GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: printing out sail plans  (Read 2777 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: October 23, 2009, 07:06 PM »

When printing out sail plans. I noticed that on my computer at the print screen it says plan size is at 61%,should I change that to:shrink to fit page,or to 100%,or leave it at 61%,then print it out. Any help in this would be greatly appreicated in helping print out my first sail plan.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:20 PM »

Change it to 100%

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:31 AM »

many plans will come with a hash mark somewhere in them. something which looks a bit like a place to play tic-tac-toe. the resulting squares on the printout should match the measurement indicated by the author of the plan, so those squares could be centimeters, or inches, but they're a measurable indication as to whether your printout is the correct final size.

some others will include a few dimensions for your to cross reference. they're not always obvious and of course on the internet there's no consistency either, but usually there's some way to know if your printout is the same size as the plan calls for.

but in any case you never want to shrink to fit for a final size plan.

Fdeli
tommymcmillan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:09 AM »

Thank you for the replies i'll get started on my print outs today.
fidelio

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:13 PM »

so which kite ya makin?

Fdeli
tommymcmillan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:08 PM »

Either the:Le Virus or the Thronback this will be my first build.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:19 PM »

Short of a full size plotter, I've had the best results from printing a pdf version of a plan. Acrobat has an option to tile large pages that will spread it across your paper size and will even print crop marks.

When I design my own graphic in a vector drawing program, I'll ultimately save/export it as a pdf to utilize that ability. If you have access to an 11"x17" printer, all the better.

Bob
fidelio

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 02:26 PM »

cool, a thornback was my first build.

take your time and if at any point you feel rushed, take a break. cut your sail pieces one at a time instead of trying to cut two so they'll be twins. it's too hard to get the temperature perfect so they don't stick together and when they do they fray at the edges when you pull them apart.

when you have everything cut take extra, extra care when assembling the wing making sure it's exactly how you want and exactly to plan. if the panels aren't fit just right at this stage, it will affect how the kite flies, so a few extra minutes are warranted to get it perfect.

i hope you enjoy the process and good luck. in the end it's so satisfying to see the thing actually fly.

be sure and show us a pic would ya.

Fdeli
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 04:40 AM »

Either the:Le Virus or the Thronback this will be my first build.

On my plan page for the TB there's a note about printing and a link to a little  sketch giving the major dimensions of the finished plan so you can make sure you got it right (ISTR all my updates are missing on the copy on Kiteplanbase)

tommymcmillan

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:51 AM »

What size seam allowance should I use on this build? This will also be my first time usine a sewing machine.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 06:07 AM »

Here is a wealth of great information on sewing kites: http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DWayne

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:32 AM »

What size seam allowance should I use on this build? This will also be my first time usine a sewing machine.

Depending on the plan. Most have the seam allowance on the plan already. There should be two lines at each seam. Those show the overlap of the two pieces of material. Most plans will have templates for the individual pieces. After you cut out your templates make sure they fit the plan before cutting any material. The templates should go to the outside lines on each corresponding piece on the plan.
FWIW I use poster board (Staples) for making templates. Print out the template. Tape it to the poster board. Cut it out with scissors. Then lay the template on the material and cut it out with a razor knife. I've never had any fraying problems with sail cloth. You'll probably want to hot cut the dacron & webbing though. They do fray.

Denny

inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 06:45 AM »

Depending on the plan. Most have the seam allowance on the plan already.

If you do use the Thornback plan they DO NOT have seam allowances included.

I run round my templates with a washer and a pencil (technique described on the site with photos) to give about 4~5mm on each side, except the leading and trailing edges where I don't add a seam allowance at all. I dont add anything to the TE because I use .75oz ripstop tape for the leech line tunnel.

DWayne

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10 AM »

Here's a super easy to follow first build. And a pretty nice kite too.  Wink

http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/

Denny

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42 PM »

Here is a wealth of great information on sewing kites: http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

Gary's site is now:
http://members.cox.net/gengvall/home.html

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change