GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 06:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silverfox standoff diameter  (Read 1278 times)
kitechick
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:02 PM »

I need to replace a standoff for a silverfox 2.3. Does anyone know the diameter size so I order the right rod, or can you tell me how to measure the diameter?

Laura
kitelover
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:25 AM »

Laura,

Just measured mine at 0.113-0.116" (3mm) with a dial caliper. Missing you at the park.
Winged V

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:45 PM »

From what I have seen with the kites that come out of Bells factory,they use some funky "carbon" rod stock. Looks like real carbon but up close it appears to have plastic in it or something and it deflects alot more,so unless you buy a factory stand off I would expect the stand off to be different.

Would suggest that you order some REAL  carbon rod stock from Steve and switch all the stand offs.It's a cheap upgrade.

john.m
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35 AM »

If you have a 2.3 UL, I can take a vernier caliper and measure mine for you.  Also can scan the literature that shipped with it and make it available if you wish.

Thanks for mentioning the Bell rods, WingedV.  I need to replace an upper LE spar on my AcrobatX and was trying to decide whether to do just one or both.  Think I'll get two and make the kite equal now that I know the rods are odd material.
Winged V

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:57 AM »

john. m
I was talking about the sail standoffs,but if your kite is framed with  protruded say 6mm rod,I think you will find that they are not what WE would call a TRUE carbon rod either.A guy I fly with ,framed his in Sky Shark rods and stated to me it made a big difference in flight.

john.m
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 07:10 PM »

Got it, Rick, thanks.

I took the broken spar in and Normand set me up with a matching Avia carbon rod.  I rebuilt the one side tonight and taped up the other for the time being.

The new rod seems to have the same weight and flex as the old one.

I'll remember what you've noticed if I ever have to replace a standoff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography