GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Shop in D.C?  (Read 1355 times)
Deltasteve
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 15, 2009, 08:22 PM »

Sorry folks...wasn't sure where to post this exactly: 

I'm going to be in downtown D.C. for the next three days and was wondering if there is a kite shop in the area?   Many years ago there was one right in Georgetown but I'm pretty sure that is long gone...was a very good shop though.

Any thoughts?

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:10 AM »

I know there are kites forsale in the airal museum or whatever, but i dont remember any like, legit kite shops. The last time I went was in 8th grade, its been while hahaha. (5, 6 years?)

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:11 AM »

also most of the kites there were like, new tech stuff. I remember a lot of Cherry Bombs and Technos. I think I saw a decent amout of Prism too

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Deltasteve

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 03:52 AM »

Thanks guys...I'll check it out.

I wonder what happened to the kite shop in Georgetown?   I think I first stumbled across it in the late seventies or early eighties.  I may have been called Go Fly a Kite and I remember they also had a lot of kite building materials.

Thanks again.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:56 AM »

a good resource:
http://www.gombergkites.com/dir.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
STACKflyer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 11:02 AM »

there has not been an actual kite shop in DC since the early 90s.  The only real place to get them is at the NASM.

CaptainWOW
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11 AM »

I'm going to be in downtown D.C. for the next three days and was wondering if there is a kite shop in the area?   Many years ago there was one right in Georgetown but I'm pretty sure that is long gone...was a very good shop though.

That shop was called The Kite Site and it closed many years ago. Pity...

http://www.drachen.org/journals/a11/Storeasclubhouse.pdf
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:01 AM by CaptainWOW » Logged
mcruzzer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 02:37 PM »

The Air and Space Museum on the Mall does sell some stuff...mostly single line lower end things.  They used to carry VERY low end dual-line stuff but not sure what they have currently.

Although not downtown, there is a shop in the VA suburbs...

Jim
Deltasteve

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 03:49 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  It rained the entire weekend in DC so there was no kite flying done at all on the Mall.  Pity.

Also, I did visit the gift shop at the Air and Space Museum but there wasn't one kite in sight nor anything kite related.   I asked a clerk about it and was told everything had been put away for the winter.   I could be wrong, but I don't remember the kite stuff being a seasonal item...but I guess it is now.

Thanks,
Steve
mcruzzer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:43 AM »

Steve,

Yeah, Saturday was the pits as far as weather goes...it is not usually that cold AND rainy here in DC in October.  You shoulda been here yesterday! lol Cheesy Grin

Most of the kiters in DC fly year round, so next time you're coming out give a shout and we'll plan to hook  up with you somewhere!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document