GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 12:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cape Fear Kite Festival, Nov. 7-8th Wrightsville Beach, NC  (Read 2993 times)
Focus Kite Designs
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 16, 2009, 07:43 AM »

Date: Nov. 7th & 8th

Come join us for one of the best kite events on the east coast, the Cape Fear Kite Festival. Only in its 4th year, word of this event spread quick and now it attracts kite fliers from all over the country. The event has a very relaxed, fun fly atmosphere that is welcoming to all. In past years there has been a great showing of large single line kites, Revs, and dual like kites. Be sure to make the banquet and auction Saturday night and we are working on a indoor fly Friday night.

Last year we had PERFECT weather and wind. Donít miss out this year!

Main attractions this year are:

-David Gomberg from Gomberg Kite Productions
-John Barresi from Kitelife.com, iquad, and Revolution Kite
-Rev. Clinic on Friday by John Barresi. First time in NC!!!
-Going for a record number of giant Octopus flying at one time.
-Kurt Lisk with Windfeathers and his two 35 banner sets.
-Free kids kite making.
-Banquet and auction Saturday night
-Possible indoor fly Friday night.
-Manufacture reps

Donít miss the fun on Nov. 6-8th 2009. Main event is the 7th and 8th with a informal fly day on Friday and John Barresi will be doing a Rev clinic Friday from 10 to 4. This is his first clinic in this area. Don't miss it!

For more information and registration visit:
www.capefearkitefestival.com
jsking

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06 PM »

Joyce and I will be there! Wouldn't miss this stellar kiters' party!

Jeff
Focus Kite Designs

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:35 PM »

Great!  We having some Rev games?

Hunter
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:35 AM »

Has anyone managed to successfully register through the capefearkitefestival.com website?  Every time I try, I get a 500 - Server Error.
kmac
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31 AM »

I was able to register just now.
jsking

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:30 PM »

Great!  We having some Rev games?

Hunter

We haven't made any formal plans to. I may still be just a bit gimpy. We might do something impromptu just for fun, though. Game time call, I suppose.

Jeff
Atlanta3

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18 PM »

Just finished making hotel reservation and  rev clinic reservation for son Keith.  Anxiously waiting to see everyone in 2 weeks.

Ruth
Atlanta, GA
Shamrocky

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57 PM »

Hi,

We were there in 2007.  Hope to get some nice flying with warm weather.  We froze our butts of  in Rochester.   Would like to do some chilling and nice SL flying.   

BTW  The web site did take our registration info.   

Has anyone see info about a dinner on Sat. Night?   They had a great one 2 years ago.

Jackie & Dick Maciel
Franklin, Massachusetts.
fworley
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57 AM »

The Shell Island is a cheesy operation ... the Cape Fear rate is $109 a night ... and look what
I get in the mail today ... November rate at the Shell Island is $99 ! But you can't get that lower rate if you already have a reservation ... oh no.

So, if you've not booked yet - make sure you get the cheaper $99 rate.

-Frazer
scott_of_melnsct

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:26 AM »

Frazer,
that flyer says the rate is for repeat guests.  If you are a repeat guest, you have plenty of time to cancel your res without losing any money.  Then, call make and make a new res for the same room at the lower rate.

Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
fworley
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34 AM »

Frazer,
that flyer says the rate is for repeat guests. 

Right ... thats why I was emailed the flyer.

Given the festival has been there for a few years now the Shell Island Resort could have offered
this cheaper rate to the attendees in the knowledge than very many of them would be repeat
guests having visited in years past.

If you are a repeat guest, you have plenty of time to cancel your res without losing any money.  Then, call make and make a new res for the same room at the lower rate.

But the email also states:

"*Not valid with current reservations,subject to availability , blackout dates may apply*"

Cut it however you like ... I stand by my statement ... they are a cheesy (shady) operation.

-Frazer
kmac
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:04 PM »

If we're not staying at the resort, where is the best place to park?
fworley
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 01:11 PM »

If we're not staying at the resort, where is the best place to park?
There is a parking lot next to the resort. But, it only has about 15 spots and its full normally
by 10am. If you get there late - or its full - the best policy is to sit and wait for someone to
leave ... usually the surfers head out between 9.30-10am.

Failing that ... there is another parking lot half a mile or so South ... its much bigger and you
should have no trouble parking there.

Parking runs about $10 for the day ... don't cheat it ... the meter maids will get ya !

Oh ... and don't speed on the island ... I see ppl busted all the time for that.

-Frazer
gwarren
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 05:35 AM »

The good news about parking is that the meters are not required after Oct. 31.  This is taken from the town's website:
. When are the meters enforced?
Answer: Meters are monitored from 9am to 6pm everyday from March 1st to October 31st.

One year, someone ran shuttle from the lower parking lot.  Haven't heard if it will be running this year yet?

glen
Focus Kite Designs

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 11:43 AM »

Sorry for the issues with the hotel guys.  We try and get things worked out with them but it is tough.  Looking foward to seeing everyone this weekend!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document