GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of another Talon.... ?  (Read 1228 times)
Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: October 09, 2009, 05:03 AM »

Hi !

I might, just might, be so unbelieveable lucky, that I have opportunity to buy a new kite soon. I have the Talon UL, and I am extremely satisfied with it. It gives me great joy, it really does.

Now, there is a lot of very appealing kites on the market, but I really like my Talon UL, so why not go for another. Not UL, offcourse. I fly the UL as much as I can, but feel that it is at itīs best, below 8mph. I fly it even when it picks up, but when it gets above 12mph, it simply is not as much fun.

Then itīs a good thing, that there are two more Talons, in Marks line-up. The vented and the standard. But if the opportunity arrises, which one to get ? I read a lot of good things about them both. The vented should be a fun flyer, even in low winds (for a vented kite that is), and is rated up to 30mph. That should keep me covered, seriously doubt that I would ever go flying in 30+mph.

Would a set of UL and vented, leave a big wind-strenght gap where neither of them is really fun to fly ? Would I be better of getting a STD ? Also in this equation is the fact, that I soon will recieve another very nice kite (MB Customs Webbed Synthesis), in the STD windrange. Itīs not a Talon, but have heard good stuff about it. And it is real prrrreeeettyyyy..... Not Talon-pretty, but equally pretty, just in another way. Yes, I am not oblivious to how a kite looks. I mean, hey, I chose a Talon for my first really expensive kite.

Would appreciate the oppinions and inputs from you. To sum it up :

Got an Talon UL. If I can buy one more Talon, what would give me best coverage, wind-strength-wise :

1 - Talon UL and Talon STD
2- Talon UL and Talon vented
3- Talon UL and sometthing completely different (what and why, if you please)

Roll Eyes  Huh
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:37 AM by Blownfuse » Logged

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29 AM »

I would suggest you get the std. Talon first. Its a lot more like the UL than the vented is. Eventually you'll end up with all 3  Grin  but you'll probably fly the std. & UL a lot more often than the vent. At least I do.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:56 AM »

Denny's right keep the vented for last Wink

The new Frank!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:14 AM »

But the vented is the prettiest.  Cool

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Francois

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:17 AM »

And the more $$$$ Roll Eyes

The new Frank!
dragonfly

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:34 PM »

But the vented is the prettiest.  Cool

It's always the pretty ones that cause the most trouble.
Cheesy

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:47 PM »

You can always follow Marks suggestion: Talon Std 1st, then the UL and then the Vented. I happen to have all three and I find that I have the most hours on the UL then (just slightly less) the STD, and finally the Vented.

The two work horses are the UL and the STD with the vented used infrequently.

By your reasoning, you feel the the Talon UL begin work right for you at 8 mph. The STD will probable start working for you at 14 or 15 mph, leaving the Vented at over 20 mph. If you get the vented first, you are going (my your standards) to have a very big wind speed hole between the UL and the vented.

A STD kite is just that, the Standard kite. With the UL being used for lighter winds and the Vented used for higher winds. The only reason I can see for not having a STD kite, is you don't have the std speed winds (it is either nothing or a lot) where you normally fly. Or you already have a good std kite to fly in those winds.

Then you question is answered. Get a Vented for high winds.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 05:58 PM »

For what i have heard about the Talons, i will go for the standard   Cool . That beauty is next on my wish list . Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change