GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheat Line  (Read 1537 times)
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 05, 2009, 10:41 AM »

Or Anti-foul line.   Seems to be a little old school.  And I know it wont help us gain better form at giving more slack.  But ...  Smiley    In flying a newly aquired e2, abviously my techniques leave little to be desired as the poor thing is a tip wrap machine for me.  I dont see many talk about adding cheat lines to theri kites for beginners.  But I have seen many "old timers" with them on their kites.  What is the thought on these things? adding them, not using them...
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18 PM »

If you are constantly tip-wrapping your kite with your lineset, the consistent answer will always be:
MORE SLACK!

After you initiate the trick, push both arms forward and/or run forward to the extent you see your lines drop out of the way of the kite wingtips.

Trick lines are really only needed on kites where the wing is partially shaped by the tension of the trick line (SL7, Stranger, for example).

Good luck.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
dhayden
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:50 PM »

Cheesy

makes sense  lol, just didnt know anything about them
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:09 PM »

Many old kites with long bridles relied on a trick line to keep the bridle off the keel. "keeper" lines added to the bridle solve that problem. Full trick lines make pitch tricks much, um, trickier. :-)

Modified or "M" trick lines that connect to the standoffs are an OK compromise.

Generally speaking, forget the trick line.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:46 AM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:23 PM »

As stated above, Tip wraps are almost always (95%) caused by lack of slack. The trick lines that you see on some kites are to stop the inhaul line from wrapping around the keel of the kite, not the lower outhaul line from wrapping around the tip.

As chilese stated: MORE SLACK!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:31 PM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:03 PM »

Do not give up on the E2, as it is one of the best kites that i have flown and learned tricks when i started flying. You do not have to do anything to the bridle and as the guys with lots of experience advise, give more slack and you will avoid tip wraps. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change