GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 04:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-building Scholz design - Luna ?  (Read 3597 times)
Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: October 13, 2009, 04:19 AM »

Hi all !

Iīve happened to buy a kite-sail. Itīs just the sail, and I thought it could be a fun little project, to restore it to former glory. It is a Joel K. Scholz design, and it looks a lot like a Luna. Apparantly made for "Go fly a Kite" in China. Iīve tried googling it, and searching numerous forums, to get some data on it. But haveīnt had much luck this far.

As it is just the sail, Iīm looking for all other data, framing, bridle and so on. Maybe some of you know this kite, maybe even have one, and could help me getting the data needed to rebuild it. Or maybe you can point me in a direction, where I could obtain these data.

Thanks

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43 AM »

Corey Jensen of Windpower Sports has an original JS Luna Moth. You can google his shop. Corey can talk a long time about anything.

Allen Carter (of this Forum) reframed my GFAK version. He dubbed it the Frankenmoth:

The original JS version is pretty much a UL, so you might want to consider a frame in the 3PT range of spars, if you were to update it. It's a beauty.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Blownfuse

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51 AM »

Well, thank you Mr chilese ! That was some pretty good leads, that I will pursue.  Smiley

I know zip about this kite, sort of "spur of the moment"-buy, because I thought it could be a fun to restore a kite. Any info on the kite is still appreciated, including storys, experiences and oppinions about itīs qualities, or maybe lack of...

Edit : Aha ! Googling Luna Moth, instead of just Luna, sure does shed a bit more light over this one.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:55 AM by Blownfuse » Logged

kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:53 AM »

you could also check Joel K. Scholz's site
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:01 PM »

Yeah, but don't believe the wind range on that page.  Huh

Quite old school with short standoffs. Very nice spin tricks.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07 PM »

The GFAK version was framed in cheap 6MM carbon. Too bendy. The original Std. weight kite was in Avia .2400. Fairly heavy. The UL version was done in a number of different frames, the one I flew was in 3Ps. Very nice.

I framed John's in P200s. Very durable, stiffer than stock and lighter too. Very nice wind range. I probably wouldn't spend the extra on tapered tubes for the Moth. This is a old school kite (nearly Olde School) so don't expect a lot of tricks.

I'd like to find an original some day.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Blownfuse

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:13 PM »

kitenoob -> Thatīs done. Nice with some more info, but still lacking dimensions (lenghts) of frame and bridle.

Iīm getting quite excited about this little project. I initially thought it was an old, not to hot, kite, but it really was something in its day, wasīnt it. And now instead of being a fun project and a little curiosity in my kitebag, in might end up as something pretty cool to have. When I bought the sail, I must admit I found the layout and colours butt-ugly. But seing the pics Chilese posted (shows the kite from the other site), I actually think itīs kind of pretty.

Turning out to be a great impulse-buy.
 Cheesy

kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:18 PM »

Dimensions: 90-3/4"W X 40-1/2"H
with those dimensions you can probably get a ballpark on the frame, it's probably all full length 32.5" spars
Blownfuse

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 12:28 PM »

I framed John's in P200s. Very durable, stiffer than stock and lighter too. Very nice wind range. I probably wouldn't spend the extra on tapered tubes for the Moth. This is a old school kite (nearly Olde School) so don't expect a lot of tricks.

Thanks for that info, this is great. But gotta ask : You donīt happen to have some exact lengths of all the different frameparts, and some suggestions for a bridle ? Hmm... I have tendency to get carried away with projects... Wonder what P2Xīes would do for a Luna Moth...
 Roll Eyes

The last hour, I have been following some leads, and been sending some emails out. Maybe some off them will pay off. Thanks to you guys, who have allready helped my project along. Ad still wanting further inputs, of any kind.

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:29 PM »

I have an orginal JS Luna moth and 2 GFAK remakes.

Hope this info helps

Kite    WINGS    Materials   SPINE     Material     LWR SPRD    Material      UPPER SPRDR   Material       

Luna   60.0           Bea CL16     39      Bea CL16      30.5       Bea CL16       21.5            Bea CL16      

STANDOFF    Material

8.0/10.0   3/32 GRH

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:34 PM »

Hey,

Your sail doesn't have any black accent lines on the wings or the butt of the keel of the bug!'

Is that a prototype?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:45 PM by chilese » Logged

kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 07:02 PM »

Good eye John!!

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:48 PM »

I sort of see stripes now that I look at it.

Could it just be we are seeing the back of the kite?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:44 AM by chilese » Logged

Blownfuse

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 12:17 AM »

Hey,

Your sail doesn't have any black accent lines on the wings or the butt of the keel of the bug!'

Is that a prototype?
I sort of see stripes now that I look at it.

Could it just be we are seeing the back of the kite?

Yes, as I said, I really didīnt like the look of the sail I have obtained. But when I saw Johnīs pics, I looked a bit closer on the pics of my sail, and noticed the lines/stripes/seams, which John has also noticed. That has let me to believe, that the pic are of the backside of the sail. But time will tell, gentlemen, as the sail is in the hands of the UK and DK postal service, as we speak.

And thanks a lot for the info, kiteking, much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:45 AM by chilese » Logged

Blownfuse

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:52 AM »

Sail arrived today.

After a quick inspection, it turns out to be in absolute mint condition, just missing a frame and bridle. I would almost say, that it looks like it has never been flown. How it then can become separated from the frame and bridle, I canīt figure out. There are nothing on the sail indicating neither flying nor crashing.
 Grin

I still lack info on the bridle. The obviously greatest answer to all my questions, would offcourse be a contact of sorts, with the man himself, Joel Scholz. I have followed some leads and trawled the web, but not great luck on that.
 Sad

If anybody know anything about the Luna Moth, or know anybody who know somebody who had an uncle who worked with a guy that had a nephew who had a Luna Moth, then please chime in. I really want to put this kite back in the sky again.

Any info, stories, hints and tips will be most appreciated. Somebody must know something, the Scholz Luna Moth wasīnt exactly a cr*ppy kite, back in itīs day.
 Wink

Ps. Will take some snapshots of the sail later.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document