GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP to Windows 7  (Read 4514 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:10 PM »

Last winter I bought a new laptop PC. I was not that interested in Vista so I had it loaded with XP Home Edition, thinking I would wait for Windows 7. Now it looks like Windows 7 is not an upgrade option but a clean install, and Windows Upgrade Advisor says that Aero will not be supported by my graphics adaptor and that I will also have driver issues with some of my other hardware.
Any advise? I would like to upgrade to a 64 Bit system to take full advantage of my RAM. If the verdict is no, for Windows 7, what are my XP 64 Bit options.
Thanks
Rx
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:39 PM by rxburner » Logged
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:49 PM »

I would hurry and get Windows 7 before they add all the updates and patches to make it run correctly!!!

Here are some links that might help:

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

Windows 7 upgrade path explained

How to Upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7

Upgrading to Windows 7: what XP and Vista users need to know

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Good luck, I personally am going to wait till Xmas time when laptops w/Win7 will be running around $500. and save to $150- $200 to upgrade.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 07:57 PM »

If you weren't that interested in Vista, why Windows 7? It's the same beast in different clothes.

Is there something wrong with XP? I mean, really. There are very few real world reasons to upgrade right now. In the future, sure, we will all be running 7 or 8 or whatever, but right now, it's an XP world we're in, why go to the trouble of running a new OS? It will be much easier to live with in a year. There is always an intersection between when one OS is getting behind in compatibility and support and the other is gaining in compatibility and stability. Somewhere in that overlap is the sweet spot for an upgrade. Varies greatly.

But, it's new shiny...

Unless you need to address more than 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS is a waste of energy. Many, many more issues to hassle with.

Just for persecutive on my opinion, I'm in the midst of planning to upgrade a couple thousand systems to 7 over the next few months...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:00 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
john.m
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:02 PM »

I'd find a used 40GB hard drive for cheap and build Windows 7 on it so that I could assess whether I want to dive in or not.  That lets me swap back to my trusted setup any time I want and I can go find all the bits and pieces to make 7 run well at my leisure.
kiteking

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 05:15 AM »

I personally am going to wait till Xmas time when laptops w/Win7 will be running around $500. and save to $150- $200 to upgrade.

Xmas has come early

Inspiron 15" Laptop for $499 with Dual Core T4200 processor, Windows 7, 3GB memory, 250GB hard drive, CD/DVD Burner, and 4-cell battery.

Inspiron 537s Slim Desktop Computer & 19" Monitor for $499. Dual Core E5300 processor, Windows 7, 18.5" Monitor, CD/DVD Burner, 3GB memory, 320GB hard drive.

Acer Aspire  AS5517-5671 NoteBook AMD Athlon 64 TF-20(1.60GHz) 15.6" 3GB Memory DDR2 667 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon HD 3200 - Retail Comes with Windows 7 Premium(limit 1 per customer) only $399.99
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:29 AM by kiteking » Logged

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:07 AM »

The word I get is - Don't - If you didn't like Vista or had problems with it you may have the same with Win7, many/most Vista problems were caused by trying to use older software or older hardware not specifically designed for Vista, unless you've replaced all of that Win7 will not be any better. It sounds like you're in that class with some unsupported hardware. What's wrong with XP? It'll be supported until 2014 now. Have you already upgraded your RAM over 2 gig? Do you really need more then 2 gig? XP64 is nice though from what I hear if you want or need to go that way because of a need for more RAM.

As I recall less then a year ago you were considering a Netbook, way less power then you ended up opting for, what's changed? Most people cruise the internet, do a little word processing, maybe run M$ Money or Quickbooks, maybe TurboTax, possibly a little Excell, and some basic photo editing. If that's you then a 5 year old computer is perfectly functional and you're already ahead of that game. If you REALLY need more then Craigs List that thing and buy a new one.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:09 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 01:55 PM »

I'd find a used 40GB hard drive for cheap and build Windows 7 on it so that I could assess whether I want to dive in or not. 

That's fine if fiddling with a computer is a hobby. Most people just want the damn thing to work.

To elaborate on what Mike said, I think 7 will succeed where vista failed primarily due to  technology refresh. In short, time heals...

Allen, AKA kitehead
rxburner
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 11:43 AM »

I do have 4 gigs of RAM, XP Home only sees 3 gigs.....
that is my main interest in a 64 bit OS....
Rx
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 12:31 PM »

Although my 6 year old Mac and 23" screen are doing fine....

The new 27" Huh  iMac (with motion sensing Magic Mouse™) for $1700 sure looks good and would be a fine way to leave the bitter tasting teat of Mr. Gates behind.

Just a thought.

http://www.apple.com/  Roll Eyes

Two of my brothers recently went to the 23" iMac from PCs. Perhaps my constant years of badgering finally paid off.

I know you're writing about a recent laptop, but I almost feel compelled to start a Mac/PC rant.  Cool I do have a PC also and it works okay.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:37 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 03:40 PM »

...but I almost feel compelled to start a Mac/PC rant.  Cool

Since you *did* say so.  Smiley

With Windows 7 now out for the masses, buying a Mac seems more than ever to me, like my beloved Grandmother used to say, a case of more dollars than sense.

Case in point.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:48 PM »

holy crap.
kevin
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 04:05 PM »

holy crap.

Right?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 05:02 PM »

You can pay more for a Mac at first....

or you can pay for your PC "every day of your life".  Kiss

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteking

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 05:17 PM »

I think Mac's are great, but it's the PC's that keep me in business

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kevin
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 05:39 PM »

You can pay more for a Mac at first....

or you can pay for your PC "every day of your life".  Kiss

Are you sipping a half-caff-double-decaf-sugar-free-sweetened-soy-latte outside of a Starbucks while smoking an organic acai flavored clove cigarette as you type that 15 year old line?

Just curious what it is you do with your evenings.   Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography