GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to borrow/scan some "Into the Wind" past catalogs  (Read 2269 times)
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: October 20, 2009, 08:08 PM »

I am working on a project of scanning all the ITW catalogs, with the assistance of Into the Wind, I have every catalog starting 1981 except 4,  I still need the following years 1993, 1994, 2005, and 2008.

If anybody has any of these I would like to borrow them for a couple of days to scan them, then return

Thanks for any help

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:48 AM »

Hey there...
I was smart enough to hang onto some of my old ones, but it looks like I only have 1990-1991. I should have 2008, I'll have to look through my archive. I would be interested to see the rest of them again, are you planning on posting them when you're done with the project ?
~Rob.

kiteking

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46 AM »

planning on posting them when you're done with the project ?
~Rob.
That is still to be determined, I am waiting until I have them mostly done and will show it to ITW, they may want to post in their archive, or give permission to post elsewhere (kitelife archive)

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56 AM »

or give permission to post elsewhere (kitelife archive)
What are we ... chopped liver???

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiteking

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:08 PM »

What are we ... chopped liver???

No Steve,

I don't like liver!

I am working with John to archive information on older kites, I contacted ITW to assist me in getting information. The scanning project is something I was going to do for myself, though ITW knows I am scanning them.(they sent me their only copies of 81, 82, 83 to scan and return)

As you know Kitelife has the archives of the past Kitelines and SKQ magazines so it seems a good fit.

I guess it depends on what ITW decides if/how they want them available. I doubt they would object  making them available for viewing, but they may frown on people trying to order from them

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

rknauss
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:17 PM »

Mike,

I've got a 1993 and 2008. Don't think they printed or sent out a 2005 cat.
email me a shipping address if you still need them.

Rick
kiteking

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:32 PM »

2 out of 4 is great email sent with shipping address

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kiteking

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:42 PM »

I've got a 1993 and 2008. Don't think they printed or sent out a 2005 cat.

Rick

Anybody else know if there was or was not a catalog in 2005? 

Still need 1994 and 2005(if it was produced)

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

bt
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 11:14 PM »

Iirc as well there was no 2005 printed catalog. I love(d) printed catalogs. I can check tomorrow as I think I had a run from '96/'97?? on and I do remember some correspondence regarding a (non)catalog....
What a great idea. I`m sure I even have some Dan Whitney GWTW catalogs lying around as well...
bt
kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28 AM »

I`m sure I even have some Dan Whitney GWTW catalogs lying around as well...

Yeah, that would be cool---we could scan them and then offer them to another site!
kiteking

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 05:10 AM »

I got confirmation from ITW that indeed there was no catalog printed in 2005, So I guess I will have all years after receiving the 2 from Rick

Thank you all

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RobB

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 07:09 AM »

planning on posting them when you're done with the project ?
~Rob.
That is still to be determined, I am waiting until I have them mostly done and will show it to ITW, they may want to post in their archive, or give permission to post elsewhere (kitelife archive)
Will this be on the public content side, or the members only side ? It would be nice if everyone could see these pieces of history, and not have to pay for the viewing. If you need a space to house them, I have plenty of space on my web server.
~Rob.

kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 01:57 PM »

If you need a space to house them, I have plenty of space on my web server.

That would be cool.  While it would be neat to see some of those old catalogs, I certainly wouldn't pay Kitelife to see them.
RobB

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:01 PM »

I was a KL member for a few years, but the dual and single line interest group all went elsewhere or got absorbed by the dark side. I had to decide between my AKA membership and my KL membership, so I chose to keep the AKA. I did learn alot from KL, got alot of 'newbie help' from the members at the time.

kiteking

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 10:46 PM »

While it would be neat to see some of those old catalogs, I certainly wouldn't pay Kitelife to see them.

Nothing is for sure at this time, but I would expect that if (that's a big if) it were to be posted on Kitelife, it would most likely be in the Library section which doesn't require a membership to access the past issues of Kitelines and SKQ.

I am a long way (1981,82,83,87,2009 scanned so far) from finished, and I still need approval/permission from ITW after they see the final results. I should be further along I know, started Wednesday, but hurricane Rick has caused havoc here in Tucson. Our normal winds of 2-5 mph have been 12-18 instead, so Ive been spending the most part of the morning/afternoon at the local ball field. Got in about 6-8 hours earlier this week. Took the wife to Bisbee AZ for a day trip of antiquing, dinner, and a jazz trio this afternoon/evening.

My son is currently working on a (flip album type) program that I hope will give me the output I am looking for. He is  "The Engineer" (programmer) for Onverse.com, so he is working on my project between patches/updates/enhancements to their program. He did request some sample scans today so he may have the thing running.

Here is a teaser for you though:

More covers to follow???
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:15 PM by kiteking » Logged

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change