GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't (my) new posts show up as "unread"?  (Read 1495 times)
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: October 21, 2009, 09:15 PM »

On the old forum (and others I frequent), looking for "unread" posts shows recent posts even if I've looked at them, or even if I've posted a response. Here, those posts don't seem to show up. Is this an "option" I can change? It makes me worry that posts are disappearing, or at least not bumped up to the top of the line.

Or maybe I'll just get over that worry. . .

Norm in Toronto
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:21 PM »

Never seen that.  Are you hitting the back arrow on your browser or reloading the forum?

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27 AM »

i am going to guess that the cookie is saying that you were on the site when that post was written....so therefore it is not a "new" post to you.....
same thing happens to me...
that is why i always preview my posts to make sure that the formatting looks right before posting...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
normofthenorth

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:13 AM »

At first, I was hitting "back", but then I started clicking on the "Show unread posts since last visit" link. Maybe if I hit Ctrl or Alt or something when I clicked. . . (or not?).

Norm in Toronto
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:49 AM »

"unread" posts shows recent posts even if I've looked at them, or even if I've posted a response. Here, those posts don't seem to show up

I must be missing something here ... you want to have posts that you have read to show up as unread?  There is an option available tht lets you return to the topic that you have just posted in (don't remember if this is on by default or not). 
Profile>Look and Layout Preferences,  There you can check (or uncheck) "Return to topics after posting by default."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:52 AM by Steve » Logged

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05 PM »

i think(there ya go thinking again) what he is asking is why don't posts/replys i just made show up as unread
wondered that myself too

Sine Metu!
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:13 PM »

why don't posts/replys i just made show up as unread
They do ... to me and to others.  I think that the forum software assumes that you have read what you wrote prior to posting it.

Steve
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:38 PM »

why don't posts/replys i just made show up as unread
They do ... to me and to others.  I think that the forum software assumes that you have read what you wrote prior to posting it.
That makes perfect sense to me. I always read my own posts before everyone else.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40 PM »

I think that the forum software assumes that you have read what you wrote prior to posting it.

Not always true in my case, proof is in the number of edits I have to make, even with your time allowance a re-write/ spelling correction often takes me longer <insert embarrassed smiley here>

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
normofthenorth

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42 PM »

Thanks, folks. I guess I'll just get used to it!

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography