GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 04:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Line Sets  (Read 4003 times)
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 04:42 AM »

Thanks all! Good info. I think I have a good idea on how to proceed.

AnOldMan nailed it! I am still on my 1st kite with plans on getting a Silver Fox 2.3UL for my 2nd kite. Maybe in a year or two something from the BMK Mantis line. Grin.

If the SF 2.3UL comes with lines, I think I will make my current set the same length as those. You know, to help with the muscle memory thing.

Again - Thanks all! Smiley

Happy flying

Tait
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50 PM »

Hi Tait,    The lines i flew your kite on were LPG #90 x 80 ft. I would not recommend you use lighter as you might break them , but you could get a set of 150 lb for stronger winds around 20 kph upwards. It is getting colder and rainier these days, and i am not flying as often now ,but as soon as the Exile UL arrives i definitely will go out to the park whatever the weather. I have #50, 90 and 150 line sets that you are welcome to try out if you are in my
area. As you already know, just give me a call. Cool.     
                                                                 Tempest.
hedgewarden

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 05:35 PM »

I have Silver Foxes 2.5 UL, Std, and Vented.  They did not come with line sets.  I use 90# and 150# 80' or currently 100' line sets most of the time.  The choice is based on the wind strength.  I cannot think of any situation where a 50# line set would be appropriate for a Silver Fox 2.5 - they are great kites but they are heavy.  You may extrapolate to the 2.3 as you feel appropriate, but the size difference is not as significant as 90# to 50# IMO.

The SF's are fairly slow kites, so 100' lines would give much the same 'large window' effect as, say (guessing), 120' on most full size kites.

I would recommend 80# - 100# and 75' to 100' as the primary line set on the UL.  Once you are used to that, you can experiment.

Most of my full size (8') kites came with 150# 80' Dyneema line sets.  Smaller (6' - 7') kites with 80# to 100# 80' Dyneema.  Yes, medium quality kites come with medium quality line sets.  High quality kites usually come without any line sets (there may be a few exceptions.)

Hope that helps... it really is verifying what the more experienced posters said.

-Fair winds
Howard

- Howard

No, this is my FIRST childhood.
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 06:49 PM »

I had been flying my SF 2.5UL (courtesy of Tempest) and my Soul on 90# 75' lines and felt that they were way too short. I did use the 50# lines I had with my HQ Bebop on the SF and it felt like it was going to shred them in no time.
I just used a set of 150# 100' Prism lines on both the Soul and the SF today and they felt much nicer. The extra length was nice, except when I had to walk over to the kite.
I found that the Prism lines, being white were easier to see on the ground vs the red and blue lines of the Laser Pro Modulus. I do like the Modulus line for its slipperiness and the sleeving seems easier to use on it than the Prism line, but that is only after one outing with the new line.

As many here have already stated, longer lines give you that bit extra time to react to your mistakes before a nasty lawn dart.

Cheers,
Sean
iwannafly

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 07:30 PM »

It's funny Cheesy I chopped the 85'x150# Prism lines that came with my Quantum down to about 70-75' and I like it a better. To me it seems more immediate. Might have something to do with being of the Videogame generation...

Nah, must be I'm too impatient to wait for the kite to do something. Wink

I will more than likely get a set of 90#x75' lines when I get my second kite. That type of line felt good when I flew TEMPEST's SF 2.5UL. Huh I mean the SF 2.5 UL that SMG has.

Thanks again all

Tait
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47 PM »

I always like lighter line - never noticed any issues with it not falling out of the way quickly enough for tricks.   For sure, when you are having difficulty keeping the kite in the air, you want to be using 50#.

On the contrary, I've found that overly heavy line for the wind makes it difficult to quickly pop and then slack the kite for tricks due to the lines "bowing".  When you pull, you must also counteract this and its harder to get a good pop - the connection to the kite is not there.

I usually fly with 50# or 90# lines - 100' when I can, but usually 75' due to my small flying field.

6 kite tom
anOldMan

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 10:07 PM »

It's funny Cheesy I chopped the 85'x150# Prism lines that came with my Quantum down to about 70-75' and I like it a better. To me it seems more immediate. Might have something to do with being of the Videogame generation...

Nah, must be I'm too impatient to wait for the kite to do something. Wink

I will more than likely get a set of 90#x75' lines when I get my second kite. That type of line felt good when I flew TEMPEST's SF 2.5UL. Huh I mean the SF 2.5 UL that SMG has.

Thanks again all

Tait

Go with the line weight and length that YOU feel comfortable with. Wink

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46 AM »

Right on,  anOldMan !!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum