GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaders incorporated in bridle?  (Read 983 times)
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: October 25, 2009, 12:47 PM »

For a long time is was thinking: Why do kite makes not incorporated long leader lines in their bridle design?
Sure can't be the extra bucks for a piece of bridle line?

I was intrigued to find out Viperkites has finally done it. Thumbs up. Like it.

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16 PM »

1 Less than 1% of sport kite flyers do yoyo tricks.
2 Yes, it does cost more.
3 However much leader line you add, some kiter will bitch there should be more.
4 If manufacturers did put on long leader lines, someone would ask why they couldn't just leave it off and give them the leaders separately.
5 You can't please everyone all the time.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:34 PM »

It's easy to add leaders to a kite and as you've noted some builders do.  I prefer to leave the leaders on the lines as I have fewer linesets than kites and kites are a little easier to pack up without the extra leader lines. Even when I tie bridles, leader lines are not added. Personal preference really.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:38 PM »

There are several manufacturers that add leaders built in their bridles now. No big deal to me I add leaders on my lines anyway. Although when I tie my own bridle I usually add enough extra for at least one roll up.

It maybe true that less than 1% (probably more) of sport kite fliers do roll up tricks I think that people that own the type of kites that have integrated leaders would be closer to 90% or more.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:52 PM »

I integrate the leaders into the bridles of all my standard and vented kites (basically very long towpoints).  I prefer to leave them off my UL because I think the benefits are not worth the extra drag (just my opinion).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum