GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3/4 Winds Discussion  (Read 1146 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: October 29, 2009, 10:05 PM »

It seems to me that there are 3 kinds of wind (perhaps 4).

- standard wind that we all dream of (3-10)
- low wind (<3)
- high wind (14+)
- no wind (indoor)

Then, you've got wind quality (smooth vs bumpy) that makes it more difficult no matter the speed.

Some basics apply, but the skills needed to fly in each of these seem different to me (timing, input strength, movement).  I've known some guys that are great high wind flyers that can't do much at all in <4 as well as guys  that are amazing at the low and slow stuff, but fall apart when the wind picks up.

What are your thoughts?

6 kite tom
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44 PM »

it could just be where i am in terms of my learning progression, but it seems there are tricks which like more wind, and tricks which prefer less wind. knowing what tricks are possible given the wind conditions appears to be, to me, a prime factor in your success completing tricks.

that said, a large repertoire of available tricks would broaden one's wind range by allowing them to execute a subset group of tricks at any point given the conditions.

however, i can also see, as time and skill moves forward, one could overcome this limitation and thus produce a great flier. one who can do whichever trick desired, essentially on demand, in almost any conditions.

if you look, you can find video of debray doing jacobs ladders in what appears to be hurricane winds, amazing.

Fdeli
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:57 PM »

as for your winds thoughts i agree, but would say there's 4.

no wind - light
light - light/medium
medium - medium heavy
heavy

i know those seem to be the usual break points, but to me there's overlap in the light/medium categories. if standard kites are the kites of choice in say 4-10 mph winds there are definitely kites which prefer the 4-7mph half of the range than others which prefer the 7-10mph half of the range. so i'd make the distinction between top half and bottom half standards, referring to the light/heavy side of the standard wind range they prefer.

just my 2 cents.

Fdeli
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:04 AM »

I'd agree with there being three types of wind, i.e. light, standard and heavy.
No wind, is an indoor kite being flown outside, on short lines.

I think most fliers, fear higher winds. I know that I did. Like learning to fly, in light winds, learning to fly in high winds requires experience to become comfortable with it and learn what tricks can be done in it.

Jay

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:30 AM »

guys  that are amazing at the low and slow stuff, but fall apart when the wind picks up
Guilty  Embarrassed

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36 AM »

I think there is a 4th category. Those times when you don't feel any wind on your skin but trying to fly an indoor kite outdoors on indoor line lengths doing up and overs and 360s is extremely frustrating.

Times when you see smoke consistently going in one direction - wind is way too low to fly most SULs but still "puffy" enough to inhibit Indoor style flying.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document