GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 03:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good 1st kite?  (Read 5238 times)
KiteFace
Trade Count: (0)
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:59 AM »

Hi everyone.
I've been looking for a freestyle kite to recommend to a mate for his first kite. I let him fly my E2 and he picked it up really quickly. At the moment I've got the Prism Hypnotist in mind because it's cheap, comes with lines, a DVD, a bag and should be tough enough for a beginner. I'm only basing this on what I've read. I've never flown the Hypnotist myself. If anyone could offer any of their experiences with the Hypnotist or recommend another good beginner kite that wont be outgrown too quickly I would really appreciate it.
I look forward to hearing from you all. Smiley

Peace,
Petey.
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38 AM »

There are a lot of good kites available on the market, and it all depends on how much you want to spend or can afford. I take it that your "mate" is a novice, so any good beginner kite will be a good choice, as he will learn to adapt to the kite's characteristics very easily. I have only experienced the learning curve on old style kites like the Dynamite, E2, Elixir, but what i have read , kites like the Hypnotist, Nighthawk, Freestylist , Silver Fox , French Connection , to name a few should take him far enough past beginner and intermediate stages at an affordable price. This is only my opinion, as others will have different suggestions . Smooth winds .......
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:41 AM »

I might depend on how serious he feels about flying. I taught someone to fly and we met a few times. He bought a Nighthawk because it's a good solid starter kite but he hadn't flown it since he bought it in the spring. That tells me that he's not all that interested.

If he's not sure if he loves to fly the way I do than a "cheaper" kite like the Hypnotist or the Quantum would be good. If he KNOWS that he'll love to fly than I highly recommend the Blue Moon Muse as a high-end "starter" kite. The Muse is probably the least expense of the high end kites and it's far, far better than any of the sub-$100 starter kites.

The Premier Nighthawk is okay too but I find that it's harder to trick than a Blue Moon. And besides, when you get one of Ken McNeil's kites you would love to just appreciate the craftsmanship.

Personally, I have the BMK 61/49 and an Exile and I LOVE the Exile!

Bob D.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:11 AM »

The Hypnotist is a great choice, I've never flown a tougher kite. You get alot for your money when you consider that you get a good lineset and the DVD with the package. The only place the Hypno is going to come up short in in the light wind catagory.
The Muse is another great choice, but it bangs in at $100 more, and doesn't come with lines or a DVD. There's plenty of video online, so the DVD might not have as much value as it used to, but a set of lines is going to run another $30-$40.
 It took me a couple of years to outgrow the Mirage(Hypnotist), actually, I passed it to my nephew and he is learning on it. It's 4 or 5 years old now, and still flying strong. Oh, all the basic tricks can be done on the Hypnotist, and if you retrofit yoy stoppers, roll-ups can be done as well.
Good luck...
~Rob.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:38 PM »

1+ for the Hypnotist. Great first kite. It takes a beating and keeps on going. And as has been said, it'll do a lot of tricks too.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34 PM »

If your mate wants to fly around and do a few tricks, then the Hypnotists, Quantum or E2 will do fine. If he wants to learn slack line tricks and wants a kite that he can grow with, get get an Over by Eolo. It is one of the best trick trainer kites available.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:59 AM »

The HQ Jive is a great little kite for not a lot of money.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Albert

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:40 PM »

Any kite will be a Great first kite.. Give Steve a call, he never steered me wrong.

Albert
DavidS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 03:25 PM »

Any kite will be a Great first kite.. Give Steve a call, he never steered me wrong.

Albert

(if you are going to be a serious kiter...)

One of the primary functions of your first kite will be that it teaches you what you need to know when you purchase your second kite. 

For this task, any kite will do, and all of the suggestions are good to great.

-DavidS
 Madeira Beach, FL

WEST COAST FL - Fly at TI Sunday Oct 18th

Prism roll up with BMK Exile x2, DS, DS UL, Widow x2, FC (signed) x4, Prism 4D, Prism 3D, Desire SUL x3, FC2, Premier Addiction (test flight kite for curious onlookers)  - not in the bag (for various reasons): Benson DS, Prism Stack, Widow, FC
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:09 PM »

I think the Muse will take him far into kiting. You can get a better starter kite.
Also, most people dont recommend this, but I sometimes do. The skyburner Freestylist is a great option as well.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
KiteFace
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:40 AM »

Thanks so much for all your help guys. I will definitely take all of this into consideration.
 I spoke to "my mate" Scott recently about it and he seemed most concerned about keeping it cheap and durable. It is more me that is concerned about it's trickability because I don't want him to get bored with it. I think I'm still of the opinion that the hypnotist will be best for him. He said he would probably mostly fly it at the beach so the wind range shouldn't be too much off a problem for him. ( I can't see him following me out to fly at some inland oval with low and variable wind) Now I just have to show him a couple of kites and see what he thinks.

Thanks again everyone. much appreciated.
Peace,
Petey.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 08:49 AM »

If cost is a concern for the price of a Hypnotist, or less, there are many more trickable kites available. Take a look at Premier or Flying Wings kites for starters. Also, like I mentioned before, if there is a Eolo dealer in your area, the Over is similarly priced and night and day more capable than a Hypnotists.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
KiteFace
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:32 PM »

Thanks, Dolphin boy.
We only have one dealer in Australia who stocks Eolo and Premier kites and the only Eolo they have in stock is 1 Neox. They stock a lot of Premier kites but are quite pricey. I could pick up an r-sky WAO for $70 au. which comes with lines. It is only 1.5 meters wide though. Has anyone flown this kite? would it make a good first kite?
I could get a Flying Wings SF 2.3 for around the same price as the Hypnotist $220 au. This seems like a more trickable kite. Will it withstand the unplanned landings of a newbie?

A little question off the side: I bought an Eolo Neox recently and the leech line had to be tensioned on each wing independently (the leech line was fixed at the spine) I assumed this was a manufacturing error (I had this problem with my Zephyr which Prism took care of for me) but the dealer told me that it was supposed to be like that and that is how Eolo make their kites. They wouldn't refund the kite even though I hadn't flown it, so I traded it in for store credit and got a Box of Tricks.

Should the leech line be like this or were they just trying to screw me?

I know this is a lot of questions. (sorry)
Peace,
Petey.
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11 PM »

It depends on the kite.  Some kites are as you described, with each leech line being adjusted at the wintip.  The adjustment at the spine is less common (at least in my experience).   Although I've never seen a Neox, I have a feeling that the store owner was right. 

Steady winds, y'all.
Dolphinboy

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:24 PM »

I believe the Neox needs to have each wing tensioned independently. Many kites are made with the leach line fixed at the spine. The Neox is a well made very trickable kite. I had one for a year or so.

SF vs Hypnotist, if it were my decision there would be no contest, Silver Fox. I don't know if it's as sturdy as a Hypno but it's vastly more fun.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum