GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 11:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sail stretch  (Read 2260 times)
kitechick
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: October 30, 2009, 05:39 PM »

I've been warned by a few people of flying in too high of winds for a kite and stretching the sail. How do I know how much wind is too much? Can I fly to the upper end of the stated wind range for the kite without stretch? What are the repercusions of a stretched sail?

Fyi, I fly a silver fox and widow maker UL (though I'm not a flyer worthy of it).

Laura
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:44 PM »

if your skin stretches the spars will no longer fit....
but the only kites that I know of that really have a stretching problem would be any kite made of carrington (Mostly uk kites from the late 90s)....

fly the kite....enjoy it.....if it gets stretched out then it is a perfect reason to get a new kite!!!!!

r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:56 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Your Widow Maker is made of icarex. It won't stretch. I doubt that your Silver Fox is made of a material that's prone to stretching either. Just fly them and have fun.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:40 PM »

Yup, stretching isn't an issue with modern kites. Even with nylon sails that can stretch, its more a matter of overall airtime than incidents of extreme wind. In high wind breaking sticks and lines is more a concern. A framing failure in high wind can lead to severe sail damage. Make sure all your fittings are snug.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03 PM »

Even though the WM UL is made from Icarex, I wouldn't recommend taking it out in anything much over 8ish mph max.

normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:31 AM »

In the case of sailboat sails -- which often go out in pretty strong winds -- stretch ends up being a serious problem, even in Dacron or ripstop nylon sails. (Icarex is still rare on boats.) It's usually most noticeable right near the trailing edge, especially when there's a hem (and/or a "luff line") along the edge.

The hem is strong, so it doesn't stretch, but the cloth adjacent to the hem stretches and makes a billow, like a Frisbee. I bet a well-used (or abused) kite might start showing a similar Frisbee profile toward the end of its life. . .

Norm in Toronto
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:56 AM »

so why can't we get kites made of end of life pre-stretched sail material? Cheesy

Fdeli
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:37 AM »

so why can't we get kites made of end of life pre-stretched sail material? Cheesy

Because most sail cloth is too heavy to use in sport kites. Its only the light spinnaker cloth that's used.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 03:05 PM »

then i guess it's good science's journey is to head towards lighter, and stronger, as opposed to my own journey which is heavier, and weaker.

Fdeli
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:39 AM »

As it happens I can supply as many blown out sails as you require for making pre stretched kites. Just send me a message and I will give you a approximate cost for said saggy baggy pre stretched gear.

[attachment deleted by admin]
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:05 PM »

Problem with "pre-stretch" is that it's not much newer than the stuff that tears wide open. Sails have a tough life. Lots of UV, they're usually out for a LOT of hours each summer, they often spend too much time ragging or luffing, e.g. at a dock, while towing, while motoring, while slowing down or "heaving to", etc.

And some people roll them up tight and then let the roll BEND, which does a remarkably good job of destroying the finish! At least our "sticked" kites are safe from that particular abuse, thank Heaven!

The good news is that if you can find a sailor who races seriously/competitively and hardly ever social-sails "just for fun", you may be able to find a good source of not very tired coated fabric. Usually it's the spinnakers -- typically made of coated ripstop nylon, often 3/4-oz. -- that would be of most interest to a kite maker.

Me, I think I still have a smallish hand-me-down (dinghy) hand-me-down spinnaker stuffed into a bag in the basement somewhere, waiting for me to make a big NASA ParaWing out of it. It's probably been waiting a dozen years already. . .I think I got as far as peeling off the Rip-Air tape from some of the rips.

Norm in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document