GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure Island Kite Festival/Treasure Island Sport Kite Competition  (Read 6465 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: October 26, 2009, 03:31 PM »

This will be a bigger then ever event this year! While the TI Kite Festival is always a big event, this year it will be even bigger. Eastern League is back to host the Treasure Island Sport Kite Competition this year. Barry and Karen with Whatakite will also be in attendance. Below is the email that Sherri and Steve have posted about the event. If you are _anywhere_ in the area you _need_ to come out to this event as it's going to be big... and a LOT of fun! Hotel rates are cheap and you walk out of your room right onto one of the largest beaches in the US! Several fields will be set up but that does not limit the area to fly. There is _plenty_ of room for everyone. The fliers are very diverse as well... SLK fliers, dual line, quad, indoor. If you are just leaning to fly there will be plenty of people on the beach willing to offer assistance, their knowledge and let you fly some kites.

Email from Sherry and Steve:

The 13th Annual Treasure Island Kite Festival is January 16 & 17 2010

We are on our way to putting together an awesome event for you all!!

Here is what we have so far..

The Thunderbird Beach Resort is the host hotel. Call (727) 367-1961 Rooms start at $89/night. Book early!

Thanks to Robbie, Gary and Maggie we will see the return of the Treasure Island Sport Kite Championships. The registration will be up soon on the Eastern League website http://www.easternleague.net/

We would like to bring the North American Mega Fly Record back to TI!! So check the poll box so we can get an idea of how close we can get to the record.

There will be the usual candy drops, bol races and we'll need some of you to do demos for the crowd.

WhatAKite will be joining us for the first time! Barry and Karen will be displaying their show kites for us. http://www.whatakite.com/

No auction this year ( we will have some raffels) but we are going to have the room open for a Saturday Night Swap Meet. So bring your kite bags!

As always Ben will be there (I think he comes just for the meatball sandwiches   ) Ben will have his own field so you all can get together and fly with him. We sure would appreciate it if you all took turns giving Rev Flying Lessons so we can give Ben some R & R time.

We are working on an Indoor Competition with Scottie.

We have the event listed on Facebook you can also RSVP there http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1688...2937&ref=mf

Let the fun begin! We'll keep you updated as we confirm activities.

Looking forward to seeing you all in January!

Sherri & Steve

TI UPDATE!

The registration for the TISKC is up on the Eastern League website! http://easternleague.net/
Robbie did a great job on the registration!!

For you Rev lovers... Scottie is our official Mega Fly caller!! I'm looking forward to flying with Scottie in a couple of Mega Flies. We'll have a Mega Fly in the main demo field on both days.

Speaking of Mega Flies.. Scottie will also be doing a Team Flying Clinic on Friday. If you have always wanted to learn how to fly team or want to sharpen your skills this will be a great clinic. Scottie has been teaching Rev flyers for many years and I have been a student of his for the past 2 years. I don't believe that I would have taken the National Championship without his help. With that being said..

The Scott Weider Team Flying Clinic will be on Friday from 9am till 5pm.
At this clinic you will learn..
How to fly in a Team format
The Team maneuvers.. Ball, Burst, Dosey-Do, Pez, Radar and more for those of you with more skills.
The clinic is limited to 12. Three teams of 4 that will be bought together for a large team fly at the end of the day.
The clinic is $50.00 per person and I will keep you updated if we can include lunch in you registration.
Please email me to register at sunsetflyers@msn.com

There is more to come!! Stay Tuned!

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
tcope

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:16 PM »

30 days away! I'm really looking forward to this event!

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
WhataKite
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:26 AM »

Hello,
We, meaning Karen and I, were asked to come down to Florida, and help to expand the festival. We will be staying at the Bilmar Hotel, our cell number is 9362406965. I think we are planned to be flying a little down the beach from the Comp Fields.  If you are there, we would love to meet up, and visit.  Please, look for our kites, and we will always be at their stakes.  We do not/cannot/ will not leave them unattended, so, please, find us. We are looking forward to the festival.  Some of you SLK KiteHeads come on down.
Regards
Barry and Karen
WhataKite

BIG KITES, the Bigger, the Better!
Barry Ogletree
WhataKite
tcope

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:56 PM »

Just about a week away right now. Lets hope it warms up a little before then (it should).  Grin

Always great fun at this event. Very large beach area to fly in so plenty of room for everyone. Eastern League will be running the competition on the competition field. Another field or two for demos and still plenty of room for all stunt and SLK's to fly. Hotels right on the beach, right in flying area. Walk out of your room and start flying!

