GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 03:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E2 vs. E3  (Read 8134 times)
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 08:04 AM »

Did I detect a bit of Fan Boy bashing there Fraz? Grin

Thats outrageous ! I'm not in the least bit homophobic !

-Frazer
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 09:00 AM »

You are not who the e2 was aimed at. If you removed the Hypnotist, Zephyr and QP from that list then maybe you would be a typical e2 flier.

If the kite does not fly to your tastes, then; maybe it's not your cup of tea.

Of course, modding it to your taste: knock yourself out, but don't think for a minute that the kite is entirely FUBAR: it isn't.

Personally, I feel that the e3 is outside the current Prism model progression. It doesn't fit in.

Nexus, Quantum, Hypno, QP, with the Zephyr if you are feeling a bit more freestyley. That's the progression I'm seeing for their market.

Jim:

I don't see the difference between a Prism flier and the typical e2 buyer.  I would consider myself a Prism flier since I own a Nexus, Quantum, Hypnotist, E2, Qpro and soon a Zephyr.  I love the graphics of the E3 but not the reviews I have seen.

What is the target market and does the E3 fly like anything else in the Prism line?

Not having flown an E3 I am confused why it is getting a lukewarm reception. 

Tom
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:19 AM by JimB » Logged
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 12:45 PM »

As I recall, I found the e2 a bit floatier than the Dynamite and quicker or smaller-feeling. And I did find the adjustments useful, especially in UL winds. Otherwise, +1 for you can learn virtually everything on the Dynamite, I think (though without that new-kite excitement).

Norm in Toronto
Ace

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 04:14 AM »

Being a Prism fan I thought i would chime in with my 2 cents.
I recently stopped flying my E2 and have to say +1 on the E2 as a great kite. I haven't flown an E3 yet but I have to say I'm pretty tempted to go buy one just to see what all the fuss is about.
I refuse to believe Prism would release a kite that fly's so crap out of the bag. Shouldn't you be adjusting your inputs to suit the kite? I'm now flying a Nirvana and its very different to the E2 (no brainer there) and after 4 sessions with it still can't do some of the things I could with the E2. But by some peoples logic, does that mean I should modify my Nirvana to fly like the E2, cause that would be CRAZY! Huh so I'll keep flying it till I get better at it and appreciate what its good at.

Same goes for the E3, I think people should keep trying and have patience.

There has been people on the prism forum of late buying the E3 as there FIRST kite and then asking why it doesn't fly (when they haven't assembled it correctly) asking what's the weight for? what's sail tension? and what are yo yo stoppers etc. Clearly the E3 is not a beginners kite.

The issue is....
Beginners are buying it and Trashing it cause its a little too advanced for them (then bad mouthing it)
Intermediates are buying it and butchering it, cause they lose patience and expect something different
and Pro's aren't buying it at all.... Well cause its not a pro kite.

So where does that leave the E3? I think it leaves it exactly where Prism wants it. Targeted at the Pilot looking to advance to the NEXT LEVEL. Someone who is no longer a beginner but not yet an intermediate. Someone who has not developed a bias towards a certain kite or flying style (if there is such a thing) It should be your first trick kite when you know how to fly but can't trick. I mean why would you buy this kite if you can already trick real well. It comes with a beginner Instructional DVD!!!!!!
After all it is an upgrade of an older model kite and the designer has tried to retain some of the forgiveness whilst packing in the modern stuff. It was never going to be a DEEP SPACE or Talon. And at nearly half the price with DVD and lines, you can't beat that!

Good Winds!!! Smiley

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 05:02 AM »

Well put, Ace! I'm sure it's a fine kite because Prism has a solid reputation for its kites. They may not be Bensons or R-Sky's but there's nothing wrong with them for their target market.

I've always maintained that it's more pilot skill than the kite's abilities. The E3 may not do everything that a beginner or intermediate pilot might want but I'll betcha their skills aren't up to it. If that's the case than get a Transfer for lazy susans and snap lazies, a Deep Space for cascades, a Fearless for Jacob's Ladders and a Widow Maker for 540s and Flic Flacs. Or just get one of these high end kites just so you know it can be done and work on technique with the E3.

