GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vented Kites  (Read 2189 times)
Geoffrey Platt
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: November 07, 2009, 08:54 PM »

Hey folks!!

I have been thinking about adding a vented kite to my collection for those odd really windy day. I have honestly never flown one and would only be able to fly it a few days out of the year. So I am a little hesitant about spending a lot of money on one. Doe's anyone have any suggestions??? Would it be worth still investing the $$$$$. I'm torn. I love flying my Deep Space and Debray replica Nirvana on fairly windy days and my new favorite UL is my newly acquired Talon. I'd love to order a Talon Vented, but it is pretty $$$$$$ especially with the exchange presently. Thoughts??

Geoffrey Platt
Orlando, FL
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:41 PM »

Take a look at the Mantis VV.  It's a great kite and quality made by Ken McNeill.  I think there's one in the swap meet for a very good price.
BTW, the Mantis VV is smooth flying kite.

Gardner
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 09:48 PM »

Hi Geoff

I L-O-O-O-V-E my Vented SOUL from Flying Wings.  Very tricky, very light pull on windy days, and very much like the standard SOUL.  Strong wind days used to be reserved for vented Revs only - now I get to fly a two liner.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:30 PM »

What wind speeds are you thinking of flying a vented dualie?

If you're thinking of winds above 15 mph, I would rule out the Vented Soul, which I really like, just not quite that much wind.

Just because a kite has vents, doesn't mean it will handle the winds you are hoping to fly in.

My most heavily vented kite is the Vented Voodoo and it has an upper limit of about 25 mph, at which point I have to park it at the top and wait for the wind to die down.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
portley777
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 11:38 PM »

Vented Talon rocks and is a good companion to the UL (which I have too). It's much easier to trick than others I've owned but I haven't tried them all of course. The Talon V is not great in variable strong wind though. I have an XTS VV that is better in wobbly big wind (but physical). However, just my opinion Smiley  Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
Mike

kite a fly go
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 03:34 AM »

I love my vtd Talon.
Much more than any other vented that I had tried...

The new Frank!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 06:13 AM »

I'd definitely recommend a variable vented - a heavily vented kite offers little to 'pop against' so they feel gutless. With variable venting you can use just as much as you need and still keep the kite responsive.

My personal favourite is the Mantis V2 - with all the vents open, wah pads and heavy lines its still flyable in very strong winds but close all the vents and it can save you changing back to a std when the wind drops.

ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:17 AM »

Mantis V2.  You can easily adjust to the amount of wind.  In the photo linked to BMK in the sponsor section, you can see a V2 partially vented.  Plus it is a really sharp looking kite.

Ken just announced some changes to the Muse over in his forum, including adding a vented version.  He doesn't have the details out yet, but you can also look into that if you are looking for a little cost savings.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 06:44 AM »

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:03 AM »

1+ for the Talon vent.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 02:14 PM »

If you're thinking of winds above 15 mph, I would rule out the Vented Soul, which I really like, just not quite that much wind.

15?  That's when I take out the removable panels, and go from part to full vent  Smiley

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:53 PM »

How trickable is the Talon VV in the mid teens?

I give up with my Nirvana VV at that speed because I'm not fast enough or have long enough arms to be able to do much. I get out my Revs then as much as I'd rather fly the duals. Should I think about the Talon?

Bob D.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 06:16 PM »

I give up with my Nirvana VV at that speed because I'm not fast enough or have long enough arms to be able to do much. I get out my Revs then as much as I'd rather fly the duals. Should I think about the Talon?

It tricks well in the mid teens.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
oldflyer

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 12:59 AM »

My vote would be for either the Talon vented or a full vent sea devil both very different but both great in higher winds.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 03:16 AM »

....It is a Talon.... Wink

The new Frank!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document