GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 07:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loose bridle  (Read 2031 times)
wufer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: October 25, 2009, 04:50 AM »

Hello Smiley
First post, so ill come to the point.
1/   If this was your kite, and the lower bridle looked like that, would you shorten the bridle or lower the connection point.

Does the bridle look ok to you; i meen the angles and lengths of top and bottom parts
http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/26101/2893575890101221756S600x600Q85.jpg

Cheers.

Derek.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:42 AM »

nice Dream Catcher! (corgimas here from kb)
depends on the flight.........
the lower leg does not need to be taught....as long as the kite is behaving and climbing as it should....

if the kite starts to wander around a bit it might be worth trying to get tension on both bridle lines....help ti get a bit more stable...or ad a bit more dihedral....

if it does n to climb then def. the lower leg should be tightened a bit.....get that sail working for you....

if you look at big Edo kites that have multiple bridle lines...like LOTS of them....only about a 1/4 of them are actually there to control the kite...the rest are there as drag to help stabilize it....

looks cool......nice kite!
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
dadecitykiter
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:10 AM »

It looks to me like your top bridle line is a bit too low.
wufer

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:57 AM »

Hello corgimas Smiley
Yes Pumpkin has been helping me with this kite Cool
The kite flys ok, but sometimes it wobles from side to side, and thats what im tryin to fix.
Looking at diamond kite, which this is, just about, there bridles seem to have a distinctive "V" look about then, with the flying line "about" 3/4 up.
So to me, my bridle looks a bit odd.
But that may be just me Embarrassed

dadecitykiter, thanks.
As i said above, the bridle look odd, but this is my first SLK.
i was told that on a kite like this, i should fix the bridles 1/3 up and 1/3 down. Well, on this one its 1/4 down, and even so ,it does look to low.
Nice winds are forcast tomorrow so try things then.

Derek.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:10 AM »

I'd say the top looks a bit low too, but again if it's working don't muck around with it too much. Many kites will fly off the top and leave the bottom loose.

If you're having problems then looking at the placement point of the upper leg my guess would be that if you shortenend the bottom your tow point would move too far down. If that turns out to be the case add a third leg to the very top as an experiment, or right at the part in his hair if you don't mind making another hole. Your current legs can then be a single length of line run through a couple of rings to become self adjusting. Make their length adjustable for your angle of attack using your favorite method for bow lines. I've had good luck with this type of bridle on larger kites where I felt some additional support might be needed over the length of the spine.

Nice looking kite, I hadn't been following the Dream Catcher thread on KB, it looks like it's worth a look.

edit, that wobble can be indicative of the bridle too low, diamonds do that though with a tight sail. I would try a third leg to the top.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:14 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
wufer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:50 PM »

Mike.
Since i took that first pic, i was advised to do this( variable top adjustment ?.). not tried it yet but we will see Smiley

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/45387/2281730050101221756S600x600Q85.jpg

Derek.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:19 PM »

I'd feel that new bridle is far too short, acting more like a single point bridle hooked directly to the spine. Below is a pic of what I was attempting to describe.

Leg A, the upper bridle is a fixed length, although while experimenting you may want to make it adjustable too. Legs B & C are actually one continuous length of line that you can adjust the length of at point D thus changing the kites angle to the wind. I use a ring at the tow point since there will be movement there, but you can use a simple loop of line where leg D attaches to the kite since there won't be any movement there during flight. Letting the lower two points of a three point bridle self balance relieves you of having to get those two balanced correctly, although if the spine was attempting to bow back in the center this design won't cure it, but I don't see that happening on yours. I just figured it would use the two holes you've already made in the sail so it'll looked like you planned it that way  Wink

[attachment deleted by admin]

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
wufer

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:17 AM »

Mike.
So sorry, my pic has misled you Embarrassed
The pic is of the "top" bridle attachment "only".It is not the complate bridle
The lower bridle attachment is still 1/3 up.

Here is a dif' pic, and i hope it makes things a bit clearer Smiley.
Leave it with me and i'll come back after i've flown it

http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/45237/2369012330101221756S600x600Q85.jpg

Derek.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:37 PM »

ah... got it, I see what your trying.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change