GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 05:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Premier Kite Overview  (Read 2580 times)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« on: October 17, 2009, 05:20 AM »

I stumbled across this make and see the kites are designed by Jon Trennepohl.  Is there any connection to Sky Burner kites or are the kite designs licensed to Premier?  Is there any conversion to identify which kite corresponds to a Sky Burner model?  Are they any good?

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:25 AM »

as it is to my understanding, Jon Makes them and premier manufactures them. ??
Premier makes a lot of "fun" stuff- like windsocks, banners, Singleline stuff, etc. They make sportkites too, though.

My fav premier kites that have been out there are the Widow, Nighthawk (this little kite is a BLAST), Magnum, Addiction, and the Sidewinder.
The build quality is decent. If you were picking between skyburner and premier, I'd go with Skyburner.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:35 AM »

Jon designs them and Premier builds them. The Widow is an economy version of the Widow Maker. I don't know that any other of the Premier kites have a Sky Burner counterpart. But since Jon designs both Sky Burner & Premier kites there is a connection.
I've flown the Widow and the Wolf. The build quality is good. And they fly rather well. IMO worth the cost of admission.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:20 AM »

I enjoy my Sidewinder... it takes the curved leading edge design to the extreme. It spins and stalls like nothing else. It also seems well built.

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 12:59 PM »

I don't know that any other of the Premier kites have a Sky Burner counterpart.
Denny

No longer in production I don't think, but...
Premier Profile & Skyburner Profile SE

Premier makes the Pointer kite (132" x 42") attributed to  Ceewan from Malaysia.  Skyburner's version, the Geo Pointer, is huge at 20 ft tall and 7 ft at the top.

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:24 AM »

The Trick & Track is also produced by both Skyburner & Premier.

Jon's done a lot of kites for Premier, all have been pretty good kites and recieved a pretty good following. A plus to them is that you can call Jon directly and recieve some personal help and maybe a bridle mod or two for your own flying style since he's pretty familiar with them. They really are designed by him, it's not just his name tacked onto something out of China.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
nosedive

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03 AM »

Hi guys, joined in July, but just coming over here because Kitelife is very ....well...."in-active"  Roll Eyes

Anyhow ...slight correction, The Trick and Track is made by Premier, it is Premiers version of Skyburner's T&T Competition.  The T&T Comp is not made anymore, but the Trick & Track is.  The Premier version is Jon's design as are most of Premiers dual line sport kites.   The Widow, Wolf, and Jewel (spider series) are basically scaled down versions of the Skyburner Widow Maker, w/ the Widow being the Premier version.  All great kites.

Jon not only designs these but also has had a bunch of hands-on visits and experience with Premiers manufacturing facility in China, so what they make is approved and directed (when he can) by Jon  Wink

He lives down the street from me, ....as his shop is as well.....I shoot the breeze with him (no pun) all the time!  See my other INTRODUCTION post ....cool stuff, and....a great, great guy, as is his wife Marieanne! GOOD PEOPLE!! Smiley

Jeff
Vents?! I don't need no stinkin' vents! Cheesy
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:23 PM »

Anyhow ...slight correction, The Trick and Track is made by Premier, it is Premiers version of Skyburner's T&T Competition.  The T&T Comp is not made anymore, but the Trick & Track is. 

Interesting, if you click Jon's ad on the right the T&T (for Trick & Track as it was originally called) Comp is right there. Not in "Production" anymore but available anytime you want one I believe. Been a Skyburner fan since the very early 1990's

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
nosedive

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:40 AM »

Anyhow ...slight correction, The Trick and Track is made by Premier, it is Premiers version of Skyburner's T&T Competition.  The T&T Comp is not made anymore, but the Trick & Track is. 

Interesting, if you click Jon's ad on the right the T&T (for Trick & Track as it was originally called) Comp is right there. Not in "Production" anymore but available anytime you want one I believe. Been a Skyburner fan since the very early 1990's
Hi Mike, I meant no disrespect by posting that, honest  Embarrassed  I'm sure you  know WAYYYYY more than me about Skyburner!

However, I know this because my brother in law wanted/ was considering having a T&T Comp made for him and he was told they're not making them.  Now, ...that COULD be because he was thinking of doing a 'custom sail' ....not sure.   Jon himself said he needed to do some updating to their site not too long ago.   So, now that I think about it...I'm not sure what's going on! Cheesy

Jeff
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12 PM »

The Skyburner site is often outdated, if Jon says no I guess it's no. It is a pretty dated design at this point, well over 10 years I'm sure, think I saw it around 1995-96 the first time when it was oficially call the Trick n Track. Still a nice kite, just limited to old-old school tricks.

Never took anything the wrong way, just knew I had seen it still listed very recently, I click over there pretty regular to see if there's been any updates. Like I said I've been a fan for years, at last count I had 18 Skyburners &/or Jon T design Premiers  Smiley
and I wouldn't doubt I've missed a couple - no doubt I will be adding more, been wanting to try out the Jewel to see if it's as much of a blast as the Wolf.

Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 02:09 PM »

Didn't Air Rex use the T&T Comp for the 2008 championships?  Did they stop using this kite?  It would seem like a good idea to continue making the T&T if one of the top teams is using and winning with it.  Since Skyburner is now a sponsor of the website maybe Jon will be able to clarify changes to his line.
nosedive

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 04:17 AM »

The Skyburner site is often outdated, if Jon says no I guess it's no. It is a pretty dated design at this point, well over 10 years I'm sure, think I saw it around 1995-96 the first time when it was oficially call the Trick n Track. Still a nice kite, just limited to old-old school tricks.

Yes. And again, my brother in law was looking at a custom sail too, so maybe that was the reason it was a 'no'.  Best thing to do is ask....I'm swinging by the shop today after work to pick up some spectra for "quick release" hoops, ..so I'll ask!

Never took anything the wrong way, just knew I had seen it still listed very recently, I click over there pretty regular to see if there's been any updates. Like I said I've been a fan for years, at last count I had 18 Skyburners &/or Jon T design Premiers  Smiley
and I wouldn't doubt I've missed a couple - no doubt I will be adding more, been wanting to try out the Jewel to see if it's as much of a blast as the Wolf.
Good! Glad you took it the right way Wink.  Sounds like a great collection Mike!!  And, yes, the Jewel is amazingly fast...pure hot-rod!!!  My brother in laws first kite, and my first experience w/ a dual line just last year July....lot's of fun!!

Jeff
nosedive

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20 AM »

Didn't Air Rex use the T&T Comp for the 2008 championships?  Did they stop using this kite?  It would seem like a good idea to continue making the T&T if one of the top teams is using and winning with it.  Since Skyburner is now a sponsor of the website maybe Jon will be able to clarify changes to his line.

Yes they did, and I'm not sure if they stopped using it.  Again, maybe I've mispoken. I'm not sure they stopped it completely. I'm sure if Air Rex or any other team wanted some T&Ts for competition, they'd to them.  I just remember my brother in law inquiring about doing a custom sail T&T and they said they'd rather not. So maybe that was it, again, I'll be in the shop today, and I'll ask. Cool

Jeff
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 05:09 AM »

if they stopped making it odds are it'll be off that site. Just like the Wahoo.  Sad

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
nosedive

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 07:06 AM »

if they stopped making it odds are it'll be off that site. Just like the Wahoo.  Sad

Not necessarily, .... Jon's admitted several times his site needs major updates for product ......

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum