GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 02:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless foolproof connector placement  (Read 2127 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: October 01, 2009, 11:02 PM »

Another tip I recently discovered for you Fearless (and probably SD) owners.

If you look at Lams kites - you will see marks (little horizontal lines) on the sail near the upper LE connector, lower LE connector, and yoyo stoppers.  These are there for precise placement of the connectors and stoppers.

Align the lines with the top edge (the flat part, not the angled part) of the stoppers and you will be dead-on as the designer intended.

This is very handy during re-assembly when replacing a broken LE.  I'll post a picture when I take one.

6 kite tom
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:04 AM »

The marks also help determining if you LE tension is correct.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
johnfarl

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:53 AM »

How do you do that?

John
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:56 PM »

hi guys a little veer from topic does anyone have a pic of lams backup yo-yo stoppers handy??  i could use 1 thanx for the tip tom i found them when i reframed the standard

[attachment deleted by admin]

have fun kurt
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:13 PM »

KO,

He told me how to make some, but I have no picture. 

Get some super skinny sparring, glue some beads into position (they slide onto the spar), and tape it to the LE with some gaffers tape.

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:50 AM »

here is a pic it is on webshots

have fun kurt
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:18 AM »

I got them on my SD's and my both my Fearless

"Do what you like"
kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:48 PM »

OK, kite bags....I found a fishing pole case.  It is zippered, padded fabric with a couple pockets on the outside.  About 4 ft long, or so.  It will hold 3 or 4 kites easy, with accessories in the pockets.  Only a buck at the yard sale.  Unused, but dirty.  Cleaned up nicely.

anOldMan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:49 AM »

How do you do that?

John

Tension the LEs so the marks on the kite matchup with the fittings. I made sure that the lower spreader was accurate. Then use a marker pen (white or silver) and mark the tensioning line at the last hole (furthest from the tip) on the inside of the kite. When you tension the LEs the next time, just tension until you see the mark on the tensioning line.

anOldMan
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 09:05 AM »

1 Use the connectors to determine correct LE tension.
or
2 Use the sail marks to determine correct connector placement.

Both of these can't be true at the same time. At least one item has to be a reference and unchangeable. Either one can be true by itself if,

1 The connectors never move
or
2 The sail material never stretches and you have a reference knot on the wingtip.

Good grief.  Sad

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57 AM »

I am a little confused myself - maybe I missed something.

I never really tension the LEs - just make them reasonably tight, lash them, and forget it.  I set them up when I got the kite and never touch them after that.  It's a straight LE kite - you don't want any bow to it.

The marks don't move, but the connectors can with significant effort during repairs (or very bad crashes I suppose).

6 kite tom
anOldMan

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56 PM »

The marks are on the sail. When the sail is not tensioned the marks on the sail do not always line up with the connectors. The marks on the sails are to show where the connectors are to be placed when the sail is under tension. If you watch the video of Lam tensioning the LE. You can see that he applies a little bit more than reasonable tension. Just a mark on the sail and placement of the connector have no meaning without sail tension.

When I recieved my Fearless, I marked the tension when the marks on the sail lined up with the connectors. If I happen to break a LE. I replace the LE. tension the sail  and glue the connector stoppers where the connector lines up with the mark on the sail. That is where Lam originally put the connector.

I always have trouble tensioning a LE when there is no indication as to how tight. Either a knot or some kind of mark. Just a bit of briddle line attached to the end of the sail and a nock on the tip of the LE with instructions to put line over tip and pull until tight, does not have a lot meaning to me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:36 AM by anOldMan » Logged

anOldMan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document