Me - I'm still working on technique because I'm not consistent with one kite to the next. I'm determined to learn to fly the R-Skys because they're the gold standard. It's not the kite, it's my abilities.

In any case, if it's nice outside and not too hot or too cold and the wind is good, go out, enjoy the day and fly!

Bob D.
anOldMan

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 05:22 AM »

Ace,
Well asaid!  Wink

Maybe it is still a new kite but there has not been a great amount of people saying what they think about the kite "out of the box". I agree that the E3 and the E2 are/were not beginners kites.

The questions for this kite OOTB are:
- How hard is it to learn tricks with the E3?
- Is there an easier kite or kites for learning tricking for the same price?
- How does the E3 match up with other kites of the same price?
- (and the biggest question) How far can you go with the E3 compared to kites of the same value?

It would be interesting to here from some of the "ready for trick time" flyers, who have an E3, what they think about the kite?

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40 AM »

I'd say that, if the only thing you wanted to do was roll up the kite into the yo-yo position, then out of the box, the E3 is what you're looking for.  If you want to do things like: turn in a circle without hitting the ground, perform a side slide, or do a half axel, then OOTB the E3 is not for you.
Ace

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 02:12 PM »

Turn in a circle without hitting the ground?HuhHuh??
A bit much don't you think.  Huh
Its those sorts of comments that make the rest of the more constructive comments less believable. Sad

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 03:47 PM »

Wow....such controversy over this kite....makes me wonder if I even want to post about it.

But...I will. Smiley

My findings on the E3 are not anywhere close to what everyone else seems to be having.  I find that the E3 is actually a very good kite capable of doing plenty of tricks...even flying in a circle without hitting the ground. (what a worthless and degrading comment).

I have flown both the E3 and the E2 and have to say that the E3 is definitely a HUGE upgrade in trick-ability over the (IMO) outdated E2.  The tail weight, while being somewhat simple and light in design, works perfectly on this kite.  The E3 rolls up very easily and has excellent control while rolled / rolling.  It also cascades, flick flack's, slots, JL's, lazy's and more very nicely.  All of these tricks are easier to do on the E3 than on the E2 - especially the roll up maneuvers.  I love the graphics and think they are some of the sharpest ones on the market today.  The kite is just stunning to see in the air.

I also feel that Prism has done a fantastic job with the placement of the E3.  Before the release, the Hypnotist and the E2 were very close in comparison and tricks.  It almost made it not worth the extra money to purchase the E2 because the less expensive Hypno came with the same gear and was nearly as tricky - although slightly heavier.  The E3 has greatly raised the trick-ability over the Hypno with better light wind performance.  I would put the Hypno as a kite for someone who is very new to kiting but wants a kite that can challenge them - and still crashes from time to time.  The E3 is for the pilot who has flown extensively and hardly crashes at all but wants a kite to advance their flying into the slack line tricks that they will not out-grow in a long while.

I was able to take my new E3 out to our local fun fly a couple of weekends and several pilots all had turns on it.  The kite was completely and 100% NEW - Out of the box.  The only adjustments that were done was the bridle adjustment points for wind conditions - and even those adjustments were not needed the first time we flew it.  The kite flew excellently without any problems at all.  There was a bit of adjustments in our flying technique to get use to the E3 over our current kites but that is the same with any kite - regardless of manufacturer or design.  I have to constantly re-train my inputs when moving from my Widow Maker to my Deep Space - just different kites that require different inputs.  Moving from another kite to the E3 will probably require the same.

Overall - we were all very pleased with the E3 and the improvement it was over the E2 - and just how well the kite was able to perform.  We all realize and agree that the E3 is not a Widow Maker, Nirvana or Exile - but then again it doesn't carry the same price tag or is marketed as such.  Would I trade my Widow Maker for it?  Probably not.. Smiley  Would I be happy flying it - definitely yes! (even right out of the box).  MSRP of +- $180.00 with LPG spectra line and Freestyle Pilot DVD makes it a fantastic deal for the up and coming pilot.

Perhaps we were lucky enough to get a specially great E3 and the others on this thread got a bad one.....I doubt it.

Our experiences put the E3 as a fantastic kite, better in design and performance over the E2 and perfect for the pilot looking to move from a beginner style kite into a kite that is very capable of learning and performing many of the newer modern day slack line tricks - without having to pay top dollar for a boutique style high end kite.

Anyways...thats our experiences with the Prism E3 - yours may be vary depending on skill or conditions...or both. Smiley

Ace

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 04:10 PM »

even flying in a circle without hitting the ground. (what a worthless and degrading comment).
I agree completely pointless comment!

thats our experiences with the Prism E3 - yours may be vary depending on skill or conditions...or both
I would say skill more than anything.

Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 04:50 PM »

even flying in a circle without hitting the ground. (what a worthless and degrading comment).
I agree completely pointless comment!

thats our experiences with the Prism E3 - yours may be vary depending on skill or conditions...or both
I would say skill more than anything.

I'm really starting to resent the implications about my (lack of) flying ability. 

I don't claim to be any sort of expert, but I've flown enough dual line kites to know when something is "off."  My Quantum Pros both shipped with upside down bridles, and I knew within 10 minutes of picking them up that something wasn't right.  I had the same feeling with the E3.  Every downward turn I made with the stock E3 ended with the kite hitting the ground.  I stand by the comment.

If you want me to elaborate, I'll go further.  I think that the E3 is a poor choice for an intermediate flyer.  So much has already been said about how today's dual line flyers don't spend enough time working on the fundamentals (stalls, slides, etc) before moving on to flashy, pitch-based tricks.  And yet, here's a kite that punishes every attempt to work on fundamentals, and encourages flailing-arm pitch-based tricks.

And lest you think it's just me, I had handed my stock E3 off to two other experienced local flyers and their impressions matched mine.  Maybe that means the kite I got has failed some sort of quality control test. 
Ace

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 05:33 PM »

Jared
My previous post was in no way directed at you. Apologies if you thought so. It was a broad comment about peoples differing skill level getting different results from this kite.

You mentioned that every downward turn ended with the kite hitting the ground. Shocked Shocked If that were the case obviously something was wrong. I would have stopped flying it and chased some answers. No shame in that.
To keep flying it with something wrong or worse yet give it to others to fly in that state is probably not the best idea.
Have you asked Prism for stock Bridle measurements to see if everything is OK? That would be my first step.
After all it is a mass produced Chinese built kite. (Things can go wrong)

anOldMan

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:54 PM »

Boy, This kite is a Love Hate affair!  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Thank You Gamelord for your comments on the kite. It is the first time someone talked about the kite OOTB and not with modification to make the kite work.

The only thing I sitll have a question about: is this kite for a beginner (someone who can control the kite and wants to start to learn tricks) or an intermediate flyer.

i.e. Is this kite's enjoyment dependent on skill of the flyer?

Prism states the Skill level as Intermediate - advanced. Should it be a beginner's first good stunt kite?  Undecided

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 10:35 PM »

I guess you'd have to ask a beginner.

I thought the kite was pretty good overall. And, I like the "caution tape" graphics. Maybe all the excellent kiters prefer shades of grey, but I think a kite should make a visual statement too.

The box stock one I flew was fine. We did have a LS back off the center ferrule and split during our heavy tricks flying. Don't know the cause, maybe we didn't seat it well to begin with.

To me, intermediate kites are sort of an unknown.

Beginner kites? Sure.

But once you can fly a kite around without crashing, I figure almost anyone can fly the advanced kites. They might not wring out every possible trick, but the kite isn't going to be destroyed. Heck, the kites in the air and slack lined. How hard can it hit the ground anyway?

And I have certainly bounced my share of kites around.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 11:13 PM »

It is really very simple.

Prism tells you exactly what this kite is.

It's a higher aspect (hence the caution tape sections) e2 with stoppers, a weight, and a tweaked bridle.

They consider it to be suitable for intermediate (and above) fliers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document