GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "kites" How Its Made from the Discovery Channel  (Read 5111 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52 PM »

Last time I ordered one from Lam, he told me it takes him 2-3 days to make a kite.

Its all detail work from the cutting to the sewing to the assembly.

I would imagine that if you were making 50 at a time rather than 1-2, you could speed it up some.

6 kite tom
john.m
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:25 AM »

Okay, here comes another country chiming in (oh wait a minute, I'm a native Quebecer)... and I've enjoyed  "How It's Made" very often.

This has been a thread with quite a lot of rumor in it and I'll try to -not- introduce any more.

First... I thought the segment was pretty decently done.  Unfortunately, it clearly comes across with the feeling of advertising as it only focuses on one manufacturer and states prices and trade names.  That is not unusual for HIM, but I never noticed it before because I wasn't being critical.

Since they collected all of their information from the same source (presumably that seamstress or her employer or both) they're materials list and names are not general; they are specific to that maker and model.

According to HIMs site (Series 5 - Episode 65), the kite maker is:
La Cerf-Volanterie

A phone call to the shop earlier this year established that the business moved from the Old Port section of my city (Montreal... that's my home) to the East End a few years ago and has closed down in the last couple of years.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that the woman in the video is the owner/operator and her name is listed at MadeInMtl as Celine Henry.

I think my pal Jambo101 has a kite from her shop and I'll try to steer him to this thread.

When I started in the hobby in July, I surveyed the local kite scene and have found Normand Girard (see Norm Design) who is pivotal in our city's kite culture.  If you want to know what Celine is up to, I bet Normand could connect you with her.

"Nocks" in french are called "Encoches"; I would consider the translational error of that detail to be the producer's and not the kite maker's.  It's an interesting point to note that the use of the French language in my province contains many, many, many imprecise terms and anglicisms... that being the case, it is possible that Mme Henry may have mentioned arrows in her description to the HIM (purely conjecture on my part).
Brian O
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 09:28 AM »

Here's a pretty interesting video on kitemaking - no instruction just incredible workmanship

http://www.vliegerforum.nl/index.php?showtopic=42398
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12 PM »

Mike Dennis at Heads Up Kites told me they can sew 2 Widow Maker sails a day.
Denny

I would prefer to have my sail sewn by Pam and let Mike do the framing

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography