GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 09:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a smattering of into on UL single line kites....  (Read 11081 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47 AM »

Horvath Hybrid 200 Update - I did purchase the Hybrid 200 and it performed great OUTDOORS. The SKATE may be equal as I was told this can be used outside also - still to be seen. Anyway - I took the Horvath Hybrid 200 on a three hour test run. When I started I let out about 75' of line and anchored the kite line spool in the sand. In very low wind say 1 maybe 2 mph the kite was able to fly back and forth (i.e., perform up and over) moves quite well with no bumps or negative flying characteristics. As with the Skate instruction being at an off-angle on the pull was key for turning and having the kite come back at you. Something interesting happen when the wind picked up to 3-5? mph. At this point the Hybrid 200 was not capable of coming back over me since any release of the line eventually sent the kite back out in front of me. This was still enjoyable. The kite was simply operating in a half circle instead of 360*. Why were these guys advertising this kite as a zero wind when I was till have a great time in a half circle?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I agree in zero or 1-3 mph this kite is in its prime. Depending on the wind direction at the beach or open area a clean wind is  key here with this kite so bumpy winds may be a real negative if you want to try 180* flights. I was flying in pure south winds. On my next flight based on the wind direction and number of people on the beach it would be more interesting/challenging to go to 100 or 125' feet. They recommend no more than 150' which seems obvious unless you want to get really aerobic in very low wind or simply a sudden gust of wind may damage the kite above this  recommended height maximum.
One question - I am using typical regular single line kite which seems to twist a bit at the connection point - as with dual lines I prefer the best as in Laser Gold - for this type of kite what kite line do you recommend and more importantly what pound strength for any ULSLK (Thief - this question is primarily towards you).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:52 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 01:24 PM »

Now look what youve done !  Shocked

All this talking about how fun single-line kites are. How dare you, how dare you all !?

Result : Ive had to get one, to see for myself what all the hubub is about. Guess I will know soon enough, as a Stryke Fighter is on its way to Denmark...
 Wink

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
Blownfuse

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 12:21 AM »

Oh, just got a picture of my fighter. Now it is up to the postal services, when I will be able to try it out.

Grin

normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:52 AM »

Is Paul Shirey (Aerostar Kites) still making those Stryke fighters, or is this a resale, or what? I've got one Stryke, and it's a nifty fighter, engineered within an inch of its life (like all of Paul's kites). It can also fly pretty well in pretty light winds -- but it's not a zero-wind glider-kite by a long stretch. . .

Norm in Toronto
Blownfuse

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 12:58 AM »

Lets just say that Im a very lucky Dane. Guess I caught Mr Shirey at the exact right moment, and he agreed to make me this one. And no, it is not a 0mph SLK, but this thread has its share of the responsebility, that I ended up getting the Stryke. And officially it flyes from 2mph, which (according to most) is definately UL-territory.
 Wink

normofthenorth

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 11:43 PM »

New info on indoor glider kites just posted on the Zen Indoor Glider Kite thread. . .

Norm in Toronto
imarche

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 06:44 PM »

That's a nice comparison of the UL SLKs! I believe it's the 1st one so far? Great! Have ordered a Skate, waiting eagerly for it!

Chua

Blownfuse

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 04:39 AM »

Ive got it !

Maybe not a no-wind-kite, and definately a fighter. But in my book also a UL SLK.

Now I got to learn flying a fighter.....  Cheesy

normofthenorth

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 12:09 PM »

Learning to fly a fighter is great fun, and the Stryke is a pretty good trainer. FIRST you've got to learn to release the line if the kite is heading down to the ground. Even dropping the line completely then is OK, and WAY better than pulling!

Once you can avoid crashing hard, you and the Stryke can have a LONG "conversation" about flying technique!

IIRC, Paul includes quite clear instructions on setup and tuning. Pay attention to that, even if you don't usually read instructions! You want around 1-2cm of spine bow (and don't even THINK of untying the knots on that tensioner!), and the flying-line attachment point should be centered on the bridle Left-Right and near the factory mark Up-Down. Moving it up makes the kite faster and spinnier, moving it down makes it slower and less turn-y (until it just hovers or "cobra"s and doesn't fly).

Have fun!

Norm in Toronto
lad
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42 PM »

Interesting overview - I used to have one of the "grandaddies" of the genre - the Windworks Second Wind kite. It was pretty cool - not sure if could "glide" though.

I envy anyone with a Stryke fighter - esp. with that adjustable sail tensioner!  Wink (My Howard Flick is a cool UL  fighter - and my Ludwig Light Wind Roo is handy too).

thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 11:43 AM »

the 2nd wind would glide a little bit....it was more like a big oversized fighter....that you could put spinney tails on to make it stable....wish i had one in the bag....................

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document