GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridle measurement Hawaiian team kite  (Read 3369 times)
jambo101
Trade Count: (0)
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:05 AM »

The kite just doesnt fly well, in a good wind it has a tendency to stall when in a tight turn,not sure what to adjust,the horizontal  or the vertical parts of the bridle.If any one has access to the measurements of a well flying Hawaiian Team kite i'll buy the beer next time you are in Montreal Smiley

Right now its 3 legged bridle is set up roughly at (give or take a half inch)  from the upper spreader connector to the swivel the length is 19", from the center-t to the swivel the length is 25 1/2", and from the lower spreader connector to the swivel the length is 18".
All spars and bungee end fittings seem  normal.
Thanks

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53 AM »

btw Jambo:
Most kites will enter a stall after a tight turn.....it is a great way to learn to control the kite in a stalled position.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
jambo101
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:35 AM »

1.I get 20 3/4" from the LE to the swivel

2. 20 1/4 from LE to swivel

3. 22 3/4--I think the previous owner flew it in high winds as the swivel is about 2" below the mark.

4. 21"

Thanks Zeke  but as somewhat of a newb i'm not familiar with what your length terminology is referring to (embarassment smilie)  And what is the 21" referring to in number 4
With out a diagram i'd probably understand it in this phraseology=
Top lines to swivel
lower center lines to swivel
Left and right lines to swivel
 Thanks
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:32 AM »

Mike Dennis showed me that the bridle/line attachment point should be aprox 0.25 inches from touching the lower edge of the sail when pulled taught from both the upper and lower leading edge connections

hope this helps

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

jambo101
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34 AM »

kiteking   i notice in your photos the lines coming down seem to form a 90 degree angle with the lines coming from the lower leading edge,is this a good way to assure my bridle is set up correctly?
jambo101
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:03 AM »

Now thats kite flying,these new ultra light kites and all their tricks may have a lot of skill involved but to me it isnt really kite flying as much as a creative way to contol a crash,nothing like a big delta kite snarling through gracefull arcs in the sky... Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:19 AM by jambo101 » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 06:24 PM »

kiteking   i notice in your photos the lines coming down seem to form a 90 degree angle with the lines coming from the lower leading edge,is this a good way to assure my bridle is set up correctly?

Sorry for the delay,

Yes, if you pull tight both down and toward the center, the tip of the bridle should be .25 inch short of the edge of the sail

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

steve worcester
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 01:07 PM »

(Mind if I butt in?)
I have a team kite that I bought years ago used and question if the bridle is adjusted correctly. The attached photo shows how mine are set. One thing I wonder about is the (19") left edge to swivel is the fixed length line, aside from if I have the other lengths correct.

Also, what effect does making one shorter or longer?

Thanks for your patience with this noob.
I am anxious though 'cause I am taking it to Maui to fly, thought that might be rather fitting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:08 PM by steve worcester » Logged
steve worcester
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:24 PM »

less than 19" and it will pull less in high winds. Somewhere over 20"-21" and it may not fly at all.....there may also be a mark of some kind on the bridle that can be used as a guide line.

The one vertical (21.5) in the photo? There is a mark, inches down from the spar
john.m
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 05:17 AM »

Looks like you got the bridle set up properly Jim !!

That thing flew like a hurricane yesterday.  What thunder !

Now I know why you have those mountain climbing ropes as lines... I popped the lines on the Snapshot 1.4 twice before we left the field at 4:30.  I never would have imagine 150# lines snapping so easily, but they just went 'pop' with no fanfare at all.  Weather Canada reports that the wind was blowing at 26 mph (43 kmh).

It's a wonder that no one ended up taking a dip in that ditch yesterday.

Great stuff.
jambo101
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 05:25 AM »

steve worcester measurements and 25mph winds made for a perfect day.
Thanks for the company John,hope you enjoyed the rare thrill of actually flying a Hawaiin team kite,a Hawaiian Spin off and an old 6ft Flexi foil all in the same afternoon.Those new fangled foils fly nice but when they crash what a tangle of lines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document