GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 10220 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55 PM »

in terms of a UL frame (I've not seen/heard discussion of an SUL frame), here is a thread that covers a few possibilities.
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4150.0
I never ended up building a UL version - I may still yet.

in terms of the spine length, both of the Vortexes I've built have a spine of 80.5cm.  I cut my spine after I've made the sail and cut it to fit, so there is sometimes a 1/2cm variance depending on how I decide to finish the frame and what system I use to add tail weight and such. 

best of luck with your build.  The Vortex is one of my favorite kites, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 05:00 PM »

Perfect idea to use your BMK Exile as an example during your first build. Things like the leading edge cutouts, wingtip tensioning, sail reinforcements, bridle attachment etc that aren't alway clear in plans since most builders have their own preferences have been well studied by Ken. IMO his methods have been refined to an elegant simplicity, nothing fancy, just perfectly functional in a minimalist way. That's beauty in my eyes

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
sugarbaker

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 05:10 PM »

his methods have been refined to an elegant simplicity, nothing fancy, just perfectly functional in a minimalist way. That's beauty in my eyes

couldn't have said it better myself when referring to Ken's work... the exact reason I've adopted many of his techniques in my own builds.  Not only have I learned from inspecting his kites, but he has explained some techniques to me by email which I have now shared in the B'zar 2011 build thread (with his permission). 

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 11:12 PM »

We were lucky enough to attend one of his workshops here in Chico, we took a lot away from that experience. Anything we've built since then has pretty much followed the methods we learned that weekend.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
coogee

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45 PM »

The UL is the Blue, white, slate one and is framed P100 in the LE, spine Excel 6mm, US Structil 5mm, LS 3PT, sail in Icarex, mylar 60gr, bridle turbo.
Weight, 12gr both
This is from a previous thread and is Mr Derafats frame options for a UL Vortex. I really like the Vortex great kite and the Organic is great fun, trick monster.
 Mike
kitebug
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 08:57 AM »

I am in the preparation stages for building a Vortex. This will be my first ever build, but I am planning on drawing from the wealth of experience and knowledge on this site and Kitebuilder.com. I also own a BMK Exile I plan on using as a standard for quality and a source of inspiration as I build. I am currently gathering the last bits of materials I will need to do this project.

There is one piece of information I can not seem to find in this thread, on the plans nor any other site for that matter. I need to know what the spine length is supposed to be. 82.5 cm is the closest I can guess from the plans.

Here is a picture of the plan section that "should have the measurement.

BTW, has anyone tried to build this with a UL or SUL frame with any luck? If so, what did you use for spars?

Note that the bridle mark up note is misleading, it is a turbo. the 65+5 means the tow point is at 65 and the turbo returns 5 back to outhaul. I had this wrong in my first build and thanks to Don Cortez who poited this out to me I have now corrected mine and is it much better.

I also framed the LS with p300 as this is what I had on hand at the time, and the kite is not the same at all. I have also replacaed the LS to the recommeded 5PT, much much better.

Volando!
Cisco
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51 AM »

Thanks everyone for the pointers and advice. I will be starting this build in about a week. Surgery on Thurs, straight recovery for a couple days then start working on this project.
Since photography is one of my other hobbies, I might just document this project from a first time builders perspective. It could be quite interesting, and, if you see me heading down a wrong road, you might be able to point it out before I get past a point of no return.   Wink

I have the PC-31, poly thread, LE and TE slit polyester bridal line and most fittings. I will need to get the correct LE connectors to work with the framing. Right now I plan on using the following spars:

ULE = P90
LLE = P100
US = 5mm
LS = 3PT
Spine = P100

Wish me luck!!
sugarbaker

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50 AM »

what colors did you decide on?
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 12:14 PM »

what colors did you decide on?

Colors are going to be BRIGHT!
"Wine" red "Grape" purple and Neon Yellow.
I love highly contrasting colors, and I really dig Neon Yellow as a color on wing tips.
The final panel color scheme hasn't been locked down yet. I have five or six full layouts I really like, but I haven't quite nailed down which one I'll use this time around. I'll try to post my final decision before I start the build.

I like the trend toward grays and highlight colors, but hey, I also like bucking trends too. Cheesy
So, I expect a bit of critiquing, but that only helps me do better work.
When I post my work on different photography forums, I invite critiquing. It helps me look at things from different perspectives, and thus expands my creativeness.
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 11:10 AM »

OK, before I dive head first into this project, I have a question for you expert builders.

The Vortex plans call for a Mylar backed panel where the standoffs attach.

I was planning on using a 2 inch wide strip of Mylar Laminated tape. http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=259
This tape would be sewn in at the TE on the panel the is called to be backed.

Is this going to be sufficient for a UL version of the Vortex, or should I go ahead and pop for a yard of Mylar cloth?
sugarbaker

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 11:53 AM »

I think you you may want to invest in some mylar that is slightly heavier than the mylar laminate tape.  You would be able to get away with using less than what the plan calls for, but I think you will appreciate the increased durability of having a doubled layer of fabric.  The other thing you can do (that I've had success with) is doubling with a layer of PC31, and using a strip of 1 inch dacron over that portion of the trailing edge for the durability. 

The other reason to buy some mylar is that inevitably, you will want to build another kite after you fly the Vortex!  Kite building is addictive. 
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 12:17 PM »

I think you you may want to invest in some mylar that is slightly heavier than the mylar laminate tape.  You would be able to get away with using less than what the plan calls for, but I think you will appreciate the increased durability of having a doubled layer of fabric.  The other thing you can do (that I've had success with) is doubling with a layer of PC31, and using a strip of 1 inch dacron over that portion of the trailing edge for the durability. 

I believe this is exactly the same material you used for the leading edge on your B'zar 2011 LE. 2" wide Mylar backed Dacron. If that isn't durable, I don't know what is. I have no issue ordering some Mylar cloth, such as is available from Kitebuilders.com, I just want to make sure it is the right material so I only have to order it once.

The other reason to buy some mylar is that inevitably, you will want to build another kite after you fly the Vortex!  Kite building is addictive. 
That is known fact! I already have ideas for builds two and three. Smiley So as long as the stuff on Kitebuilders is what I want, then I will get it on order.
sugarbaker

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22 PM »

make sure you clarify with Steve if you order what you are looking at.  I would be very surprised if it is the same stuff I used on the B'zar 2011, but really happy if it is (as there has not been a source for this material available in small quantities).  My feeling is that the tape you are looking at is a thin, lightweight mylar used for sail repairs.  I've been wrong many times in the past, but I would hate for you to wait for the delivery only to find out it isn't what you expected. 

Glad to hear you're planning your next builds already!  (I have three kites in the works right now and have 3 more planned... and so it will probably be forever!). 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:24 PM by sugarbaker » Logged
sugarbaker

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 12:28 PM »

after looking at Steve's website a little closer, you may be right, that this is the same stuff used on the B'zar.  I have quite a substantial collection of it now, but it is nice to know there may be a supply of it for future purchases.  (still make sure before you order).

Even if it is the same material as I use on the B'zar leading edge, remember that it is black and will show through any colored fabric you use for the sail... another reason to use clear mylar.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your Vortex UL (you should post some pics of the build as well)!
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 12:39 PM »

after looking at Steve's website a little closer, you may be right, that this is the same stuff used on the B'zar.  I have quite a substantial collection of it now, but it is nice to know there may be a supply of it for future purchases.  (still make sure before you order).

Even if it is the same material as I use on the B'zar leading edge, remember that it is black and will show through any colored fabric you use for the sail... another reason to use clear mylar.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your Vortex UL (you should post some pics of the build as well)!

I'm holding a roll of it in my hand, it looks identical to what you show on you B'zar, except mine is not on a spool, I only ordered 15 ft.
The color is also one of the biggest reasons I asked this question. When on the TE, it would show up as a black section when back lit. Not a bad thing, but maybe not ideal. Mylar cloth will be ordered shortly.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document