sad
All the best of luck ... whatever it will be, it'll be the right decision.

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 01:45 PM »

you already have a great low wind kite soooo a muse fits you budget easily and will fly very low they are a great all around kite best deal out there IMO tuff choice but 1 of the kind i like to have good luck ko
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:29 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:29 AM »

I live inland WA, so I am forced to deal with light winds much more than normal winds. 

light wind is normal, its that 6+ wind that is abnormal.

after reading all the post I would love to show up somewhere to see and fly the highly recommended Talon and Vendetta.  It is tough to make a $250 decision without ever test flying so once you narrow it down the "pick the one that you think looks best" is pretty good advice.

i do have a Genesis set;Std, UL and SUL.  I clicked with the UL right off.  several tricks just came to me off the Genesis easier than other kites.  nice straight lines also.  Bridle setup allows easy changes to set to your preference.  (Disclaimer; haven't met many Level One kites I didn't like.  I enjoy dual line kites but pretty much suck at trick and precision flying.)

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 07:20 PM »

much appreciated.
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 01:42 PM »

much appreciated.

C'mon. Please tell us what you have decided on?  Kiss

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54 AM »

The boss (wife), put me on hold for a month or two.  Just picked up a used E2 for my son, and "another" kite isnt quite understood at the moment  lol.   But I think from my reading I am sold on the talon.  It is more than I want to spend, but If I see any of these come up as used.  I will jump on them.. I do appreciate peoples inputs.  Maybe at a meet or two in the next month or so I will get a chance to fly one or two of them.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 11:06 PM »

If I see any of these come up as used.  I will jump on them..
Why not use the search function, limit yourself to the Swap Meet only, and see just how infrequently Talons (of any weight) pop up on the second hand market. Huh

People just don't let these things go.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
anOldMan

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36 PM »

If I see any of these come up as used.  I will jump on them..
Why not use the search function, limit yourself to the Swap Meet only, and see just how infrequently Talons (of any weight) pop up on the second hand market. Huh

People just don't let these things go.

Mike.

i. e. The Talon is a very good kite! Wink Wink

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Datenland

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 05:45 PM »

I want a slow moving, slightly forgivable full size kite.
I know all my inputs are way to large.
I have flown a few Nirvanas and like the style of them.

Thanks to anOldMan (not so old, btw) I had access to the Talon and the Exile. I've flown both for only a short while, but from what you say and coming from the Shadow I strongly believe you would be happier with the Exile. From a little distance the Talon belongs to the "English" flying style, like the Deepspace and the Gemini. Better on shorter lines, fast tricking, subtle inputs from the fingers and the wrists.
The Exile from the same little distance has a certain laid back "American" style, tricks slower with bigger movements from the arms. I was especially impressed by the pressure the kite built up in the little wind we had, resulting in a very good tracking. My experience is mostly based on larger kites like the Transfer family (long arms and footwork) and the QuantumPro, I felt quite happy with the Exile immediately, the Talon was simply too fast and too subtle for me. (I'm an old man too). If you are beginning to trick, you really need something slower to be able to follow.
As for the Genesis, it's somehow in between with tricking speed and inputs. It was designed by an Ex-Stack-flyer, so there is a certain "Ballet-Style" built in. It has the necessary precision and is very easily trickable if you know how to do it... If it has to be LevelOne I'd prefer a JumpingJackFlash.
I find it much easier to learn with kites that need bigger inputs, for the simple reason that the margin to hit the right spot for a given trick gets larger. You can ruin a Jacob's Ladder on a smaller and faster kite with a finger movement which a bigger and slower kite wouldn't even notice.
For me it would be difficult to decide between the Exile and the Mantis, from what I remember the Mantis seemed a little trickier, but that is quite some time ago. At least these two are not so very different and have the same price, so you might let the looks decide.

Erik

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:47 PM by Datenland » Logged
Moonfog

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32 AM »

Wow Datenland, that's the first 'negative' thing I've heard about the Talon!   Shocked

An interesting insight all the same.  Smiley
Datenland

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 08:42 AM »

Certainly not negative, it's a brilliant kite. I'm only not up to it.

Erik
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:46 AM by Datenland » Logged
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 09:01 AM »

I've only got about 300 hours on the Exile and an equal amount of time on the Talon but my experience is just the opposite of yours. I find the Talon much easier to trick and a lot less sensitive to changes in wind speed. The Exile is a great kite in steady winds under 10 mph. Over 10 and the kite gets really fast and hard to trick. And in gusty winds.... forget it.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
anOldMan

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 09:12 AM »

I've only got about 300 hours on the Exile and an equal amount of time on the Talon but my experience is just the opposite of yours. I find the Talon much easier to trick and a lot less sensitive to changes in wind speed. The Exile is a great kite in steady winds under 10 mph. Over 10 and the kite gets really fast and hard to trick. And in gusty winds.... forget it.

Denny

I think Datenland was talking about the Talon and Exile "ULs". I would not let anyone use my Talon UL or Exile UL in 10 and over winds. That is why I have standard kites Wink

IMO, Datenland observations are accurate and does not deter from the qualities of either kite.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:16 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01 AM »

Oh, my bad. If you're talking UL's there's no comparison. The Talon is miles ahead of the Exile.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography