GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat(1)  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana Vs. NSE  (Read 8374 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 11:26 PM »

Having owned a Nirvana FE and flew an NSE briefly, I think there is one pretty obvious difference after flying the NSE for a while. The NSE is a bit more accessible on its back or turtle compared to the NFE.

Lazy based tricks happen easier as the kite will rotate when the nose goes low enough. With the NFE sometimes the lazy input have to be timed properly and if not the wing you pull will just flip that side of the kite up instead of spinning properly. This makes for easier Multilazies as well as JLs.

Personally I'd wished for an NSE with the NFE's panel layout though. The NSE appears too "roundy" panel wise for my taste and not sharp looking enough.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 11:45 PM »

I suppose...

But.

There are differences in their dimensions (quite large ones actually) not to mention sail patterns... One would imagine that these things do make for a different kite.

No, I think I'll just wait and see if anyone else can shed a bit more light on the N Vs. NSE conundrum.

Roger doesn't strike me as the sort to do an entirely extra Nirvana for no reason. There must be something specific he was after.

The question is.. what would that be?

If the Niv, is it because they haven't bought a new one, or some other reason; if the NSE why do they like it over the Niv?  IOW, is there a preference for one or the other and what is it specifically?
From what I've read/heard there isn't really enough of a difference between the Nirvana and the Nirvana SE  such that it demands a new purchase. There's less of a progression from Nirvana to Nirvana SE than there was from Opium to Nirvana and they were very similar kites.

I dare say someone out there will be able to divine some marginal differences but given that the Nirvana itself has undergone substantial changes throughout its lifetime even if the Nirvana SE is going to be called "better", which flavour of Nirvana is it being compared to ?

Taking into account that they are the same price (and I notice that the website has the pricing explained in a bit more straightforward manner now); pick one, fly it, enjoy it.

Mike.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:01 AM by JimB » Logged
cje0114
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55 PM »

Maybe sales were starting to go down on the nirvanas so he changed a couple things and created the nse that's actually the same as the old nirvana. That way everybody would see and new nirvana and would just have to rush out to get one. You know how it is when a new kite come out on the market........especially with the name "nirvana" attached to it..........

Chris
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55 PM »

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

Thanks Darryl.

Having owned a Nirvana FE and flew an NSE briefly, I think there is one pretty obvious difference after flying the NSE for a while. The NSE is a bit more accessible on its back or turtle compared to the NFE.

Lazy based tricks happen easier as the kite will rotate when the nose goes low enough. With the NFE sometimes the lazy input have to be timed properly and if not the wing you pull will just flip that side of the kite up instead of spinning properly. This makes for easier Multilazies as well as JLs.

Personally I'd wished for an NSE with the NFE's panel layout though. The NSE appears too "roundy" panel wise for my taste and not sharp looking enough.

-Darryl
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59 PM »

I had thought of that Chris, and while it is always a possibility, the question then becomes; have sales really dropped on Nirvanas, beyond the general malaise in the kite biz that is?

Reason enough though.

Maybe sales were starting to go down on the nirvanas so he changed a couple things and created the nse that's actually the same as the old nirvana. That way everybody would see and new nirvana and would just have to rush out to get one. You know how it is when a new kite come out on the market........especially with the name "nirvana" attached to it..........

Chris
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:00 AM »

There are differences in their dimensions (quite large ones actually)
Nirvana: 235x97
Nirvana SE: 240x100

Allegedly.

As R-Sky themselves put it "R-SKY could continue this model still, but it became essential for the Nirvana to evolve" so the Nirvana SE is, as the name might suggest, just like a Nirvana but not exactly the same. It was, after all, a 6 year old design by the time the Nirvana SE came along. But then again any comments on performance might well be just out of the bag and goddess alone knows that there are variations enough on the Nirvana to suit almost any taste (bridle style, bridle setting, weighting, framing, etc.).

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07 AM »

The Nirvana is listed as 230 X 90 currently on the site. Not that those dimensions are gospel. Or even correct. No idea.

Good point nonetheless. It is one of the more adaptable designs around.

It would have helped if Roger had been a bit more forthcoming with info on just exactly how the NSE has "evolved".

Pretty general blurb.

There are differences in their dimensions (quite large ones actually)
Nirvana: 235x97
Nirvana SE: 240x100

Allegedly.

As R-Sky themselves put it "R-SKY could continue this model still, but it became essential for the Nirvana to evolve" so the Nirvana SE is, as the name might suggest, just like a Nirvana but not exactly the same. It was, after all, a 6 year old design by the time the Nirvana SE came along. But then again any comments on performance might well be just out of the bag and goddess alone knows that there are variations enough on the Nirvana to suit almost any taste (bridle style, bridle setting, weighting, framing, etc.).

Mike.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 07:05 PM »

Any new info on comparing these now that so much more time has passed?

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 09:24 PM »

Well, I ended up buying an NSE.

I think what has been reported is pretty much it.

My experience has been that the NSE transitions between tricks smoother, in fact; it seems to just plain trick a little easier.

Precision is not quite as easy for me to achieve with the NSE. That may be down to the framing on my example which is the basic frame. I've had some success with tuning in improving the tracking, which is nothing to sneeze at in any case. It's not bad, just a bit trickier getting a really clean turn, again, for me.

Not a huge difference, but there nonetheless.

I still have very little time on the NSE and so may find that what I think about all this changes. Still, that's my first impression.

It's still a Nirvana FWIW.
Francois

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 01:44 PM »

Just sold my NSE Icone and kept my Nirvana (icone also). I love the Nirvana better...But the NSE IS easyer to trick( a bit). Just like the original panel layout and color better and they are to close of each other to keep  grant worth (or close)of kites sitting in the bag Wink

The new Frank!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum