GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 09:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kitehouse YoYo Stoppers  (Read 1508 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: October 18, 2009, 04:44 PM »

And what about these things?

They look good.

Anyone using them?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:10 AM by JimB » Logged
cje0114
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:50 PM »

Those look pretty interesting....I might have to try some one day after I burn through the boat load of r sky stoppers that I have left over from back way when...
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22 PM »

This style of yoyo stopper is on my Widowmaker.  Jon T made it as a special for the AKA convention in 2007.  They work great.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:24 PM »

Hmm.. now if we can just source some at a reasonable price.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:06 PM »

i agree those look very interesting. they don't look like they'd get sheared off should you do a nice tim benson style tip drag.

would appear to be easy to replace even if it did.

Jon T, is it true? if so could you send a few samples to las vegas for testing? Smiley if there's one thing we're good at out here, it's finding weak spots. (just kidding ... mostly) Tongue

Fdeli
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 10:02 PM »

I have been flying something like this on almost all my kites.  Originally Cecil's idea, I went out and browsed home improvement stores for circular gaskets that can be used as yoyo stoppers.  The ones I found are from a faucet repair kit available at OSH for one or two bucks a pair.  If anyone is interested, I can post the item number when I am back home later this week.

Obviously, the larger side would go towards the nose of the kite.  The inner diameter fits perfectly with SkyShark P series rods, 3PT and Dynamic T15.  Has to be enlarged for 5PT and possibly T18.  Not a big issue with a drill press.  Use a sharp knife to cut the gasket open on one side.  On some kites, like the Zephyr shown in the pic, the smaller side needs to be flattened if you want to use the existing holes in the sail.  The sharper the knife, the lower the risk of injury.  I am speaking from experience here  Lips sealed

These yoyo stoppers catch the lines at least as well as many of the stock stoppers.  They are not quite as good as fully outstretched Silver Fox stoppers.  But then, most of those large stoppers get twisted away after short flight and fall off all the time.  And the round stoppers definitely catch the lines _a lot_ better than a missing stopper or one that points to the belly of the kite.  I have not lost a single one in many leading edge launches or other risky maneuvers.  My first mod on virtually every new kite.

Cheers,

JayDee

[attachment deleted by admin]

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
portley777
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:20 AM »

I have the first gen yo yo stoppers with the weird cable tie in the middle (on my CDC). I think the ones pictured are an improvement and look prettier- however, the old ones still do the job. I'd love to have rollbars instead though Wink

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:59 AM »

I have the first gen yo yo stoppers with the weird cable tie in the middle (on my CDC). I think the ones pictured are an improvement and look prettier- however, the old ones still do the job. I'd love to have rollbars instead though Wink

Cheers,
Mike

I think those old ones were just a piece of split water hose held on with a cable tie. Cheap & easy to copy, if you've a mind to.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 06:44 AM »

I have been flying something like this on almost all my kites.  Originally Cecil's idea, I went out and browsed home improvement stores for circular gaskets that can be used as yoyo stoppers.  The ones I found are from a faucet repair kit available at OSH for one or two bucks a pair.  If anyone is interested, I can post the item number when I am back home later this week.

Obviously, the larger side would go towards the nose of the kite.  The inner diameter fits perfectly with SkyShark P series rods, 3PT and Dynamic T15.  Has to be enlarged for 5PT and possibly T18.  Not a big issue with a drill press.  Use a sharp knife to cut the gasket open on one side.  On some kites, like the Zephyr shown in the pic, the smaller side needs to be flattened if you want to use the existing holes in the sail.  The sharper the knife, the lower the risk of injury.  I am speaking from experience here  Lips sealed

These yoyo stoppers catch the lines at least as well as many of the stock stoppers.  They are not quite as good as fully outstretched Silver Fox stoppers.  But then, most of those large stoppers get twisted away after short flight and fall off all the time.  And the round stoppers definitely catch the lines _a lot_ better than a missing stopper or one that points to the belly of the kite.  I have not lost a single one in many leading edge launches or other risky maneuvers.  My first mod on virtually every new kite.

Cheers,

JayDee

Hey JD...
That looks like a great idea... thanks for that. I'll pick some of those up next time I'm at the builder's supply, and give it a try.
~Rob.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change