GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 12:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP to Windows 7  (Read 5080 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 06:03 PM »

I don't inhale clove ciggies.

Lockheed-Martin use to be all Macs in Sunnyvale many years ago. IT ratio was 50 computers/tech. Then the geniuses went to PCs, including me. IT ratio went to 10 computers/tech.

When it comes to supporting the IT guys, buy a PC.

Heck, they both do the same things. Although the PCs are way better for games. That latte sure sounds good.

I would have typed this on our PC, but Norton is busy getting rid of some critters on it....again.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 06:34 PM »

I had to Google that "Norton" thing you were talking about.  I think I understand what it's for, but I don't typically exhibit the kind of web-surfing behavior that makes a thing like "Norton" necessary.  If you've a few super-good pics from frequenting the type of sites that keep those guys in business, please share by sending them to me via my Live mail account---I'm pretty sure they'll knock the dirt off of anything before it lands on my oh-so-vulnerable PC.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 07:44 PM »

The reason Mac's dont have much problem with virus's:

The people who write the virus want to disrupt work flow, so they think

write for PC =1 billion users

write for the Mac = 12 users

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 09:24 PM »

If you are happy with the PC, then just keep at it.  I'm sure dual line kites were also fun before the stand-off was invented as well.

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 10:33 PM »

ok, we get it. you like your stuff. that's great for you. now leave us alone in the dark to suffer, please.

no one was talking mac in this thread until a troll came in and decided to enlighten the masses, worse yet, a moderator.

live and let live.

mac users, exit stage left. thank you.

F¡deli°
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 10:45 PM »

Reminds me of Chevy vrs Ford discussions, Chevy fanatics are very vocal & have names to call the ford fans etc.

Thank god for Chevrolets, my family would've starved if not for them ... we were all auto mechanics don't you know.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 11:50 PM »

My work here is done. Gosh, we haven't done that in years. And it was even civil. Thanks to all for playing.

Enjoy the new Windows OS....and your new printers, drivers, etc.  Cheesy

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiteking

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 09:04 AM »

Enjoy the new Windows OS....and your new printers, drivers, etc.  Cheesy

I once heard that if Microsoft built roads, every time they repaved you would have to purchase a new car!

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jeff

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 09:23 PM »

I upgraded my 2 XP machines to Win7. Easy and flawless, and everything works great. I used the RC version for a while so I knew what to expect, but it's really nice and has some cool features I'm still discovering.

For people who don't care to get caught up in the computer holy wars, just know that Win7 looks to be outstanding.

and
John Welden

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06 PM »

Although my 6 year old Mac and 23" screen are doing fine....

The new 27" Huh  iMac (with motion sensing Magic Mouse™) for $1700 sure looks good and would be a fine way to leave the bitter tasting teat of Mr. Gates behind.

Just a thought.

http://www.apple.com/  Roll Eyes

Two of my brothers recently went to the 23" iMac from PCs. Perhaps my constant years of badgering finally paid off.

I know you're writing about a recent laptop, but I almost feel compelled to start a Mac/PC rant.  Cool I do have a PC also and it works okay.

WOW, you converted someone?  I've been working on my parents and brother for  20 years. They always have some stupid excuse.  I've had to listen to them bitch and moan about their PC's for all these years.  All they use is email, web, itunes and maybe a few other things that you can get for mac.  Absolutely no reason to stay with windoze.

Those 27 inch imacs look sweet.

What's funny is that I just got a smokin new win7 machine for Solidworks.  I had no choice, they don't make SW for mac.   Win7 is basically a NewTech kites version of OSX.  Pretty pathetic.  On the other hand, I haven't had any stability issues.  I'm running 64bit win 7 and 64bit Solidworks. I've also got a kick ass video card and Solidworks absolutely flies.  The rendering is incredible.  I'm actually quite happy so far.  I'm sure in a month or so I'll get some virus or something and have to reformat the HD.
John Welden

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 05:11 PM »

I upgraded my 2 XP machines to Win7. Easy and flawless, and everything works great. I used the RC version for a while so I knew what to expect, but it's really nice and has some cool features I'm still discovering.

For people who don't care to get caught up in the computer holy wars, just know that Win7 looks to be outstanding.

Outstanding compared to XP.  That isn't saying much.

I will give credit to some  cool features in win7 though . The windows management is pretty slick.  It actually looks decent, unlike XP that makes me ill.   It boots really quick.  My XP machine at work takes about an hour to boot.

I think windows user find Win 7 to be outstanding because XP is so pathetic.  Win7 gives them some of the look and feel of OSX.
kiteking

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 09:45 PM »

Windows 7 Upgrade for Students & Faculty $30

Requires a an email address ending in ".edu" to get an upgrade to Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) for $30. You can choose whether to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional. Just click through to Win741.com, click the middle-left "Buy" or "$29.99" box, and use your ".edu" email address. Download, or add $13 to have a DVD shipped. This is the same Windows 7 available to everyone, just cheaper.

Here

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 09:54 PM »

Same, but anybody considering it needs to aware that the academic editions usually come with no Microsoft support, that is to be provided by your schools computer dept. That's why it's cheaper. (Although I haven't confirmed that on this release) That said you can get better support anyway by searching forums online & Microsoft's Knowledge Base yourself then you get from Microsoft Support, even asking questions on a kite forum is probably more reliable thanks to members like Mike (kiteking) above - I've never shied away from an academic version when I could get it.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:03 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Jeff

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 02:10 PM »

Outstanding compared to XP.  That isn't saying much.

I will give credit to some  cool features in win7 though . The windows management is pretty slick.  It actually looks decent, unlike XP that makes me ill.   It boots really quick.  My XP machine at work takes about an hour to boot.

I think windows user find Win 7 to be outstanding because XP is so pathetic.  Win7 gives them some of the look and feel of OSX.
I don't care why. It's outstanding. I've always been satisfied with XP, it's just old now.

I couldn't care less about the Mac vs PC p**** matches. I like Win 7 a lot.

and
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change