Good time to get away from all that snow.... you know I'm talking about you!  Cheesy

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:16 PM »

We just arrived at Clearwater Beach this week, looking to be at the Treasure Island Kite Fest, Jan. 15, 16, 17.  Hope, hope, hope it warms up a little before then!     Cheesy   It was GREAT flying on the Dunedin Beach today!  Got my fades to last a LOOOOOONG time!
Looking forward to meeting Everyone!
Jim & Kathy

PS: If anyone would like to meetup anytime before the Festival to fly...Let me know!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:14 AM by Jimmer » Logged
Shamrocky

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50 PM »

Hi Jim,

I did not know that there was a beach to fly on in Dunedin?  Can you give some details, we are staying at Belleair Beach, & most of the beach has washed away from last year.  We plan to take a ride to TI to fly on its wide beach on Tueday.

Jackie & Dick
Jimmer

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:47 PM »

Hi Jackie & Dick,
Kathy & I are in Clearwater Beach.  I flew on the beach today, 48 degrees and 6-9 mph winds from the N-NW Grin.
It should be even nicer tomorrow, 58+ degrees and nice winds Cheesy.  Let me know if you want to meet to fly.  All the beaches north of you are great.  Clearwater and Sand Key are the ones I've been using.
I'm good most of the time except Thurs.  And  I am planning to be at TI on Fri. to fly and be there also  Sat & Sun.
Regards,
Jim
Mrhide

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:57 PM »

58 degrees?!  Cheesy    ouch!
Jimmer

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:20 AM »

Grin  Temps. in the 70+'s for the TI Kite Festival!!!

Looking forward to meeting everyone, Grin
Jim
Shamrocky

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 06:26 PM »

Jim,

I guess you had no problem finding space to fly on the beaches of Clearwater.    Cheesy Cheesy

We are planning to fly at Treasure Island on Fri, Sat and Sun.   I am competiting in the sport kite competition over the weekend.  Hopefully, I will also be able to fly a demo for the kite festival too.  (if time permits).  My husband (Dick) will be busy fling his SLK and ground crewing for me.  We tend to fly at the South end of the beach past, because there is a little park that the county (opposite Publix) has that does not require quarters to park there all day. Wink Wink

Hope to see you. 

Shamrocky
Jackie Maciel
Jared

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53 PM »

I've been hanging out with the guys from Focus Kites at Treasure Island this week, they built me an outstanding new custom Jinx UL:

tcope

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 12:18 PM »

What a BLAST!

Friday was great weather, warm and moderate winds. Saturday the winds picked up to 14-17mph. It was still warm. But then Sunday.... what a dream day! Winds about 7mph coming off the ocean and a nice, cool breeze under a warm sun (I'd say around 75 degrees).

Kites filled the sky and the beach was full of people. The event was spread over 1/2 of beach. In walking from one end to the other I saw a lot of spectators. A welcomed sight.

I took a lot of photos and will post them this weekend.

My many thanks to everyone that came out. I met a many new people and a few from this forum. That is always a treat!

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:20 PM »

Here's a few pics I took:
http://sports.webshots.com/album/576417591scxVlV?vhost=sports

sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+78)

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 06:14 PM »

Bill

Glad to see you had a great time at our event! As the festival organizer we do not have a moment to snap a single photo. Is it possible for you to send me a copy of your photos for my personal collection? Send me an email and let me know sunsetflyers@msn.com

Thanks for coming!!!

Sherri Pigeon

Steve & Sherri
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 07:29 PM »

Who won the raffles?

Hal
Helena, MT
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum