GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 07:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "kites" How Its Made from the Discovery Channel  (Read 5282 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: October 17, 2009, 12:34 PM »

Saw this on the Discovery Channel show "How Its Made" (Season 5 / Episode 13)

First part is on Electrical Panels the second is "Kites' it starts at 5:55 on
part one
How It's Made (Season 5 / Episode 13 / Part 1)
and continues on part 2
How It's Made (Season 5 / Episode 13 / Part 2)
the last section is about eye glass frames
finishes on part 3

Any idea who the kitemaker is, how about the pilot?

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kiten00b
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 12:10 PM »

wow, that video is full of misinformation- why didn't the writer ask someone who knew something about kites?
Moe

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:27 PM »

I didn't really notice anything *that* objectionable.  Maybe something a real enthusiast might disagree with, but this is mainstream entertainment for the masses, not a PhD thesis.  I suspect that one or two things might have been mis-translations (like 'arrows') - the show is made by a (French) Quebec production company, and done in both French and English versions.  Hence the accent on the narrator; they can use the same voice talent to record both tracks.  (actually, I'm surprised they don't overdub it with an American actor when broadcasting it in the US.  Most 'foreign' shows do get overdubbed)

As for the manufacturer...  I don't recall exactly, but I'm fairly certain they were based out of Quebec.  I do recall that it wasn't anyone 'major' (no BMK or other well known boutique company), but had the impression it was along the lines of a kite store that also did some custom designs.  And it was shot a good 5 - 6 years ago, so who knows if they're even around any more.

The episode is being repeated up here on the 21st though, and I've set the PVR to record it, so that I can check the credits for the name of the shop.  Just remind me to check after it's aired.

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
Mort

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 01:37 PM »

Hence the accent on the narrator; ?? What accent, I don't think the girl is french Canadian. Huh
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:47 PM »

She doesn't have any sort of French accent that I can detect. That said, she does sound suspiciously Canadian, which is probably close enough to a French Canadian accent for most of our friends South of the Border.

Cheers,
Sean

BTW, Woodstock is not that far, we should try and meet up for some flying some time.
Mort

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:36 PM »

We can do that, shoot me an email. Grin
Moe

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:52 PM »

Erm... I *am* Canadian.  And she *does* have an accent.  It's the accent commonly heard among bilingual voice actors in Canada - a sort of faint, upper class, Montreal, anglophone-raised-through-French-language-schools accent.  Particularly noticeable in the leading th and trailing t's, both of which are pronounced more like d's.  No, not your more harsh maritime or northern French, but it IS there.

All of which is, of course, beside the point.

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:21 PM »

Moe, now that you mention it, I do hear the D an T French accent coming through. I had to close my eyes and just listen for some reason.

But, as you said, what does it matter.

Cheers,
Sean
Beachbum
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:25 PM »

Second vid @ 3:46

"...and for $250 dollars you can have a hand made kite like this..."

A POS that doesn't whatsoever represent what stunt kites can do.  Did you see the flier running to keep the kite up right before that scene?  If I were someone who saw that I would most likely be turned away from trying one or even looking further into it.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Leather?  Roll Eyes

That's a very old show. The kite design & materials are mid '90s at the latest.

I felt bad for the poor guy who probably only had one shot at getting the kite in the air while the film crew was there. Typical time for the wind to die.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Torontokitefliers

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 08:26 PM »

The kite maker featured is a business called "La Cerf-Volanterie" out of Montreal.  Originally founded by Claude Thibaudeau in the 1980s and located in the historic Vieux Carré (old quarter) Montreal, the business was bought by a woman who moved it further east in the city on St. Catherine St.  The business shut down in 2007 or so.

The kites were indeed old school.  The designs were locked in the mid-90s, even still that video incorporated the Thibaudeau leather pockets and nose pieces.
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 11:17 PM »

The first season of How Its Made debuted in 1999, so this 5th season show could have been shot in the early 2000's.
Fore Check

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 04:25 PM »

If they're slapping kites together in two hours, no wonder the sails look unevenly sewn and the craftsmanship looks sub-par.  Ugh.  I wouldn't allow anything I built to see the light of day if it was done that flippantly.   Huh
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:28 PM »

How long do you think it takes a professional to make a kite?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 04:48 PM »

How long do you think it takes a professional to make a kite?

Depends on the kite I'd imagine. Mike Dennis at Heads Up Kites told me they can sew 2 Widow Maker sails a day. I think it takes Mark 2 or 3 days to make a Talon. I bet Chinese factory workers make kites a bit faster though.

Denny
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:03 PM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document