GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 07:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 9594 times)
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 03:25 PM »

OK, all parts are ordered. All plans appear to be coming together nicely. So, it's time for me to finalize my color selections.
These are the colors I will be using: Neon Yellow, Wine Red and Grape Purple.

After many iterations, I believe I will be using the following panel layout, although, this is not cast in concrete, yet.

Unless someone can convince me, with good reasoning, to use a different layout, I'll make my next post about this build as a build thread such as Sugarbaker has done. Just don't expect me to produce the same quality kite as this is my first build.  Lips sealed
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 04:03 PM »

you won't be disappointed! The vortex is such a great kite I've made two, and may make a third one this spring. 
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 08:17 AM »

Before I mess up my Vortex build, I have a question.
The positions marked on the plans for the US and LS, what do they represent? Are they the intersect position of the spar, the upper edge of the APA connector, the lower edge of the APA connector or the center of the APA connector?
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 05:45 PM »

OK, one more question: Where should the inner and outer standoffs be located along the spreaders? Any measurements?
iwan00
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 05:44 AM »

Before I mess up my Vortex build, I have a question.
The positions marked on the plans for the US and LS, what do they represent? Are they the intersect position of the spar, the upper edge of the APA connector, the lower edge of the APA connector or the center of the APA connector?

I have also started to bulid Vorthex an the same question is bothering me, maybe somebody could answer PLEASE Smiley

my vortex will look like this, I hope.. :
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:46 AM by iwan00 » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 09:19 AM »

Vortex is a great kite... I enjoy mine very much. It's been a while since I put mine together, but I believe I centered my APA connectors on the leading edge connector marks on the plan.  Give it a go, but don't place stoppers until you're happy with the setup... this will allow some fine adjustment.
iwan00

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50 AM »

[..]but don't place stoppers until you're happy with the setup... this will allow some fine adjustment.

good hint, thanks.

first half is done:

i have changed my mind and will not back full panel with mylar, i'll just put a stip of reinforcement under standoff connector line like AKA_MrBill does in his build
iwan00

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 07:36 AM »

Sail is done:

Now it's the time for framing.

I am wondering between 5PT and BD Nitro STD for LS.
Also to change Spine to 5PT
Maybe somebody have tried this solution? Is it good idea at all?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:41 AM by iwan00 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography