GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BMK Mojo  (Read 1256 times)
soxrus
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 13, 2009, 03:07 PM »

Let me start with an intro ...... have been involved with kites years ago (10 plus) and just now getting around to returning to something I always loved.

Family and occupations have a way of keeping us from our "hobbies" sometime, as I'm sure you all understand !?!?

I have a BMK that I bought years ago ..... a Mojo (high 40's or low 50's is the kite number) I love the kite and was getting semi-proficient at entry level stunts before "life got in the way" ....

My question is ..... the Mojo seems to have been replaced in the BMK line ...... am I correct that the Mantis is the "new and improved" (if possible) version of the Mojo Huh

Anyone with experience with both models ...... comparisons Huh?

Be Safe all, Jimmy
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25 PM »

KEEP THE MOJO!!!
its an awesome kite. I totally regret selling mine.
It still has a good name for being a solid kite.

The mantis is a great kite, yes. Personally I like the Muse more, and then the exile, and my favorite is the Mamba (nitro) Standard.
If you're considering getting another kite, any one from the BMK line is a great investment.
The mantis, accoring to most flyers, has a great balence between tricks and precision. which is awesome. You'd be happy with anything (again, im assuming this thread means that youre looking into a BMK mantis)

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:31 PM »

Both are really awesome kites. Grin  In fact, the Muse is a Mantis design, but built on a single panel layout instead of the multi-panel layout of the Mantis. Hence, the price of the Muse is less than the parent design. Grin  

While the Mantis comes in UL, Standard and Vented, the Muse comes in only the Standard version.  

However, and this is not intended to muddy the waters, both the Muse Std. and the Mantis Std., come in Nitro versions which are
 more friendly to winds up to 15 mph.

Both the Muse and Mantis are capable of old style and new style tricks.  They are large kites and not as fast as some of the more popular tricksters.
If you fly these two kites side by side, it is diffecult to tell one from the other.

Gardner
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:35 AM by Gardner » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:17 PM »

The Mojo is one of the very few sport kites to have a "broadseamed" sail. In other words, the 2 sail halves each have a scooped shape. The sail without spars, would not lay flat on a table, whereas most sport kite sails would lay flat without spars.

This broadseaming allows the kite to fly in relatively low wind compared to a flat sail. However, this same feature is a bit of a hindrance when doing many of the "modern" tricks as the kite wants to start flying sooner as it catches the wind.

The aspect ratio of the kite is lower than many modern kites. The Mojo is the offspring of the Aerie AirF/X, another kite made by Ken McNeill when his company was Aerie Kiteworks. The Mojo is one of the best pure flying sport kites and will do spin based tricks very well.

I am biased on this. The Mojo should have sold better, but came at a time when the high end market for sport kites dictated a flippier, more pitch oriented type of kite.

If you have a really low numbered Mojo, then both the wingtips and the center panels are all curved as shown below:
Clickable™ Link

Yo

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
stapp59
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:33 PM »

As John said, the Mojo is a fine flying "old school" kite based on the AirFX.  Certainly a great kite to keep in your bag though not capable of the newer pitch/roll-up tricks.

The Mamba came next and is more similar to the Mojo than the Mantis or Exile. The Mamba is not broad-seamed, has two standoffs, is full sized, and like the Mojo is very enjoyable to fly.  The Mamba is a bit more trick friendly though an older design with an aspect ratio similar to the Mojo.

The Mantis came next and is a more modern design capable of many current tricks and moves.  The Mantis is my choice for a ballet competition kite.

The Muse is based on the Mantis and two are very close in handling.

The Exile is the latest of the bunch being a little smaller and edgier than the Mantis capable of many more tricks than I can do.  Most would consider the Exile a modern design though not a French style kite.

Not sure that helps, but my take on it anyway.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:43 PM by stapp59 » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27 PM »

Hey!

I know that kite!

Wink
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53 PM »

It's now residing with my son in California Jim.

When he asked for me to send him a nice flying kite, I sent him the best one I had.  Cool

You're one of the good guys Mr. B.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
soxrus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 05:27 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys ..... my Mojo is an early model as you describe (Red White and Blue #40 built in '00) !!

Also have a Mamba in same colors #52 built in '02 !!

Bought both kites from the same guy in Texas I believe Huh

I look forward to all your input  ...... I'm about back to where I was when I quit several years ago ..... forgot how much fun it REALLY is !!!!

Tricks to learn ..........

Be safe all, Jimmy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:51 PM by soxrus » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document