GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 01:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a River Kite?  (Read 998 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: October 30, 2009, 07:50 AM »

This artist is stretching the term kite a bit.....but it is a neat way to play in the moving water (he also makes some AMAZING metalwork and sculptures as well as skin on frame kayaks!)
River Kite Whitewater Test

http://dbynoe.blogspot.com/search/label/River%20Kite

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 12:26 AM »

This has potential! If I lived near a river, I could imagine working on something like this! (And if there were a bridge that ran over the river, the "river kite" could "fly" symmetrically, like a sport kite or a fighter kite!)

Norm in Toronto
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 05:52 PM »

There is potential there, I wonder if back before bridges in the day of ferry's to cross rivers if anybody ever created an unpowered ferry using that sort of system. An anchor in the middle of the river or in a curve of the river and a long enough line. A bit of genius in there.

I'd be taking that idea to the Military as a quick deploy river crossing, surely faster then the current "Quick deploy" bridges they use. I know they've paid good money for worse idea's in the past.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:56 PM »

Now that you mention it, I'm sure I saw a spot on Discovery channel (www.discoverychannel.ca in Canada) featuring a similar but larger gizmo that was designed to help rescue people who got caught in rapids! The thing had enough flotation to help a victim, plus it was attached to two strong lines (for steering out into the rapids).

Danged if I can find it online now. . .

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum