GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Axel  (Read 5403 times)
benjai
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:27 AM »

I made a little video to try to explain half-axels a little while back too. Actually, I was trying out multi-camera synchronisation and the HA was a good trick to use... Maybe it helps a little?

Half Axels
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 05:07 PM »

woohoo, look at you go. nice video benjai. Smiley

Fdeli
anOldMan

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27 PM »

Ben, Very good video. Had a little problem matching the inputs from you with the actions of the kite. Haveing the camera view between the kite and the flyer is different. Very nice action of the kite.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:36 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
chrispie

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 01:45 AM »

Hi all.. my half axels is finally getting somewhere... started with the left side.. only to find that im struggling with the right.

Question.. when i do my half axel, at times (especially on the right side) when the kite goes into the flare position, rather then it being flat on its belly then turn into opposite direction with a small input on the inside hand to bring the previously bottom wing up, it goes nose up (about 45 deg upwards, but still on its belly, nose away from me). What is the key reason for that? (sure hope u guys understood what i said)

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00 PM »

I use the top/top method myself and very aggressively as explained above, no stall needed. Slack the top line just a bit 6 - 12 inches then hammer it hard and give slack with both hands, how hard depends on wind conditions, the higher the wind the harder you hit it. I don't feel I really do a second input to bring the wing back up like you would do in a cascade, since I'm planning on exiting and flying off in the opposite direction I just pull back hard and evenly with both hands after the kite has rotated a bit past the 90 degree point. If you gave too much slack or the winds are lower you may need a step back too. That grabs what will be the bottom wing, the furthest away from you at that point, and pulls it back out, so I guess you could say that was a second input since it will hit that furthest wing first but it's one movement in my mind. It brings the kite out with a satisfying almost drum like pop to the sail in higher winds. I like that immediate reversal, pop, and acceleration out, hence the two hand pull, benjia shows it at 1:45 above.

That Widow Maker thrives on this method, really  Grin

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:08 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chrispie

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 09:29 PM »

I use the top/top method myself and very aggressively as explained above, no stall needed. Slack the top line just a bit 6 - 12 inches then hammer it hard and give slack with both hands, how hard depends on wind conditions, the higher the wind the harder you hit it. I don't feel I really do a second input to bring the wing back up like you would do in a cascade, since I'm planning on exiting and flying off in the opposite direction I just pull back hard and evenly with both hands after the kite has rotated a bit past the 90 degree point. If you gave too much slack or the winds are lower you may need a step back too. That grabs what will be the bottom wing, the furthest away from you at that point, and pulls it back out, so I guess you could say that was a second input since it will hit that furthest wing first but it's one movement in my mind. It brings the kite out with a satisfying almost drum like pop to the sail in higher winds. I like that immediate reversal, pop, and acceleration out, hence the two hand pull, benjia shows it at 1:45 above.

That Widow Maker thrives on this method, really  Grin

darn.. how did u know im eyeing the Widow Maker intently...  Undecided

On the part where u mentioned about Benjia's video, you noticed that he has 3 inputs too..

Say kite is flying to left, he does a small pop with left, the bigger pop with right (now kite turns into flare), and he has a very minute pull on the left hand again to bring the once lower wing up before flying off..

I had been thinking about the problem where my flare tends to get too nose up..  i reckon that i could be popping too hard with the right hand, and was too late to recover, and thus the kite goes nose up when it hits the wind as it flys away in the flare. U guys think im right?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:34 PM by chrispie » Logged

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 11:38 PM »

darn.. how did u know im eyeing the Widow Maker intently...  Undecided

On the part where u mentioned about Benjia's video, you noticed that he has 3 inputs too..

Could be your avatar of the colorizer  Wink

Yeah he uses the bottom/top method too, both are acceptable, and they can be kite specific too. Technically I think Benjia's method is the more widely accepted. Just pointing out there are often different ways to do the same thing, one may work better for you or for your kite then another method.

Try both

Steve started a thread a few weeks ago about just that, sort of a 'is it a 540 if it's a 540 flat spin initiated from a vertical downward flight even though you didn't push to initiate flare?' - I don't think a consensus was ever reached.

BTW the Widow Maker has been my kite of choice for a couple years now ... just in case you need a little push to get one. I just get along with it, and it gets along with me  Grin

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
benjai

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 05:29 AM »

Say kite is flying to left, he does a small pop with left, the bigger pop with right (now kite turns into flare), and he has a very minute pull on the left hand again to bring the once lower wing up before flying off..

I had been thinking about the problem where my flare tends to get too nose up..  i reckon that i could be popping too hard with the right hand, and was too late to recover, and thus the kite goes nose up when it hits the wind as it flys away in the flare. U guys think im right?

Yep... I think you're spot on - it's either the second input into the flare is too agressive, or else you don't choke the flare off with the final input. In high winds, this is the way I do it so the whole thing is rather agressive. It's also a good way to make the sail make a loud snap... (not the sticks hopefully), but it does stress the frame of the kite. You can stop the nose going high by restricting the amount of slack you give after the flare input - actually to the point where you switch the tension between the lines without both being slack. Of course, on the Widowmaker, if you get into a nose-high flare, just give a strong recovery tug and lots of slack and you'll make all your buddies jeaslous by making a perfect Taz... The Widowmaker gives them away...

HTH.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:33 AM by benjai » Logged
chrispie

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 07:24 AM »

thanks for all the advise.. just ordered my Widow Maker...

3rd kite in 3 months..  Tongue

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 01:14 PM »

thanks for all the advise.. just ordered my Widow Maker...

3rd kite in 3 months..  Tongue

Cheesy  Cheesy   ^ ^ ^     Hook, Line & Sinker  Cheesy  Cheesy

Welcome to the club

Got a nice bag going, hope you enjoy the Widow Maker, it made a lot of things easier for me, or at least gave me the first succesfull atempts at a lot of tricks.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:24 PM by mikenchico » Logged

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 03:08 PM »

Call me a proud dad, I post this one every chance I get.  This was my son a year ago - you should see him now!  We only flew the kite for a day - it is easy to work with right off.

Widow Maker Demo Kite

6 kite tom
chrispie

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 04:30 PM »

wow! He is good! Im 5% there... slowly slowly...

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change