GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana Vs. NSE  (Read 7656 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: October 18, 2009, 03:24 PM »

I'm stuck in the house.

Sucks.

Anyway.

I got it into my head to do one of these Godzilla Vs. Mothra™ threads.

Any of you yahoos have experience with both of these?

Bonus points for experience with the different flavors.

I notice that R-Sky continues to make both available on their site.

Why?

Any feedback appreciated.

ta
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:46 PM »

yeah, and what's with the Nirvana SE STD vs Nirvana SE STD "S"?

Fdeli°
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:26 PM »

There must be an economy version in there somewhere. I'm guessing that may be the difference. I can't figure it out from the pricing as yet.

There is a 6mm LE version listed under Std.. The "S" has the traditional Nirvana frame set.

It's a puzzler..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:35 PM by JimB » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20 AM »

So, to clarify, and as I read it..... the NSE comes as:-

WW SkyShark 349€
WW Icone 409€
LW SkyShark 319€
LW Icone 379€
STD SkyShark 259€
STD Icone 359€
STD Aerostuff priceless
STD S SkyShark 299€
HW SkyShark 339€
HW Icone 399€

That's a lot of choices....  Huh

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44 AM »

A gratuitous number of choices.

The STD Skyshark is mostly Structil most likely with P300 lower spreaders, so; there's the EconoNiv.

The STD "S" would seem to be the rational choice, if these choices were ever rational.

Aerostuff. nice. But yikes.

Again, I ask why?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:53 AM by JimB » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:48 AM »

To capitalize on all those rich billionaires who have to be able to say:

"I have every R-Sky kite model ever made."

It must be quite the list: zippy8 and a few others.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:59 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:57 AM »

And that was gratuitous as well:

I doubt very much that Zman feels the need to own every version ever made of the Nirvana.

He's been complementary, of its attributes, if not the build quality, as one must: it's a great kite.

No.

I think it has to do with the exchange rate.

It seems to me that having that many choices interferes with making a choice however.

Especially when, at least for USAians, the price is feverish no matter how you slice it.

Sometimes I think Roger must have stepped on your Trilby Godfather.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:58 AM by JimB » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:02 AM »

Well, I truly enjoy my Opium and Darren's Nirvana Collector has made me rethink the later built Ns.

My ill attempt at humor was merely to convey that I too, am baffled that so many similar options are offered.

I retreat to my Trlbys humbly.  Undecided

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 01:15 AM »

"I have every R-Sky kite model ever made."
Never had an NSE. I had a First Fifty™ Nirvana but that went a long time ago. I never liked it but admired it. I always wanted to fly something else, even when I acknowledged that the Nirvana was the better kite.

I've not got a particular problem with multiple frame choices (defunct store Windfactory offered upgrade frames to many kites) but I'd like to be sure that each one made sense.

400€+ for any kite isn't likely for me. 300€ is pause-for-breath-and-think-it-through territory.

Mike.

Adicakes
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 03:43 AM »

I've spent a fair amount of time on a Skyshark NFE, but I recently sold it so that I could order another NFE in Icone.  That order hasn't come in yet, but my order for an NSE in Icone arrived a few weeks ago.  I still can't comment though because the NSE remains unflown.  Lips sealed
Francois

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:34 PM »

I have a Nirvana Icone and a  NSE Icone...They are very close in performances a slight edge to the NSE for roll up tricks...         

The new Frank!
Schook
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:05 AM »

I have a Nirvana Icone and a  NSE Icone...They are very close in performances a slight edge to the NSE for roll up tricks...         

+1

I have some Nirvanas and owned a NSE for a bit.  I thought they were close enough in performance that I am staying with the older Nirvana models.  Plus I prefer the sail pattern on the older N's  Wink
jim

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
cje0114
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:02 PM »

+1

I have some Nirvanas and owned a NSE for a bit.  I thought they were close enough in performance that I am staying with the older Nirvana models.  Plus I prefer the sail pattern on the older N's  Wink
jim

you are correct.....the fist generation nirvanas are a sexy kite. I loved mine very much....well maybe not so much the HW, but it still has a place in my heart.

Cry
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:28 PM »

Thanks for the information so far everybody.

What I'm getting at is this:

We all know that there are a lot of guys flying the Nirvana.

We know it is a great design.

I would imagine that the NSE is all that at the very least.

What I don't know is are people flying the Niv or the NSE?

If the Niv, is it because they haven't bought a new one, or some other reason; if the NSE why do they like it over the Niv?  IOW, is there a preference for one or the other and what is it specifically?

Just curious about this. The Nirvana is still considered an amazing kite, but there isn't a lot of chatter about either edition these days. Maybe because it has been around and readily acknowledged to be a benchmark design.

Still just kinda wondering.

zippy8

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18 PM »

If the Niv, is it because they haven't bought a new one, or some other reason; if the NSE why do they like it over the Niv?  IOW, is there a preference for one or the other and what is it specifically?
From what I've read/heard there isn't really enough of a difference between the Nirvana and the Nirvana SE  such that it demands a new purchase. There's less of a progression from Nirvana to Nirvana SE than there was from Opium to Nirvana and they were very similar kites.

I dare say someone out there will be able to divine some marginal differences but given that the Nirvana itself has undergone substantial changes throughout its lifetime even if the Nirvana SE is going to be called "better", which flavour of Nirvana is it being compared to ?

Taking into account that they are the same price (and I notice that the website has the pricing explained in a bit more straightforward manner now); pick one, fly it, enjoy it.

Mike.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography