GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fighter Kites  (Read 3081 times)
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: January 21, 2010, 03:43 PM »

Has anybody had recent experience ordering fighter kites from One World trading?

Thanks!
Grant L
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:43 PM »

I have within the last year or so. Always happy with there service and product. Great deal on the Fusion fighters and Bukas  Smiley
tonycarl60

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28 PM »

Thanks a lot Grant!
kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:46 PM »

I, too, have had had good results from my fighter kite supply orders there.   Wink
tonycarl60

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:09 AM »

Nice to know,  kiteguy, thanks!
tonycarl60

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:51 AM »

I just got my order of fighter kites from One World Trading (16 assorted) and am very pleased with the products and service. Now all I have to do is make 16 bridles.  I really appreciate all the videos and info that Bruce Lambert has made available, it helps a lot. 
normofthenorth

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:15 PM »

I've placed maybe 3 orders there, all filled properly and promptly. And Bruce's online tips and his book on CD and his website are the best source of info.

Norm in Toronto
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:06 PM »

If anybody is interested in Bruce's 'North American Fighter Kites' book it is available for free download at KPB (although it isn't Bruce's alone but contributed to by many of the top fighter kite flyers at the time). You can also get 'Cerf Volants Traditionnels de Combat' if you read french, although it is not in the same league there are some traditional plans from all over the world you may find interesting.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:17 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
normofthenorth

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:45 AM »

That 'North American Fighter Kites' book is a fascinating source of older information, but it's not the book I was recommending.

The one I was recommending is Bruce Lambert's newer book on CD, which is still available online for $20 from the Drachen Foundation's website. Of course, there's a lot of overlap with the info and plans that Bruce (and others) provide at fighterkitecentral , but the CD puts it all in one place, even when you're not online.

Norm in Toronto
tonycarl60

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41 AM »

I got a chance to fly some of the One World Trading fighters that I ordered and I think they fly great, what a rush! I don't understand why fighter kites aren't more popular, they have a wide wind range, they're inexpensive, are interactive and a challenge to fly. When it's too windy to fly dual line stuff, break out a fighter kite. it's too bad there seems to be such a small market for fighter kites. I'd like to see more commercially made rip-stop nylon/carbonfibre or orcon fighters and maybe even a large one (diamond kite size) for low wind with battens that extend down past the trailing edge to act as legs for easier launches.   
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41 PM »

Bob (alcrobo here) has gotten the bug for fighters, I broke out some of my old designs last weekend and let him have a go. I guess he'd never seen one and was thinking there was a lot of science involved from reading different sites. I showed him there wasn't really, that those kites I designed and built the night before the contests up at WSIKF. So he spent Saturday building 4 based off the FF4 and brought them out for our first of the month fly Sunday. We had a bit of fun playing around with them but the winds were a bit under non-existent so we didn't get a lot of time, during the few times it came up they were pretty sweet flying kites and like anything Bob builds nicely executed. I really have to get my butt in gear, have a couple nice plans (I think) drawn out just waiting for me to get into the workshop.

I agree, with the attention single line controllables like the Skate & Aerobe have gotten lately it seems fighters would be poised to become popular. And you can't beat the price, 10 for $10 from One World Trading, price per smile you won't find a better deal anywhere. The tissue ones are pretty fragile but they have a good selection of Mylar designs and the Fusion Fighters designed by Bruce Lambert are based off the newest designs popular here in North America along with the Buka for just a bit more. Or build them yourself, easy to build in an evening, designs available on line from indoor to high wind all using available materials. Believe me you don't need Orcon or Icarex to build a functional & fun Fighter, Mylar, Clearthane, even tissue paper, available in the wrapping paper dept at the dollar store makes fine Fighters.

I've always gotten bored flying them alone but if you can find somebody to play line touch with your set to have hours of fun & laughs.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change