GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 02:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st kite Firstorm from kite magic config mod  (Read 4157 times)
Damo666
Trade Count: (0)
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:00 AM »

G-Day All,

I am a newbie and just got a Firestorm 1.8 meter from kite magic coogie sydney $70  Embarrassed from kite magic i have had 4 flights with it now i just wanted to know if any one has modded one or knows what the trick limitations are for this model.

After the first flight in the big gusts 2 weeks ago and after breaking my lines a cpl of times(guess the wind was a little 2 strong just had to fly Embarrassed)

Well i have changed my lines now to CLIMAX 25meter 75kg blue lines with straps(supplied lines had big chunky plastic handles which made it hard told feel the line tension) which has now made the kite feel alot better.
As this kite is a little heavy today i found out for light winds i moved the 2 inner rods default is 90 deg(i think there called stand offs) towards the center about 8 fingers from the center and the 2 outer(smaller ones) as far left as they would go resulting in the kite flying a lot easyer in the light wind.

So far i have managed figure 8's, squares, multie loops(5 is the most so far) horizontal stalls at the edge of the window, side slides left to right or right to left (only one way almost from one 1 side to the other of the window with minimal wing rock) stall landings from very high with just a little wing rock, recoveries have been cartwheels(not gracefull), pop-ups and 1 dead launch(still having trouble with that one i think im pulling 2 hard) so far i think i going ok since this kite is not that light and i have never flown kites before and learning alone.
But 2 things i would like to know what other tricks can be done with this model and i am all ready wanting a free style trainer was thinking the prism Hypnotist i would be gratefull for any advise you guys have.

Thanks in advance  Smiley

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:24 AM by Damo666 » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:54 AM »

First of all:

You look to be doing very weii so far. Keep up the good work.

Secondly:

I would imagine you could get the basic repertoire out of it but not without some work. The success rate would be variable as well.

John Welden and I managed 540s one time. I recall it was a lot of work though. I think it was the subject of a bet.

This kite is more about flying a big kite at the beach than it is about tricking.

It would certainly become more responsive if you were to change the frame out for some Skyshark 7PT.

But then, that would cost quite a bit as well, and would not transform it into a trick monster by any means.

Knock off with the dead launch if you don't want to be repairing this thing all the time.

You'd certainly be better off with the Hypnotist if you want to learn more complicated tricks with less effort.

OTOH, it can be fun to try and get tricks out of a kite that is not exactly designed to do them. You can learn a lot.
kiten00b
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30 AM »

maybe this is another kite called Firestorm, the graphics look a lot different
portley777

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:17 PM »

Yes this is the kite I bought (in Australia). It came with 2 extra spreaders. As mentioned in a previous post the spreaders on mine were made from fibreglass or at least a form of carbon of similar strength. The spreaders simply snapped when the wind gusted a bit. If you can get a bit of life out of it then that would be great. I've been meaning to reframe it (heavy duty) for my friends to use - rather than my nice Euro kites. All the best:)

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:42 PM »

... just got a Firestorm $70  Embarrassed from kite magic

Have a chat with Mike from Kite Magic.  He's a very knowledgeable flyer.  As far as I know he doesn't stock any "recognised" brands - mainly good quality, Chinese, low end of the market types.  But he isn't the sort of guy who would talk you into buying something you don't want or need.

I haven't flown the Firestorm, so I can't comment on it's capabilities.  If you are wanting to learn more freestyle tricks (axels, flatspins, rollups, etc) there are certainly capable, inexpensive kites on the market that will get you into that genre.  You could consider posting a "Wanted" in the Swap Meet of this forum.  Plenty of people will have something in their bag they are willing to pass on to a newbie at a good price

Best of luck

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 03:54 PM »

This is what my Firestorm looks like...

I am really interested in the idea of re-framing it with 7pts, but I thought the lower spreaders were too big to use standard Skyshark parts. Do they make 7pts big enough for the lower spreaders ? I think they're ~40 inches.
I would not recommend flying one of these in wind >10mph. The lower spreaders do break quite easily. I have been able to fly it in very low wind, though. Does all the standard tricks with large arm movements...

~Rob.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 07:10 PM »

That's the kite. A New Tech Firestorm and yes, they make 40" PT rods.

Whether or not that is the Firestorm referenced by the OP is another matter.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:13 PM by JimB » Logged
Adicakes
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:26 PM »

Damo, I know a local bloke who  bought the kite you pictured maybe a year or two ago.  I had a go of it a few times and managed to axel, half axel, fade, cascade, 540 and lazy susan it.  It certainly may've done more but the owner had broken a few lower spreaders and I wasn't game to push my luck on someone else's kite.
Damo666
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:58 PM »

Thanks for the feed back Jim your right this i a basic kite and is a lot of work for tricks but as you said its fun trying to push it into stuff.
I'm just a little short on cash so im going to fly this to death then get the hypnotist and then realy start learning.
Just some back ground i have flown RC planes freestyle 3D for the last 6 years so my eyes are trained to look for changes in what ever i'm flying.
Thanks again mate  Smiley
Damo666
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:00 PM »

maybe this is another kite called Firestorm, the graphics look a lot different

G-Day kiten00b,

I just found out that there are at least 3 companys with kites named firestorm but myn is from kite magic sydney.

Damo666
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05 PM »

Thanks Kevin I'll give him a call and have a chat
Damo666
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 11:11 PM »

This is what my Firestorm looks like...

G-Day Rob,

Yours looks wicked great colors but yours is very different.
My maiden flight with myn was in very strong winds lets just say i was leaning back into the wind so i didn't fall over  Grin he,he.

The only damage was i broke the lines(standard ones that came with it) oh and folded the kite a cpl times from poping the spreaders out.
I will say this for a $70 investment this kite is tough as nails.
Damo666
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 11:20 PM »

Damo, I know a local bloke who  bought the kite you pictured maybe a year or two ago.  I had a go of it a few times and managed to axel, half axel, fade, cascade, 540 and lazy susan it.  It certainly may've done more but the owner had broken a few lower spreaders and I wasn't game to push my luck on someone else's kite.

Thanks for the possible tricks so now i know its more my lack of experiance(i refuse to use spell check) i go by the feel techneik so sounds like i have a lot more practice  Roll Eyes

I was done marubra beach last weekend started a back spin but got over exited ended up in a fade and did the classic newbie mistake pull both lines instead of trying to roll it and yep burried it into the sand  Embarrassed but i'm learning and havn't killed it yet so i'll keep at it
Cheers Adicakes
Damo666
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:23 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks heaps to ALL for the replys great 2 see that help is only a question away.

If any one flys RC planes i have about 6 years of freestlyle 3d under my belt planes ranged from small foamys right up to the 40% 150cc planes.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:07 AM »

Hey Damo,

Went and had a look at your Firestorm over at Kite Magic.

Yeah, that is a way different kite from the one I was thinking of (see must86's).

It's about half the size of the NT Firestorm.

That should make a big difference in what you can get out of it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Fly it to death and then decide where to go next.

Wink

Thanks for the feed back Jim your right this i a basic kite and is a lot of work for tricks but as you said its fun trying to push it into stuff.
I'm just a little short on cash so im going to fly this to death then get the hypnotist and then realy start learning.
Just some back ground i have flown RC planes freestyle 3D for the last 6 years so my eyes are trained to look for changes in what ever i'm flying.
Thanks again mate  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document