GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Cellular: Andromeda Px9  (Read 3633 times)
Fore Check
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 06, 2009, 03:22 AM »

I posted this over at Kitebuilder and thought I'd share here.   Cool

Yeah...

...I built that.   Tongue

It's a 9 celled Pely kite, with some minor mods.  The cells are 24" tall along the longerons, about 22" deep at the masts (2/3 of a SkyShark tube,) the cells are 45 degree angles, and the wings are 22" wide to match the width of the cells.

It's framed with SS P300 longerons and spreaders, P200 masts.

Here's some pics after spending a few hours in the air on Tuesday afternoon (11/3/09) from the shakedown flight.  It's about 13' wide at the top and 6' tall in the center.

The colors are flourescent blue with Challenge dark blue; Challenge flourescent orange with Challenge orange; and Challenge white with Challenge gray.

All of the panel edges are curved to a 3.5% depth, and it's edged in 3/4 oz black RSN.

This thing was a *lot* of work, but I think it was worth it!   Cool

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:02 AM by Fore Check » Logged
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:06 AM »

hey that's crazy cool. awesome job man. Cool i really dig your color choices.

with her being 13' wide, how does she travel?
and just purely out of curiosity, how much did the bundle of sticks weigh?

sweet kite you've made there.

FĄdeli°
Fore Check

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:53 AM »

Thanks! 

As far as breakdown, the masts are in 2 pieces ferruled at the T's in the middle of each cell.  After de-tensioning the sails at the wing tips, they get removed from the ferrule and remain attached to the kite at the bridge between the points.  The spreaders get removed and the longerons remain.  For storage or travel (I haven't done this yet, those pics were after initial framing, rigging, and from the first flight) it will roll up into a tube centered around the longerons, about 6' long.  I suppose I could remove the center-most 2 longerons and break them down for a shorter tube, but I don't think this is necessary (for me, personally) - I have no problem with a tube that long or a bit longer (I've got a few  Wink )

As far as weight of the spars:  It has 21 SkyShark P300 tubes cut up in various lengths (not all continuous, but it uses that many) and 6 SkyShark P200 tubes (again, not all continuous)

According to the published or catalog weights of those tubes, the frame would weigh 444 grams or 15.7 oz (nearly 1 lb) - but that doesn't include the ferrules and fittings.

It has quite a bit of sail area and it feels very light for its size in hand.  It seems to float at times.  Doesn't requre much wind at all.   Undecided
Hal
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:24 AM »

Very well done!  That's a lot of sewing.

jazznap
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:56 AM »

Wow!  That's amazing.  What a beautiful kite.  I can't imagine the time and skill that went into building it.  Have fun flying it!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:05 AM »

That's a lot of edge binding. 
But what a great looking build.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Fore Check

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13 AM »

Thanks!  The edge binding was no big deal, really.  Biggest pain was hot cutting all of the strips; I used 3/4" wide strips of 0.75 oz Ripstop single-folded (3/8" finished width)

I have a couple of videos too -   Smiley

They're from a couple from differing vantage points.  The first is on a short tether and the kite was being affected by ground buffets to a degree; The second I let out about another 100' of line and put it in some smoother air.  Weather page said 12 mph, I think it was closer to 10.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/fore_check/Andromeda%20Px9/First%20Flight%20110309/?action=view&current=MOV09751.flv

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/fore_check/Andromeda%20Px9/First%20Flight%20110309/?action=view&current=MOV09777.flv
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:15 AM by Fore Check » Logged
Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32 AM »

Very pretty. Very, very pretty.

Must have taken forever to make. Simply stunning.

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
normofthenorth

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 07:22 PM »

"All of the panel edges are curved to a 3.5% depth"?

Does that mean that you subtly scalloped all the panels (A smooth, maybe round curve, and the maximum scallop depth is 3.5% the length of the edge?) so that the tension along the edges would make everything lie flat, rather than creating little tension pleats along the edges?

If so, "wow" and "yikes"!! If not, please explain!

Norm in Toronto
Fore Check

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:14 AM »

"All of the panel edges are curved to a 3.5% depth"?

Does that mean that you subtly scalloped all the panels (A smooth, maybe round curve, and the maximum scallop depth is 3.5% the length of the edge?) so that the tension along the edges would make everything lie flat, rather than creating little tension pleats along the edges?

If so, "wow" and "yikes"!! If not, please explain!

Yes, that's exactly right.   Wink

If you look at the pictures above of the kite on the ground, a few of the perspective shots really show that the black bound edges are all curved.

What I do is draw and print my templates in AutoCAD.  This makes it very easy to draw the arc at whatever depth you want.  I first draw the panel with straight edges, then I use the offset function to copy the edge lines inward to whatever depth I calculate (3.5% of the span of the edge in the case of this kite) and then drawn an arc whose center is the midpoint of the offset line and endpoints are the original sail corners.  AutoCad makes it a smooth curve going through those three points like snap-bang-done.

I then print out my templates on our large format printer, tape them to Matte board (like picture framing matte that I get from Hobby Lobby when it's on sale) and cut the templates out with an x-acto or excel hobby knife. 

Thanks for the comments!   Grin

normofthenorth

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:56 AM »

Wow!

Norm in Toronto
Fore Check

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:17 AM »

These pics are from a previous build (a different kite) but it shows what I was describing above regarding the templates.

After drawing in AutoCAD and printing, it is applied to Matte Board and then cut out with a hobby knife.  I've already started in this pic:

The curves are cut in a couple of passes with a slow, steady hand:

Cutting finished before removal of the scraps:

Finished Template:

The template is used to trace the pattern on to the fabric and then the fabric is cut by hand with a hobby knife (only I use a finer, #11 blade and handle for cutting the fabric)  The steel straight edge is used for the straight lines and the curves are cut freehand.

That template was used to make the black and white center panel on this kite:

Blownfuse
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 01:53 PM »

Which is also gorgeous ! You donīt happen to sell some of your work off, now and then, to make room for your amazing new builds, do you ?
 Wink

Best ever consultation ! Doctors order : Go fly a kite !  (literally, no joke)
Fore Check

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 01:57 PM »

Which is also gorgeous ! You donīt happen to sell some of your work off, now and then, to make room for your amazing new builds, do you ?
 Wink

A flattering question...   Smiley

But alas, can a fella have too many kites? Wink Selling them would be like selling your children. Huh  Too much love gone in to making them.   Cheesy Cheesy
Adicakes
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 05:17 PM »

I don't own any SLKs but I do appreciate great work and what you've shown us here is 100% awesome.  Excellent job, you're obviously a clever chap. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography