GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is embarrasing....  (Read 2010 times)
Deltasteve
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 05, 2009, 10:04 AM »

...but I have owned a Canard for two years and never flown it.   Job stuff, etc. has intervened but primarily, I have gotten all the lines tangled and can't get them untangled.

I took it out to the field twice and got the lines and frame so messed up I now don't have any idea how to get this kite back together.  The directions that came with the kite don't have quite enough detail to help.  Should I send it back to the manufacturer for their assistance or does anyone else have a suggestion?

Am I the only one?   Sheesh.

Embarrassed

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31 AM »

Not unheard of.  The Canard can be tough to figure out once it gets 'tangled' particularly if you've never assembled one before.  You could try contacting Premier and see if they can help or maybe a local kite shop or a local flyer could get it straightened out for you.  I'd certainly do it for you but postage here and back would probably kill that idea.

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:13 PM »

http://www.premierkites.com/pdf/kites/45880.pdf
what spot are you stuck on?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ainokea

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:31 PM »

Take your time, it's not really that difficult. It's a simple design, but with the lines attached
it can seem hard and fustrating.  Huh Once you get it figured out you'll see, it's not that hard
to do. I love my Canard, great light wind flyer.  Smiley

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:47 PM »

Like ainokea said, take your time. Your not the only one to do that.

I did the same thing, not to one canard but to two of them on the same day Cry   

On one of them I untied one line at a time to get it untangled. The other one I was able to figure it out. If the wind is blowing do the job indoors.

Deltasteve

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 03:10 PM »

Thanks...well it's pretty much a mess overall.  I detached a few lines to make it easier and then it really got fouled up.  I think I'll make one more effort tonight and then if I can't get it....well, we'll see.   Thanks thief for the pdf file.

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:16 PM »

Steve: where are you located? there might be another owner nearby/person to help?

are you able to take a picture or two of the toruble spots and post them? or email them to me/someone?

rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00 PM »

Hmmm, Canard, if you decide to give up I might be interested in a challenge.

Ron
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 05:21 PM »

From the Into The Wind blog:

"Val did offer one hint about assembling the Canard. He said that when putting the kite together the rigging lines can get twisted and knotted creating a nightmare. According to Val, the easiest way to avoid this problem is to remove the kite from the case and pop off the clear vinyl tubing pieces that cover the nocks. White marks on the bridle lines will help you to correctly tension the kite again. When the kite is assembled, replace the clear vinyl tubing pieces and fly. Or should I say, glide."

HTH

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 12:47 AM »

Not really too hard. Pull the endcap and the elastic and the two lines off the bottom, they should untangle easily. assemble the frame then re-install the lines. Two lines, one goes from the outer rear of the wing to the opposite outer, the other from inner to inner. Lines in the Knock first then the elastic then the endcap. Up front you have two lines that run from wingtip to the canard sail. You also have to spend a little time on the wings to get them on the right side of the spine. Canard for certain goes under the spine. There is some debate though on the main wing, the pictures appear that the spine goes under the wing which lets the wing form a nice airfoil shape, Ted flys his with the wing under the spine, his seems to fly a little better then mine his way but mine won't make the stretch his way. They do fly fine either way and he's on lighter line and that may be the difference.

Be prepared to do it again, no matter how carefully you wrap it up the dang things get all mussed up every time, Sunday was the easiest time I've had yet taking only about 5 minutes to get everything going the right way.

Great kite though, wide wide wind range, gracefull, and if you get some thermals it'll just sit straight overhead and circle.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Deltasteve

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27 PM »

The actual history of this kite (found the receipt in the kite bag) is that I bought it from Steve on 10/26/05.   I tried flying it three times.  The first two times there was not enough wind and I had lots of tangles in the rigging lines and the third time it was very windy and my line problems got so bad that I put it away and there it sat until this week.

After reading all your advice, I removed the sail completely from the frame and within twenty minutes had it all back together properly.  It was a lot easier to untwist the lines that way and with help from the PDF file thief sent me...I figured it out.   I then let it sit in my living room for the last day while the wrinkles worked themselves out and I got really familiar with how and where everything attached.

This afternoon I carefully took the kite apart and used rubber bands to keep everything tight together before I put it in the kite bag.

Off to the field, where by 2:30pm the winds were running between 6-10mph with occasional higher gusts.   I GENTLY and CAREFULLY removed the kite from the bag and began to assemble it.  Immediately I had twisted lines.  AAARRGG.   However after about fifteen minutes I got everything worked out.   I'm afraid this is never going to be an easy kite to assemble in the field or I'm just a dunce?

So, did it fly?   You bet!  It basically took off right out of my hand it stayed at about 175 yards for the next couple of hours.  I think it looks great and I just love the way it looks against the sky. It also got more than a few comments from high school cross country teams that came by on their training runs.  It did flutter more than I thought it would during real high gusts so at one point I brought it down to check the rigging lines to make sure everything was tight, which they were.   The second time up it still fluttered a bit so I suppose that's just the nature of the kite...just not as taught at a delta.

Do I have proof?  You bet...but for some reason I can't attach pics.  They are under 100KB but I can't get them to show up when I preview??  I'm trying to upload them from my Desktop...shouldn't that work?

Last, I flew the Canard on 80lb Dacron that is in good shape but at least five years old.   Was I on the edge?

Thanks again guys, most appreciated.
Moe

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:44 PM »

Haven't tried it on this forum, but most software wipes the pics when you hit 'preview' - you've got to just hit post, and they'll upload.

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
Deltasteve

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 05:34 AM »

Haven't tried it on this forum, but most software wipes the pics when you hit 'preview' - you've got to just hit post, and they'll upload.

Hmm, I've not found that the case on other forums...but lets give it a try.

The second photo (a little distant) is the Canard and my Ingraham 10th Anniversary Delta.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography