GWTW Forum
September 14, 2014, 09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E2 vs. E3  (Read 8489 times)
jazznap
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 27, 2009, 03:56 PM »

Would anyone mind giving an opinion on the E2 versus the E3.  Sale price for the E2 is great and very tempting, but at <$30 more for the E3, it is worth the upgrade?

As I'm new to the forum, I'll give a little background.  I used to fly quite a bit, but put down the lines about 8 years ago.  I was never very good, but could do some basic tricks (axels, fades, 540s, lazy susans) with my Prism fanatic, 3D, and Ozone.  I also have an Elixer and original Illusion but were/are saving them for when I get a little better so as note to beat them up.  I figure an E2/E3 would be a good (re)trainer to get back in the swing of things but am debating whether to save $30 for the next kite (there's always a next) or just pony up for the E3.  Sorry, only interested in Prism right now; recovering fanboy.

p.s. I also have an old AirCorps Wild Child, Dodd Gross Dynamite, Alien, Micron, and some SLKs.

Thanks for the help!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:06 PM »

Short and sweet ...
Based on what you've written, my experience on the E2 and E3 I'd say save the $30 and grab an E2, or if you like the Citrus E2 you can save $40.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:00 PM »

Short and sweet ...
Based on what you've written, my experience on the E2 and E3 I'd say save the $30 and grab an E2, or if you like the Citrus E2 you can save $40.

I'd say AMEN to that!

Oops blowing my cover here Lips sealed

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:26 PM »

Go with the e2. And don't adjust anything. It doesn't help. The e2 flies best on the stock settings IMO. Well maybe move the bridle up for light winds, but; that's it.

I have a loaner e3 at the moment, and while I personally find it a much more interesting kite than the e2; it would not be something I'd recommend to someone looking to "get back in the swing of things".

The e3 is downright idiosyncratic. Fliers used to flying some of the more out there kites currently made would probably get it, if not like it, but it certainly is not aimed at the same market as the e2.

Matter of fact I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what group of fliers this kite was targeted at. It's way over the head of the typical e2 buyer.

With a frame upgrade (and graphics downgrade) the e3 might find a market with more advanced fliers. It's kind of heavy (and a bit wobbly) as it is now.

*THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BRIDLE IMO*

That seemed to be a big issue with some buyers, but no.. it is just that sort of kite. It will do all sorts of interesting things if you apply yourself. You really *do* need to apply yourself though.

It is not a happy smiley "get back in the swing of things" type kite so; skip it until you get a chance to fly one and then maybe you will just *have* to have one.

Personally, I think you should fly the Dynamite to destruction and then decide where to go from there.

JMO, HTH, YMMV
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:36 PM by JimB » Logged
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:42 PM »

I second flying the Dynamite until you get your feet wet again. Then if you need to buy Prism get a Zephyr or Quantum Pro.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 05:10 AM »

It's way over the head of the typical e2 buyer.

So are you saying the kite is good but the typical owner doesn't have the skills?  I have heard so many negative things about this kite with many making significant modifications  to the bridle it is not clear what is wrong.  If the typical Prism buyer can't fly it out of the box it would seem the kite is doomed.
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:23 AM »

So are you saying the kite is good but the typical owner doesn't have the skills?  I have heard so many negative things about this kite with many making significant modifications  to the bridle it is not clear what is wrong.  If the typical Prism buyer can't fly it out of the box it would seem the kite is doomed.

Yes, thats right - thats what hes saying - the typical Prism owner doesn't have the skills.

And I concur.

-Frazer
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:54 AM »

Yes, thats right - thats what hes saying - the typical Prism owner doesn't have the skills.

And I concur.

-Frazer

I guess I have to hope I'm not the typical Prism owner... I found the stock E3 to be a very disappointing experience.  Altering the bridle, the kite became much more predictable and (dare I say) enjoyable.
streamhawk
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:09 AM »

I do not own a E3, but from all accounts I've read, I'd shy away from it. On the other hand, the E2 is a very reliable trainer, a good mid level kite for all purposes. The Elixir you already have is a very capable, if not a great ol skool kite, I'd stick with what you have until you are ready to upgrade, or get the E2. I find that for feel on the lines, with added axis based tricks, a somewhat similar kite to the Elixir is the Blue Moon Exile, a very fine kite for sure. Within the Prism line, the QPro is very demanding of correct inputs, but a much better kite than either of the E's...the Zeph is the more fun flier, less demanding, with a wider wind range, especially on the low end.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:04 AM by streamhawk » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 07:15 AM »

if anything, id grab the e2 and use the dynamite for getting your feet wet again forsure. then use the e2 to learn the tricks, and the elixir to solidify them. thats just me. thats actually what I did with both my e2s and elixir. When I had all the tricks i wanted to learn down, I sold them and passed them on. I leared alot from both kites.
Its just my opinion, but I'd go with that setup.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
jazznap
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:23 AM »

Thanks for all the input!  I plan on using the Dynamite and getting as much as I can out of it, but there's something about getting a new kite that adds that extra excitement.  It sounds like an E2 is in my near future.  Since I know I'll want something else (and also have my eye on a BMK 69/14) once I progress a bit, saving a little aside for the kite fund helps.  My initial plan was to use the Dynamite and E2 to "practice" and then use the Elixer to firm and it sounds like that's about the right course.  Thanks again for all the help.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:54 AM »

I did not say anything about Prism Fliers. I said "typical e2 buyer"

This kite is a bit much for the person upgrading from their 2nd or 3rd kite IMO.

It would be a disaster as a first kite.

The e2 has fairly placid handling characteristics. The e3: not so much. You can tune it and mod it to be an e2 but then; what's the point? Just buy the e2 in that case.

The e3 is sort of a surly, cantankerous, e2, which is what makes it interesting. I just don't think it hits the same target market.

It's way over the head of the typical e2 buyer.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:33 AM by JimB » Logged
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:02 AM »

Jim:

I don't see the difference between a Prism flier and the typical e2 buyer.  I would consider myself a Prism flier since I own a Nexus, Quantum, Hypnotist, E2, Qpro and soon a Zephyr.  I love the graphics of the E3 but not the reviews I have seen.

What is the target market and does the E3 fly like anything else in the Prism line?

Not having flown an E3 I am confused why it is getting a lukewarm reception. 

Tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 04:54 AM »

I didn't like the E3 until I spent over 3 hours of test & tune time on it. I ended up making basically the same modifications that Jared made, and now it flies pretty much like the E2. With yoyo stoppers. It really just brought it back within the familiar Prism 'feel'. Out of the bag, stock, it flew unlike ANY kite that I have, not in a fun way. After 5 minutes, I wanted to land it and fly something else because it was wasting my flying time. I messed with it, it got a little better, but still, anything else in the bag was more satisfying to fly.
After listening to a more skilled flier who was flying a stock E3 for the first time, I returned mine to stock settings again. I tried to get along with it and give it more of a chance, it just wasn't happening. I applied the common bridle modifications, and at least the kite is fun to fly and looks good doing it, now.
It amazes me that I never had to touch the bridle on my E2, or most other Prism kites. Or most of ANY of my other kites.
~Rob.

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 07:59 AM »

I gotta agree with Jim................
I'm amazed that every one wants to get the new kite and mod it to fly like another kite in their bag..................you need to apply yourself to releasing what the designer put into it and if you don't want to, pass it on to someone who might?

Did I detect a bit of Fan Boy bashing there Fraz? Grin

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document