GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 10:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless SUL vs. SD SUL  (Read 3200 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« on: October 12, 2009, 06:20 AM »

Fearless - SUL. Someone told me this is the ultimate SUL. Never flown one before but of all the SULs I have flown they are usually fragile and have a tough time cutting through the air with any consistency even the SD-SUL. The wind range on this kite is listed 0-10 mph. I purchased a custom color in MANGO with red eyes. I am happy with the Sea Devils but felt an upgrade to the Fearless SUL was necessary. For the rare flyer who has flown them BOTH how do you compare the SD-SUL with the Fearless-SUL. THe word on the street "so to speak" is that there is a big difference. Either way I am commited to this purchase and its IN-PROGRESS.

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47 AM »

I would think that any SUL would be framed with something like 2PT sticks and it's not going to have a lot of mass to trick. I have a Nirvana SUL and it's a different flying experience because it needs to be coaxed and not snapped (made that mistake once).

If you have the SD SUL than I don't imagine that the Fearless SUL is going to be a huge difference. I have a Fearless std that I love  but I don't think the SUL would have the same built-in tricks if the framing is 2PT.

In any case, you can't go wrong just by owning another Fearless.Lam makes nice kitesw!

Bob D.
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:19 AM »

One thing I have done with my SD-SUL is I have 2PT and 3PT lower spreaders. This may give me the advantage I need to snap rather than coax (I here you - excellent choice of words Bob) in the lower winds. Its just a question at what mph will the LS 3PTs not work?

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17 AM »

I imagine that you will be very happy with your Fearless SUL - trickiest SUL that I've ever tried.  You can do everything on it that the Std does - including fast one-pop yoyos, sweet JLs, multi-lazys, insanes, all in very low wind and in basically the same style/inputs as the light and standard (just a little slower).  There is little adjustment in moving to the SUL (unlike many other kites) - everything that the FL does so well is all there.

Many tricks are actually easier on the SUL since you are flying in little wind and can go a bit slower - its a great teacher.

I also have 2pt and 3pt lower spreaders for it, but only use the 2pt so far.

6 kite tom
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:03 PM »

Thanks TPATTER. I did correspond with Lam directly but as you know his English is not very good and he just suggested I look at his promotional videos. I guess the main question we all have is what is the main difference in tricking between the SD & Fearless. We read about easier multi-lazies and reverse insanes. As most people seems to indicate is this really worth $450 or so ... however its just a feeling as you indicate this Fearless SUL in the low wind range will take me to a new level from his SD. I believe it will. I did talk to another Master pilot recently and he mentioned to me since Lam is only  5' 10" or so (small frame pilot) he makes his kites requiring very little input which to me at my age (55 years old) really suits my flying style since small inputs = small effort in slapping around a stunt kite as I have enough problems with moving the feet constantly. There is also the truth that one has to allow a year or so to learn a stunt kite inside/out as many pilots out there that like large inputs may find a SD or Fearless not to their liking. If you want something TPATTER to relate to lets talk about the Jacobs Ladder. I start this trick with a backflip, then the 180* Lazy Susan ... then the key move the reverse flip to the FADE. Most SULs I have flown show resistance to this move and almost require some footwork forward to COAX the kite to the FADE due to wind resistance and the frame of the kite and then the easy lateral roll out to complete the trick. With your experience on the Fearless SUL - is the move to the FADE a coax or a snap with the Fearless SUL?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:01 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 12:24 PM »

I no longer have my SD SUL, no comparison in my opinion.  Cool

"Do what you like"
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 01:39 PM »

is the move to the FADE a coax or a snap with the Fearless SUL?

You can do it either way - fast or slow, no coaxing required.

The kite really excels at the JL and other combo-based tricks. Hard to describe - you just have to try it.  You might have trouble wanting to move back to your other kites once you get used to this one - I sure did.

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 05:25 PM »

snip..

"I did talk to another Master pilot recently and he mentioned to me since Lam is only  5' 10' or so ..." snip.

Only in an alternate dimension where Inches are very short.

Wink
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:00 PM »

snip..

"I did talk to another Master pilot recently and he mentioned to me since Lam is only  5' 10' or so ..." snip.

Only in an alternate dimension where Inches are very short.

Wink

He's that tall?

"Do what you like"
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 06:03 PM »

Corrected - Mr. Overpeck  Wink

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 10:15 PM »

I have flown the Fearless SUL & the Sea devil SUL side by side in very light winds. Although there is a resemblance they are very different.

The Sea Devil SUL has more drive in lower winds and is easier to keep powered up especially for people who are not used to SUL winds. It's floatier too. At first one may think that it's a superior SUL. But....

The Fearless SUL, while still having a SUL feel, will perform more like the standard when it comes to tricking. You will have to move a bit more and be aware that the kite pitches easily, especially in light winds. But if you want a SUL that will Backspin, multi Lazy, Taz, Wap do Wap, Comete etc. and just about any other trick you can think of you'll be a happy Fearless SUL owner.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:25 AM »

Dolphinboy -This seems to be the information I am getting on the Fearless SUL ... as you move away from the SUL the differences are smaller in the other classes (i.e., UL, Light, Standard & Mid-Vent). Either way my pocketbook will keep me with the SDs. To be honest I was never really happy with the floaty nature of the SD-SUL ... your comments have pretty much confirmed my current investment is a good one.

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56 PM »

You will love the Fearless SUL. The price seems crazy high but once I got mine I've never ever regretted spending the money.

I am still saving up for a standard to go along with my sul but funds have been tight lately so it'll have to wait a bit longer.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Kantaxel

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 02:18 AM »

So........forgive me if I'm a little late on the uptake.......Are you guys talking the SUL or the Tattoo?  I've flown both ours with 2 and 3pt spreaders and there is little difference between the two except the Tattoo goes lower with less work.............

Tom's right about trying to fly other kites after the Fearless...........you get so spoiled so quickly Angry

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 04:24 AM »

There's a difference between the tatoo and the SUL other than cosmetic ? How would you compare either the SD SUL or the FL SUL to the Exile UL ? I've been having a great time with my Exile UL, but am considering another Lam kite, one for lighter winds than my SD std. I know of at least one person that sold an Exile UL in favor of a FL, what does the FL do that the Exile wouldn't ?
~Rob.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography