GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 06:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cynique & lazy cascade tricks  (Read 2388 times)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: October 29, 2009, 11:20 PM »

so is the difference between a cascading lazy susan and a cynique the position of the nose of the kite when it reverses direction?

it would appear in a cynique the nose of the kite is pointed towards you, and in a lazy cascade the nose would be pointed away.

is this true?

there's not easy info on the cynique, and not many videos.

i've not tried it yet, is it a really hard trick or something? from what i can tell it looks cool, and am wondering why more people aren't doing it?

F¡deli°
fidelio

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:28 PM »

btw - if my above post was vague on the definition of the trick, from what i can tell it would be:

lazy cascade - a reversing rotational trick with the kite in a (nose away) turtle position.
cynique - a reversing rotational trick with the kite in a (nose in) turtle position.

the difference in the cynique between a nose towards you turtle position and just being a fade, is that with a fade your lines are across the leading edge, where a "nose in turtle" would have the lines underneath the kite and across the trailing edge.

F¡deli°
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:40 PM »

The Cynique is a type of Lazy Cascade characterized by hard, one could say violent, reversals with the kite in a nose deep position. While it is not entirely kite-dependent, it is safe to say that kites that sit nose deep and take some getting out of a backflip make it much, much easier to execute.

It can be very hard on a kite.
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:19 AM »

Check out this video at 4:09:

Le Transfer xt.s

There is a freeze-frame showing just how much stress a kite is under during a Cynique, then a Five rotation Cynique that goes into a Multi-Lazy.

The Transfer series of kites is one of the easier designs to do these on. Nonetheless, check out those spreaders in the freeze-frame Huh and let's not forget the sail damage one can inflict... not for the faint of heart.

This is one of my fav vids BTW.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:33 AM by JimB » Logged
kjdubuque
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:00 AM »

That freeze frame is cool shot.  I would have no idea the spreaders are getting stressed that much watching it in full speed.  I have to say those are the nicest looking multi-lazies I've seen.

Kris
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:30 AM »

I have not seen anyone reverse a lazy rotation with the nose toward the pilot, live or on video.

I was under the impression that the point was timing: 

If you pause between the rotation (at the time of reversal), it's just lazy-susans in opposite directions, which might be unofficially a 'lazy cascade' (multi or single rotation doesn't matter).  If you immediately reverse (usually just a few degrees before the last full rotation) without pause, it's a cynique.  The cynique doesn't pause in the turtle, whereas a lazy cascade does.  The pause essentially makes it go from 'trick' to 'trick sequence'.  It's the immediately reversal that defines the cynique for me at least.  In TP there MIGHT also be a stipulation of only one rotation per reversal, if it's even an official TP trick yet? 

I think a very similar rule has been applied to the backspin cascade.  If you pause in the fade between reversals, you are not doing a backspin cascade.  Rather, you are doing successive backspins in opposite directions. 

Oh yeah, forgot the other question.  Yeah, it's hard.  Give it a whirl.  It will make nearly every other trick in your repetoire look EASY.  Incidentially, yo-yo cyniques are 'easier' because of bridle position differences. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:36 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:37 AM »

The reason for the sudden reversal after a single rotation is that, when Cyniques first reared their ugly heads, you had to force the kite nose deep and then bang it back and forth just to get through it.

Now there are kites, like the Transfer, that are totally comfortable with reversing the spin on their backs: so much so that that the Cynique is a comparitive giveaway on them.

That wasn't always the case.

Almost any trick that reverses movement could be said to be cascading. For more rotations I suppose the term would be something like a Multi Cynique.

And it was not an official TP trick, at least in TPUSA, the last time I looked.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:49 AM by JimB » Logged
fidelio

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 02:28 PM »

obi - check this out! (between 00:04 and 00:10) if that's not it, i don't know what it is. what do you think of that?

Entrée cynique pour une cascade de backspines

jim - you're right, that's a great video. wow that kite looks framed in rubber bands. Tongue
so what you're talking about is what we see in this video, a pretty straight forward lazy cascade with a snubbed nose if you will.

Cascades de cyniques cv Diablis

thanks for trying to help me figure this out. it's the top video which has added to my confusion as to what the trick is.

F¡deli°
711jrp

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:52 PM »

obi - check this out! (between 00:04 and 00:10) if that's not it, i don't know what it is. what do you think of that?

Entrée cynique pour une cascade de backspines

I'm not Obi but thats a shove it folowed by a backspin cascade.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:12 PM »

A local flier, who will go all out in trying a step of a trick, to see what happens. If it leads to a broken spar, then that is the price. He has had many of those heavy sounding crashes, where everybody on the field, looks to see if the kite is still in one piece. Usually all he has to do, is put the top spreader back in, and he is off.

After he got his Fearless, he became interested in learning the Cynique. I asked him a short time later how was the Cynique coming along? He had stopped doing the trick, because he thought it was too hard on the kite!

Jay
fidelio

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 04:45 PM »

I'm not Obi but thats a shove it folowed by a backspin cascade.
ahhh, i see it now. for some reason my brain was putting the lines under the kite instead of over it.

F¡deli°
portley777

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 04:53 PM »

Nothing like a raunchy XTS video to start the day off Wink

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08 AM »

I just noticed there is a rolled up Cynique starting at about 7:28 in that Transfer vid...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document